cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

redirect the tables in a universe to different schemas on the same server

former_member194139
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello, How do I redirect the tables in a universe to different schema on the same server. I've the table names as "ABC.dbName_DEV.TableName" in development. When it goes to UAT the table names or scehmas changing to "ABC.dbName_UAT.TableName".

both of them are sitting on same server. My question is how to redirect my tables/universe to UAT / Dev as needed.

Thanks in advance!!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Manage it all in the connections.

Don't refer to the instance/owner in the universe itself.

I've managed in the past on an Edge install by using folders and permissions to create a pseudo three-tier environment. It's not always possible to be on a big enough budget for the ideal environment.

former_member194139
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mark, thanks for quick response. what do you mean by "Manage it all in the connections"

Could you please elaborate the steps.

Thanks!

former_member194139
Participant
0 Kudos

Gurus, Have anyone experienced or resolved this kind of situation. Thanks!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for the late reply.

Have different usernames with access to the different schemas defined in your connections.

I'm only speaking from what worked in XIr2, though, things may have changed from them but it's worth a try. The only downside is if you have user-specific privileges that you wanted to tie to a data account. Obviously SSO won't be affected.

So, a database user called DEV_BO_USER would only see the DEV schema, UAT_BO_USER would only see the UAT schema and PRD_BO_USER would only see the PRD schema. It's about 6 years since I had to do something like that so apologies for the suggestion not coming with perfect examples!

former_member194139
Participant
0 Kudos

I already have the Owner name/Schema name infront of tables in the universe. And I've too many derived tables in universe.

Thanks!

former_member4998
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

UAT is testing system? If yes.

Normally once it’s complete development in the BO Dev system and move to testing BO system, only universe connection need to change pointing in testing BO system to Testing back-end server. So no need to change the schema and table names.

UAT is testing system? If NO

If you want to chang filed definition like:

Material NO= ABC.dbName_DEV.TableName.Material to "ABC.dbName_UAT.TableName".Material

In the definition directly you can select the schema, table and filed name.

former_member194139
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sreenivasulu, Thanks for quick response.

What do youi mean by "Filed Definition". Where Can I see it?

former_member194139
Participant
0 Kudos

Does any one come across this issue?

I've a DB server which has three schemas as below,

Dev, IT, UAT

So my table names under each schema will be Dev.TableA, IT.TableA, UAT.TableA.

Now I've created a Universe under Dev when I moved this universe to IT having issue with table names. I can change the table names to IT.TableA but I have derived tables more than 10 in universe. Don't want to change them manually. Is there any way I change them or avoid changing names or schema names when I migrating from one region to another.

Thanks!!

former_member4998
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Once you move universe to IT from Dev, you need to point IT database,

So no need to change the schema.

Dev DB ----> Dev BO Server

IT DB ----> IT BO Server

UAT DB ----> UAT BO Server

former_member194139
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sreenivasulu,

If I've THREE different servers I would've done the same but in my case I've ONLY ONE SERVER for all three different regions( DEV,IT,UAT)

All THREE Schemas sitting on same DB SERVER

Thanks!!