cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I run existing crystal reports from a vb 2013 project I created?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm writing a visual basic project in Visual Studio 2013 Professional. I would like to be able to click on a button and run some existing 2008 Crystal Reports version 12 reports that were made for Microsoft Dynamics SL 2011 using vb script. Is there any way to do this? How and with what version of Crystal Reports?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rhonda

I have no knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics SL 2011. However if the report runs in the CR designer, it will run in .NET. You can use ODBC, OLE DB or datasets to populate the report.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Currently I only have crystal reports 2008 installed. Can I download the CrystalReports developer version for Visual Studio 2013 and  add the crystalReportViewer to the VB project to view existing 2008 reports?

former_member188030
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, you could. Ultimately, it boils down to the version compatibility of CR with VS.

See this KB.

http://search.sap.com/notes?id=0001514084&boj=/sap/bc/bsp/spn/scn_bosap/notes.do?access=69765F6D6F64...

If you intend to use CR 2008 assembly references (12.0) then use either VS 2005 or VS 2008.

If you would like to use CR for VS (13.0) you could use VS 2010 / VS 2012 / VS 2013.

In both above scenarios you could view the reprots designed with CR 2008 designer.

Thanks,

Bhushan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your response. It was very helpful. I can run the report from a Visual Basic (2013) project but I can't figure out how to change what the report displays base on a parameter.

The report has a list of PO Numbers on the right side when it runs. When the user clicks on one of  them the report is reloaded to show the report for that PO. I want to be able enter a value in a textbox, so that when I click on a button the program sends the value to the report and it reloads the report for that PO Number.

How do you send a value to a report? How do you know what the parameter name is?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Couple of places to look:

Sample apps - there are several apps that show yo how to work with parameters.

SAP Crystal Reports .NET SDK Developer Guide

SAP Crystal Reports .NET API Guide

Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 Walkthro... | SCN - Applies to all versions of .NET and CR

Note that when a report is refreshed in the viewer, it will also prompt for new parameters.

Oh and don't forget to search. A string like 'crystal net parameter' will bring up tons of info. Search box is in the top right corner...

- Ludek

Message was edited by: Ludek Uher

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188030
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rhonda,

As Ludek mentioned, if the report works from CR designer it dhould work from VS too.

Do a sample app using VS 2013, drag the crystalreportviewer control to your page from toolbox and write below code.

ReportDocument rd = new ReportDocument();

1. rd.Load(@"Path of the report/report.rpt");

crystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = rd;

See if the report prompts for smoething.

Thanks,

Bhushan