cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW and BO Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are in the process of upgrading our BW environments to 7.3 in order to implement SAP Business Objects 4.1. The project is currently in the planning phase and I was informed by our implementation partners that the we have to install the BO system as a separate instance in the server and cannot be part of the existing BW 7.3 install. Is it necessarily the case? Can't we have the BO installation in the same instance as our BW system?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you have enough hardware resources - sure, you can. but it'll have to be quite powerful machine then.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Denis. From your response it doesn't sound like there is a technical limitation and it's a matter of sizing. Since we are implementing this now in the Sand Box first, would it make sense to amp up the server that way we can have both BO and BW. And when we install it in our project landscapes we size the server instances differently that way BO instance gets a powerful hardware.

Another question about the 2 instance approach, do we then use the SAP Integration kit to connect the 2 instances (BW and BO) in order to use the existing BEx queries and BW infoproviders as a source for the BO reporting tools?

Thanks.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

On the first question - yes, there are no technical limitations, just resources. And not just CPU/Memory, disk I/O and network bandwidth start to play huge role.

For me it never makes sense to have this 2 powerful systems on the same box.

BI4.x already has all connectivity to SAP BW built in, no additional Integration kits required.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks much Denis.

Answers (0)