Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repetitive vs discrete question

swathi_rege
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I was doing my research and found this document

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/ERPLO/Discrete+Manufacturing+Vs+Repetitive+Manufacturing

the 2nd point says if the product change is frequent then use discrete, if not use repetitive...

my question is, even if the product change is frequent, I can still go by repetitive correct?

so please help me what questions we need to ask the business/process people to make sure we make a correct decision?

thx

swathi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

swathi_rege
Active Participant
0 Kudos

also the 4th point in the above link is confusing..

even if I put semifinished into stock/inventory, I can still use repetitive to produce that,. correct?

just that i am putting my semifinished to inventory, that doesnt mean I should not use repetitive for that material.. am i correct?

in our plant we have two types of production lines

feeder line - one line which makes M0 and taken into inventory and then moved to 6 assembly lines..

assembly line - 6 lines (for 6 finished products)

in every assembly line we use M0 with other components to make finished product..

so M0 is produced exclusively on feeder line and taken into inventory... that doesnt mean its not repetitive.. right?

former_member184655
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Swathi,

Your understanding is correct.Let me put it in more of SAP terms,

Yes semi finished products can be put into stock mapping in repetitive manufacturing and the other

major benefits would be using the standard reports in discrete manufacturing and such type of reports

cannot be obtained if we execute using REM and some business does not requires that data and some

business expects more report.So in such cases we can go ahead using discrete manufacturing.

More control can be built in discrete manufacturing in SAP than REM.

Regards

Mangalraj.S

swathi_rege
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply...

could you plz give me an example of reports that can be obtained through dis and not in rem?

when you say more control.. are you talking about order statuses? is that the only control i get from dis vs rem?

also in some blogs I read, if you are producing in lots, the use discrete... lot is relative concept.. i can say my lot is 1000 pcs and some say thier lot is 100 pcs.. i can still use rem for both 1000 and 100 pcs..

so how to make a conclusion if a material/plant needs discrete or repetitive functionality? what should be the right questions that needs to be asked to make this decision.. plz help

former_member184655
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Swathi,

A report like COOIS can give all the required information about the components,operations,confirmation

details,PRT usage,shiftwise confirmation.

In REM PRT's usage cannot be obtained,shiftwise confirmation cannot be pulled directly...

Yes using production order we can build more control using status...do shiftwise confirmation etc.

Regards

Mangalraj.S

swathi_rege
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

we can also get planned order information from COOIS right? inthe drop down we have options for planned and production order..

regarding prt, I agree with you..

are these the only questions we need to ask our self before deciding on rep vs discrete?

if you pleae take a look at my first post, i gave one of our plant scenario.. can you please let me know if i can go repetitive for both the feeder and assembly lines there?

former_member184655
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Swathi,

I would suggest you to point down the important points/benefits which you would like to meet after SAP

implementation and the feasibility perspective.

Based on the no of transactions/reports/cost collection & settlement/control and after this it can be a

complete discrete/REM or it can be a combo of the same.

Regards

Mangalraj.S