cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your all time 3 favorite Movie ? Why ?

former_member182541
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Let me list mine.

1. Cast Away - How the loneliness felt.

2. Pursuit of happyness - Father's Love & Passion behind the job.

3. Enthiran - Only because of Rajini

What is yours ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I was waiting for someone to ask this question. At last!

While I appreciate the whole IMDB Top 250 list, my actual favorite movies (i.e. the ones I end up watching again and again) are:

Showgirls - I found out only after watching it that it's considered to be one of the worst movies ever. Personally I think it's friggin' awesome. It has pretty young ladies, Agent Cooper, passion, betrayal - everything.

The Fifth Element - comedy, thriller, sci-fi and Bruce Willis is in it. Well, it had me at Bruce Willis.

Bowfinger - less known but absolutely brilliant Frank Oz's comedy. Highly recommended for viewing after dealing with SAP Support.

Answers (28)

Answers (28)

rainer_hbenthal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here are mine;

1) Lord of the Rings

2) How to train a dragon

3) Merida

And yes, i'm a fan of animation films. Meridas hair and the water are computed brillant. Or look at the horse just right in the beginning. Just waiting for the moment, when you cant distinguish between an animation film and a "real" film.

former_member182354
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello there!! Naming three is a tough task ...uff

Here it goes:

1.Inglourious basterds

2.Apocalypto

3.Kill bill series

aaaand yes I am a fan of Quentin Torantino's direction.

Raghav

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Fight Club

2. Matrix (first one)

3. Snatch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hangover - (All series / Comedy)

3 Idiots - (Bollywood / Motivational)

Tum bin(Love story - Bollywood) / The ugly truth(Love story / comedy)

Former Member
0 Kudos

you should mark this answered

former_member182541
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Which reply i have to mark as answered here .

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My List:

1. Dark Knight Trilogy

2. Into the Wild 

3. Rang De Basanti

Divyanshu

amit_khare
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here are mine with reference due to language specifics (It's hard for me to just pick 3 as I am a total movie buff) -

1. Sholay (Sholay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) - watched some 150+ times till now,

2. A Street Car Name Desire (A Streetcar Named Desire (1951 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

3. For a few dollars more (For a Few Dollars More - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I am also big time fan of James Bond Series, X-Men Series, Iron Man Series, Planet of the Apes (1968) and........... (list is soooo long)...

Regards,

Amit

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Snatch - because it provides unlimited quantities of awesomeness

2. The Dark Knight - because "How about a magic trick?"

3. Intouchables - because "Pas d’bras pas d’chocolat!"

Cheers, Lukas

Former Member
0 Kudos

3rd Place: The Pursuit of Happiness - Something to lift my spirit when I'm feeling down.

2nd Place: Forrest Gump - Tom Hanks' performance and the plot itself are brilliant.

1st place: Dance With Wolves - What can I say?

former_member46
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I bookmarked this thread so I can come find a recommendation next time i want to watch something

I have no idea how to classify my top 3 but one I love watching again which hasn't been listed here is and is an old classic To sir with love

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) Empire Strikes Back - The darkest but the best out of the Star Wars Movie, and still great even after being redone by Lucas.  Nothing like watching this one on a huge screen.

2) Office Space - TPS Reports and Red Stapler (enough said)

3) Napoleon Dynamite - Vote for Pedro: Your wildest dreams will come true

Why do I feel that this was really a personality test instead?

Take care,

Stephen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Star Wars is definitely in my top 10. I like science fiction so my top 3 is influenced by that genre. The Terminator was already mentioned however I think Terminator 2 was and still is one of the best scifi/action/drama(?) movies ever made. I can't believe no one mentioned Matrix, especially the first one was and still is a very good movie. To prove that I can also appreciate non-scifi movies, my #3 is the western classic The Good, The Bad and The Ugly with the brilliant soundtrack from Ennio Morricone.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Stephen Johannes wrote:

1) Empire Strikes Back - The darkest but the best out of the Star Wars Movie, and still great even after being redone by Lucas.  Nothing like watching this one on a huge screen.

I just watched it this weekend (and part VI, too) and it is still awesome and awe-inspiring. The only downer:  a grinning hayden christensen at the end of the saga. What were you thinking, Lucas?! Now I wish I had the earlier version on DVD. -.- With the old, REAL anakin.

@Gali: That movie sounds great! Goes on my list.

naveenvishal
Contributor
0 Kudos

The movies which I connect to and love to watch anytime are :

1. Sholay -  Lovely story, excellent screenplay, fabulous cast that shines as gems in the movie. Literally redefined the Indian cinema and someone rightly said to divide Indian film history into Sholay BC and Sholay AD.

