cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Role-based content in Design Studio

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to create one cockpit in Design Studio that shows different content for different users.

For example:

Top Management will see one table and one chart and will also be able to use a couple of links to detail-reports.

Middle Management should only see the chart (not the table) and only a sub-set of the links to some specific detail-reports.

I thought about differing the users by user groups or roles in BO/BW.

Is it possible to get information about the groups the user of the dashboard has?

Or is there any other way to identify if the current user is allowed to see a specific dashboard element?

Thank you for any suggestion!

Jens-Uwe

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There isn't a mechanism that I know of to apply dashboard-level component security out of the box, however if you were to have a means to pass username (or access level derived via exit) to a BEx query (using an exit or a number of other techniques) or a UNX (if you are using relational sources) and pass username (or derived access level) that way, you could then build off of that access level field to hide/show certain components or buttons, or prevent certain datasources from loading in script, etc.  It would be a lot of work but I think you have the fundamental pieces to implement a homegrown system.

The alternative is seperate, similar dashboards each which are trimmed to each access level, but then that become a maintenance issue in the future.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks & , I first planned seperate dashboards but then thought it would be easier to maintain having just one. The idea of delivering the needed information via the BEx-query sounds interesting. I will have a closer look on that!

Thanks

Thanks , the request sounds exactly like what I had in mind. Hopefully they really add this function "in a future release"

Thanks , but I persoanlly already knew the .getInfo().user function. This would only enable me to "solve" my problem with hard-coded-spricpting. No good idea. But I will use the function in another context.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can get the current user with following line:

DS_1.getInfo().user

But not group information, so it will be a bit cumbersome.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just for reference, there is a requirement/improvement request that should cover such a scenario in this idea: Get User Attribute Information from BIP User

...see also the comments there.

The current status of it is LOCKED, not sure what that means, but it is not possible to add further votes to it at the moment.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is definitely possible as others are also mentioning - but it has to something that a query provides for you. There is no functionality currently in Design Studio to get such information.

As is mentioning, you would on BW have to create an exit that can provide a check whether a user is in "Top Management" security group in BW.

Once you get the group, you can do some scripting so that

if (Group !== "Top Management") { CROSSTAB_1.setVisible(false); }

former_member195433
Participant
0 Kudos

I can think of using authorization variables and not showing table data for middle management .

and you can write a script  to remove  table component for middle management   if no result : TABLE.setvisible(false) ;

To personalize information : i think you have to rely on BW authorization .

may be someone can throw you some more ideas