cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having issues viewing interactive parameters and group tree in Visual Studio 2013 design view.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Guys,

I'm a web developer (front end and back end, kind of a one man army sort of deal) and my current employer wishes to use crystal reports to display the results of the online survey apps/tools I have been working on for the last few months. However, I have been having trouble getting the reports to render in browser, and a lot of the ui components of the browser based report viewer (the interactive parameters and group tree) will not render properly in the design view of visual studio (ive attached a screen cap of what I'm talking about) or in the browser itself.

I am new to crystal reports and its community and if I am leaving out any critical details or have posted in the incorrect section please inform me and I will make changes as necessary.

Additional info:

Visual studio version: 2013 professional (trial)

Plugin version (exe file name): CRforVS_13_0_9.exe (I also installed the 64 bit run-time from this)

Server and OS versions: IIS 7.5 on Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2

Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

-Mike

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mike

First thing you want to do is uninstall CRVS SP 9 and install CRVS SP 10. SP 10 is the first SP to support VS 2013.

Once that is done, let us know if that helped any.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay I did as you suggested and installed the newer service pack (and also the run-time that came with it), but I'm still in the same state I was previously. Suggestions?

Also on a side note, would it be better/more reliable to use an older version of visual studios + plugin? If so could you suggest a pairing?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No. You definitely do not want to use older version of the plug in. Like I said, SP 10 was the 1st SP to support VS 2013...

As for the issue, it looks like the viewer is not configured correctly. Check on the CR assemblies you are referencing in your project. They should be 13.x. If that is the case, have look at this blog re. configuring the viewer:

Visual Studio 2012 Crystal Report not working on Windows Server 2012/ 0x800a1391 – JavaScr...

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Awesome. While this still did not render the reports properly within visual studio itself, the reports and GUI seem to render perfectly in browser. Thanks for your assistance Ludek, your support has been invaluable. I will be sure to return here should I run into more issues.

0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

Another thing, DO NOT INSTALL the runtime redist packages on your DEV PC, not required to do this, if I read your steps correctly.

Also, move your code from the Page_Load to the Page_Init section. Not sure why the Template always put the code into the Load section, not correct according to the standards.

Another thing, the CR Viewer in the VS IDE is NOT 100% WYSIWYG, it's for basic layout validation and basic design. It  does not have the full functionality the full version of CRD has nor does it properly render the report for either a WEB or Windows app.

To verify the report run your app in debug mode.

Also, depending on how you created the project depends on if you see black boxes where some controls should be. Do not use a blank WEB Form app, known issues with IISExpress, Create either a CR WEB App or a WEB app with CR Viewer embedded in it.

Search, you find issues and other noted limitations and how to's with CR in VS 2013.

Don

Answers (0)