cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question of SAP Methodology of Implementation esp. System Testing and Test Script

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP Member,

As a very new and inexperienced customer to the SAP and the business. My company is preparing for the retail shop establishment which part of the preparation includes SAP implementation.

At first, we strongly believe SAP can fit and serve our business need well. Also, the standard methodology of implementation will be able to deliver the system with expected quality. However, the local implementor disappoint my firm with poor quality delivery and control that result in the perception of uncertainty of the system to be lived.

The methodology proposed by the implementor composed with

1) Preparation

2) Blueprint

3) Realization

a) Program development and unit test by vendor

b) Training

4) Final Preparation

a) Integration test by Users

b) Data conversion preparation

5) Go-Live and Support

My problem comes up with phase 4-5

Problem 1: Unit/functional test performed by implementor . For this activities, how could customer ensure that every single function has been developed or implemented according to the requirement and without error?

Problem 2: Vendor  provides slot for integration test for 7 days. Is it normal practice that test can be done within this short period?

Problem 3: Does SAP methodology has the standard quality control, test enter and exit criteria and issue/incident management?

Problem 4: How should the standard test script look like? What i received from implementor was like functional list rather than script.

Problem 5: what should be step for conversion apart from the data preparation by users? The local implementor does not explain/elaborate the detailed activities.

Last but not least, as the customer do not satisfy with the SAP partner (local implementor quality). What should be the process for feedback as to prevent other new customer to face the same problem?

SK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

janmusil
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Few thoughts on your post and recommendation given by your implementation partner.

1. Unit testing by implementor is typical approach used in most projects. The purpose of this is to ensure that individual functions perform according to specs and it is typically the implementation party that does this work (unless contract states otherwise).

2. Integration test duration varies depending on the scope of the functionality that is being tested, geographical scope and other aspects. It is typically done in multiple waves and I would expect your implementor to indicate their commitment to resolving bugs and issues (including SLA) that are found during this time if the overall duration is compressed to a week. Just for clarification integration test in SAP language means testing full transaction chains including integration to other systems you may have in your environment.

3. Yes. You will find this information in the methodology in particular in Project Quality Plan and Test Planning/Execution deliverables.

4. Look at the examples that are in ASAP. They should help.

5. Data Migration work stream of ASAP 8 details the activities including the data quality assessment, data cleansing activities, testing the migration programs and manual procedures and planning the production load.

I hope this gives you little bit of guidance. You can access ASAP of service.sap.com/asap

Former Member
0 Kudos

SK,

Thamil has given his view.  Here is another.

how could customer ensure that every single function has been developed or implemented according to the requirement and without error?

If this is an issue to you, you can insist that members of your test team participate in unit testing.  You are, after all, the client, and it is your money being spent.  As long as you can furnish testers, who are competent to evaluate unit testing scenarios, you can have them work with the vendor during unit testing.

Vendor  provides slot for integration test for 7 days. Is it normal practice that test can be done within this short period?

It depends on what is being implemented.  I have seen implementations which contained over a hundred test scenarios and  over 2000 test scripts; each of which must be tested by multiple functional groups.  1 week is not enough to complete Integration testing in this case.

Also remember that it is necessary to allow time to correct 'bugs' found during integration testing, and then to re-test after the bugs are fixed.  Except in the simplest of implementations, 1 week may not be enough to accommodate the bug fixes and retests.

Does SAP methodology has the standard quality control, test enter and exit criteria and issue/incident management?

Which 'SAP methodology' are you talking about?  Bottom line, the client must insist that the vendor incorporate any methodologies that are required for his business.  Don't assume that your vendor will automatically bring these items to the table, YOU may have to bring them to the table.

How should the standard test script look like? What I received from implementer was like functional list rather than script.

?????  It should look like whatever you want it to look like.  Many companies have existing templates.  If your company doesn't have such a template, ask your vendor for one.  Go over it together with him and make appropriate modifications that meet your business requirements.

what should be step for conversion apart from the data preparation by users? The local implementer does not explain/elaborate the detailed activities.

It is impossible to say at the beginning of the project.  Sometime during realization, the client and the vendor will jointly develop a detailed cutover plan.  More importantly, the client will develop a change management plan for the client company, in which all stakeholders in the client company will come to understand how and when ALL of the client's business processes will need to change, and to develop plans for all affected groups.

Best Regards,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Saran,

I am replying to your post based upon my understanding of SAP methodology. This post may give you some ideas but kindly re-check twice with others.

For your first question.. The customer cannot test or make ensure that the system meets all your requirements in the short span of test window time.it will give you guys to analyze whether the system meets your basic and very important requirements only.. once the system went live only you shall able to identify the minute issues ( definetely issues will arise while the system goes live)

Second one.. Yes we can complete the test within seven days.. ( It is also based on Landscape)

Third one.. Yes SAP has the standard quality and all the terminologies you mentioned above ( and also much more ) but it also matters whether your sap partner is aware of these things or not..

Fourth one.. I am not having an idea on this.. sorry

Fifth one.. Check this with your implementor and demand them to provide the summary (i.e.) how they are going to proceed the activities and all..and it would be better if you having a sap basis admin in all these discussion..

Hope this gives you a little information..

Regards,

Thamil