2. Lagaan - 'Unity in Diversity' can be rightly said as its punchline, beautifully depicted on screen by director. Takes team spirit and bonding to next level.

3. Bhaag Milkha Bhaag - The movie is like magic, no matter how many times I watch it again. Hats-off to Farhan Akhtar for doing Milkha Singh (The Flying Sikh) so brilliantly and to Rakeysh Mehra for awesome direction.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Suman,

Thanks for opening this thread. My list is too long. Some of those that I can quickly think

1) Soodhu Kavvum(Indian- Tamil)- Soodhu Kavvum (2013) - IMDb

2) Iyarkai(Indian- Tamil)- Iyarkai (2003) - IMDb

3) Lord of the Rings series

4) Drishyam(Indian- Malayalam)- Drishyam (2013) - IMDb

5) The Pursuit of Happyness

Regards

Dhilipan

former_member182541
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Soodhu Kavvum is one of best movie in Tamil Cinema. Glad that we both had the same taste of "POH".

Former Member
0 Kudos

My list is:

1. Seven Samurai (Toshiro Mifune)

2. Murphy War (Peter O Toole)

3. The Sicilian Clan (starring Jean Gabin, Lino Ventura and Alain Delon)

4. Sanjuro (Toshiro Mifune)

5. How to Steal a Million (Peter O'Toole)

All the best

Former Member
0 Kudos

We watch a lot of classic movies, so it would be really hard for me to narrow it down to a top three, but three I do really enjoy and watch whenever I can are:

Casablanca - because I love the performances of Ingrid Bergman, Humprhey Bogart, and Claude Rains

A Room with a View - because I love those Merchant-Ivory dramas and Italy, too

My Cousin Vinny - because Joe Pesci, Fred Gwynne, and Marissa Tomei are outstandingly funny, and it was apparently Fred Gwynne's last movie

Gretchen

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no top 3 for me, but movies I expect people to have seen include:

• Pi (not life of Pi, that movie was just awful)
  • Clerks
  • The Big Lebowski
  • and so many more
moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I know all other movies but not "and so many more" I am saying this because you added this in bullets as well

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Clerks is still on my list of movies to watch... and some other movies of Kevin Smith actually, looking forward to his latest one Tusk

madasamy_arunachalam
Active Participant
0 Kudos

With different, my all time favorite is ...with story and the way technology used at those period;;;

1)  Jurassic Park (waiting for ver. 4)

2)  Toy Story (all ver.)

3)  Avatar

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. The Rock - Sean Connery & Nicolas Cage together... need I say more

2. Top Secret - weird but extremely good humor

3. The Gladiator - has a bit of everything in it...

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

my all time favourites:

3.  Indiana Jones part I - the first one is the best one and Harrsion Ford just

2. Life of Pi - wonderful story, beautiful nature and good actors, I also read the book

1. Forrest Gump - american history in 90mins or something, I watched it more than 5 times

Regards,

Jürgen

Florian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Indiana Jones... that would be my fourth movie in the row.

Now I know what to do this weekend when wifey is out of the house

~Florian

Former Member
0 Kudos

3 Fav. Movies of all Time

Gravity - Deep Space thriller Movie and I love Sandra Bullock as astronauts and as a Mother. This movie transported me into outer space life.

300 Spartans - The way they fought against the Persian Army and their Guts not to surrender against almost limitless size of Persian's made this movie different among the others.

Frozen -  Anna's voice, Elsa ability to produce ice, frost, and snow at will and an "act of true love" will be found from Anna's decision to sacrifice herself to save her sister made me to sit and watch the movie again and again.

---Raji. S

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I wasn't sure if this thread was a good addition here on SCN, but since Jelena and Jürgen kind of gave the OK by answering... here I am, too!

I love movies and series. Looooove (and my DVD collection can attest to that). Even before I was able to collect that stuff I was a vivid TV watcher. So it's hard for me to come up with a list of only 3 favorite movies (top 3 series would have been much easier for me^^).

But I went by Jürgens approach and tried to remember which movies I saw most till now.

• Dirty Dancing: The music, the dancing and a hot Patrick Swayze. I mean, come on! How could I resist?! That's probably the movie I watched the most in my life over the years (I remember I watched it thrice in 2 days waaaaay back, when I saw it on TV the first time and caught also the re-run and another showing on another channel the next day ).
  • Star Wars (IV - VI): You get fantasy, sci-fi, action, comedy, super powers, light sabers and a handsome, haaandsome cheeky Han Solo. Also a great story and those effects... still awesome!
  • Lethal Weapon (Series): I love buddy movies, I love serious action combined with comedy. It's just a great combination.

Counting by the times I watched this already since I got it like 2 or 3 month ago:

• Warrior: Set in the MMA/UFC-scene this movie has great fighting sequences, but what got me most was the story about the father and the two brothers, about estrangement. It's a character study, a family drama, before it is a sports film. And it's got such great acting going on. I can absolutly recommend to watch it. Made me cry every time.
TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've watched Dirty Dancing too many times, the same for Wedding Singer and Rush Hour.

But I wouldn't say that's my favorite movie - I like Robert Duvall in Tender Mercies

And the recent passing of the great James Garner reminded me how much I enjoyed Murphy's Romance

I also liked Sense and Sensibility and Eat Drink Man Woman

I also liked every single Jane Eyre movie I've seen, and the same for Rebecca

John Wayne was fantastic in The Quiet Man

I only saw Terminator, the Fugitive, Cool Hand Luke once...great movies but I don't want the stress.

I can't stop at just 3 movies

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

John Wayne was fantastic in The Quiet Man

Last year, when I went to Ireland for a hiking trip, we didn't just stay in Cong, where most of the movie was shot, but in THE bed&breakfast where the stars lived during their stay and the owner is also the owner of the "Quiet Man"-museum in town and has nearly all available versions on DVD. He was missing the German version till then, but got it so our group could watch the movie in the screenroom of the hostel across the street.

I think, I even stayed in the "John Wayne"-room there. *gg*

I liked the movie, too. ^^ Had never heard of it before, though.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

unexpected but nice thread

3 favourite movie

1-wolf of wall street

2-troy

3-300

3 indian favourite movie

1- Agnipath

2-Deewar

3-Love aaj kal

Abhi

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd like to learn more about Indian movies.  Genre that I don't know.  Thanks for suggestions.  I'm better without the "action" types though.  It's a woman thing I guess.  Although I must say I loved the "3 D" version of Gravity which is basically a "no real story" "no great acting" action film....

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Three amazing Indian films I can highly recommend (these are not Bollywood) are Deepa Mehta's trilogy:

1. Fire (1996) - IMDb
  2. Earth (1998) - IMDb
  3. Water (2005) - IMDb
kakshat
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I hate to get into a debate that could steer the discussion in a different direction altogether but I don't think it's right to classify Gravity as an action flick. But I agree, it's a great watch. And, if you liked that, you might want to lookout for an upcoming (slated for 2015) movie called The Martian (Ridley Scott direction); I've read the book and it's great.

GauthamV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is very difficult to list only 3 movies in all time favourites.

1) Titanic  - All time classic

2) Troy / Gladiator / 300  - Action

3) Jumanji / Anaconda / Deep blue sea -  Sci-Fi

~ Gautham.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I had this Idea to ask something about movies because sometimes I couldn't find some movie to watch. I've seen many movies and its hard to find some quality movie now but thanks Suman Thangadurai for starting this thread And I'd like to add one thing just for fun that we can share 1 worst movie we've seen ever. Lets see which movie we get as worst

For me its hard to decide best three movies. When it comes to my favorite movie, I've a long list in my mind and I can't decide which three are on top of that list. Let me try to share three names only.

Kingdom of Heaven is the movie I've seen many times. I liked the dialogues and direction. The way director showed how they used catapult to conquered Jerusalem is amazing. This is based on a real fight Salahudin fought. Troy, 300, Brave Heart and Last Sumari are also from the same genre which I liked most.

Bourne Film Series is a sequel of 4 movies. I like this series because it shows how to use technology and how to think one step ahead of your opponents I like spy movies because it is kind of self training that how we could escape after doing something which we are not supposed to do

Mr and Mrs Smith is a comedy romantic movie and I liked it because of the acting by Brad Pitt and Angelina and both are my all time favorite in Hollywood.

There is a long list that I'd like to share but since you asked for thee so I can only name three movies here. Though I've named more but I think its not violating the rule

My worst experience was to watch SAW series. I don't know why I've seen all parts of it but I didn't like that at all.

Thank$

former_member182541
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Having said that you have watched all seven series of saw . It may be the worst movie, but its all the imagination how psychopathic people around us in this world, I really stunned how the director can imagine in this way. I really like the way it starts and continues with the series.

In this list you can also add Wrong Turn,Hostel & Hill have eyes.

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I wana play a game with you Suman Lolz

Hostel is fine. It has a story in it but Wrong turn series and Evil death its only killing killing and killing. If you like these zombies type movies you must check Walking Dead Seasons played on some American channel.

Thank$

Florian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Like Colleen wrote,

switch off the brain watching movies from time to time is awesome...

Here is my Best-of-movies-list:

1. Océans - because nature itself is the most faszinating thing in the world.

2. The Village - because I think this is a possible scenario and I love horror-movies

3. Terminator - because it is maybe the reason, that I want to know what is behind the package of all the electric stuff today

~Florian

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Florian Henninger wrote:

2. The Village - because I think this is a possible scenario and I love horror-movies

3. Terminator - because it is maybe the reason, that I want to know what is behind the package of all the electric stuff today

Did you mean Shyamalan's The Village ? It's not a horror movie... From my "horror connoisseur" collection I'd recommend Cabin in the Woods and classics like Wrong Turn or Final Destination (although you've probably seen those already ). The first Saw was an awesome movie but then they should've stopped there - the sequel franchise ruined it. 

Watched the first Terminator probably 30+ times but it's not exactly the "feel good movie" that I'd count as a favorite. The soundtrack still gives me the hibigeebies...

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"Terminator" ist just a classic. That's one of those movies, that doesn't get old IMO (like "The Magnificent Seven").

@Raf: "Top Secret"! Right in line with "Spaceballs", "Robin Hood - Men in Tights" and "Hot Shots" for me.

Florian
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jelena,

yes it is. I thought it is categorized at horror

Cabin in the Woods is also a awesome movie...

and yes, they should have stopped after the first Saw... but that happens just too often...right in my mind is Die Hard.. First awesome, second good, third ok, fourth = wasted money

~Florian

we should do another discussion just with horror*haha*

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hard.. First awesome, second good, third ok, fourth = wasted money

I really like the forth. :X At least they made a much, muuuuch better forth movie then for Indiana Jones. ^^ I shiver at the thought of what they might do with Indy in no. 5.

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

thanks for the thread

1. Black Orpheus (Portuguese: Orfeu Negro) I saw this when I was in University (no, not in 1959 when it was made ...but in the '70's when I saw it) The music of Brazilian songwriters Jobim and Bonfa are classics and I love stories that are set in one culture but come from another.  SPOILER: it doesn't have a real happy ending just like the Greek myth of Orpheus on which it is based.  It made me want to go to Brazil and dance at the Carnaval and I did...and it was amazing.
  2. The Piano - this one made me visit New Zealand (twice!). Also mixes cultures (film of the 90's) Australian/French collaboration
  3. The Gods Must be Crazy - Set in South Africa and Botswana - (yep I needed to visit Africa after seeing this one, too) it is a local, low-budget comedy with a very important message about "things" and what we value.  (film of the 80's)

Of mention is a beautiful South Korean film I liked that is very meditative and slow and thought provoking:

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring - maybe I can relate to all those seasons of life as a "mature" woman....

PS My son loved Princess Bride and before he even learned to speak and understand English he walked around the house saying: (well you can guess...Inigo Montoya...blah blah blah....)

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I like to watch movies that are comedy or hilariously bad and require no thought process to switch my brain off.

Grosse Point Blank - just love the wit and humour in this movie.

Princess Bride - for some reason every guy I studied IT with quotes this movie. I always thought it a chic flick but apparently swords and witty one-liners make it perfectly acceptable for the guys.

Chasing Liberty - read disclaimer above but I did quite like all the European cities and am crossing the cities of the list as I visit them (someone bring me over to Europe for a few months for a job so I can see the rest )

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

just realised... The Castle should come in at number 3. It's the move most Australians quote overseas and I think it pips Mandy Moore.

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My friend suggested it (the Castle) to me and I went to a film library in Melborne.  Hilarious!.  It's the "vibe".

GrahamRobbo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And how's the serenity?

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Or "location, location, location"?

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

two quotes that can be applied to work: "tell him he's dreaming" or "that's one for the trophy room"

I quite like how he values even the simplest things and is proud to celebrate.

GrahamRobbo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You mean "it's going straight to the pool room".

p.s. I dug a hole.

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

methinks I dug it first by referencing the moving and then stuffing up the quote

GrahamRobbo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I dug another hole. It's filling with water.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mine are as follows:

Inception: The way the movie shapes up is real awesome and I really liked the concept.

Shawshank Redemption: Many ppl find it slow but this movie inspires me.

Gone in 60 Seconds: Having Passion for something and love for Family is everything

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Since it is asked about all time favorites I had to rank it by numbers watched, which kicked the newer movies and current favorites out of the list,  but if you ask again in 20 years it might have changed.

Ranking 3rd: Action with John Wayne and fun with Red Buttons in Hatari

on 2: I loved to be in the cinema with an umbrella, a water pistol, rice and dancing the time warp with Doctor Frank'n'furter in the Rocky Horror Picture Show

And my number 1, yes I know, just another evidence of my age, Elton John, Tina Turner, Roger Daltrey, Eric Clapton and Jack Nicholson together in Tommy