cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSO: IIS Content Server swap - issue with repository explorer

0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have following situation in place:

Our current content server for learning content is pretty old and unreliable, thus we need to swap it with a new machine.

We already have setup a server and copied all content from old server using robocopy tool.

Old server was running with IIS 6.0 (WebDAV protocol was used to communicate)

New server is IIS 7.5 (also WebDAV used for communication with Repository Explorer)

After changing the setup in lso_customize_c to point to the new content server we get following situation:

1. Content Player is reporting that it can succesfully access the content.

2. Courses are getting played without glitch.

3. Repository Explorer cannot see the courses as released in SAP - no version or learning net information is available - we cannot download any course from master repository (only directory structure gets downloaded), however uploading new courses works fine - the version info is stored, and learning nets are published.

Backend system remained completely unchanged, along with publisher database. Content server swap included only the physical machine with the files.

Did any of you had similar experience and have an idea how to deal with it?

Repository Explorer Copy Master Repository function is not an option for us - we have over 1,5 TB learning data to be copied.

BR,

Pawel

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Zoltán
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi!
Thank you!!!

SAP cannot solve this problem? Did you get any solution from SAP?

Our master repository now IIS6 about 50 GB, but about 500000 objects.

We would like to migrate this contents to new Windows 2008 server IIS7.5 (webdav).

But we got java heap error out of memory, because this LSOAE tool only 32bit software and max. heap limit 1024Mb.

Best regards,

Zoltán

0 Kudos

Hi Zoltan,

SAP will not solve this, because it is not SAP issue.

It's Microsoft who changed the IIS approach without any backward compatibility

BR,

Pawel

kumar_rajesh2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Zoltan,

I came across the same issue, The trick was to part the content into smaller chunk. this can be done by creating new content repository on old server copy few folders from original CP(by simple copy paste) and migrate them to new server through standalone repository explorer, replete the same process until all folders are copied.

Rajesh

Zoltán
Explorer
0 Kudos

Can you help me?

0 Kudos

Hi Zoltan,

The answer is already in the thread

There is no ready solution, aside from using the WebDAV based tools to migrate the repository, however in our case that was impossible because of the data load we had.

So we had to hire a Microsoft consultant to help us migrate the WebDAV properties.

BR,

Pawel

Zoltán
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Pawel,

How to solved problem?

We have same problem, migrate lso content to iis 7.5 webdav, but we got same error after copying some objects.

Which copy method to you use migrate big lso content ?

Thanks!

Zoltán

kumar_rajesh2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Pawel,

We are facing the same issue, were you able to resolve the problem ? if yes, What was the fix ?

Thanks,

Rajesh

0 Kudos

Hello Kumar,

The problem is related to incompatibility between IIS 6 and IIS7.5 regarding the WebDAV properties storing. So when you copy your repository, the WebDAV properties are being copied as an NTFS alternate data stream. However new IIS by default is using the file in the directory structure to store properties, also the format has changed.

Due to this difference IIS is not able to serve the WebDAV properties correctly, and Repository Explorer is relying on them to read the versioning and learning net info.

The fix is to copy your repository to the new server using WebDAV protocol (i.e. you can use Total Commander with WebDAV plugin), or using Repository Explorer functionality (Tools -> Copying Master Repository),

however if your repository is really big - this operation might take ages.

In our case we had to involve Microsoft to provide a technician that would convert the WebDAV properties from IIS6 format to IIS7.5 (Microsoft does not provide any other possibility to do that).

BR,

Pawel

kumar_rajesh2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Pawel,

Thanks for your prompt response, Currently we are stuck with copying master repository through repository explorer, we can View the existing folder structure but getting below error while copying content of master repository from old(IIS 6.0) to new server(IIS 7.5).

Failed to create folder: /ReusableObjectsIT/

-> reson: WebDAV-Error: 403: Forbidden(403)

Com.sap.hcm.ls.shared.repository.access.wdslide.WDException: Failed to create folder: /ReusableObjectsIT/

I doubt this something related to WebDAV Settings on IIS(Applicationhost.config or Web.Config) but not able to figure out. By any chance did you face similar issues ?

Thanks,

Rajesh

0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

If the issue happens instantly, then you probably have authorization issues.

Please check if your user has the system authority to access/modify the data in folder which is your base for repository. Also verify the access settings in WebDAV section of IIS.

If it happens after copying some data - then it might be the communication problem.

BR,

Pawel

kumar_rajesh2
Explorer
0 Kudos

I have verified the OS level authorization and I have full access, I tired many things on WebDAV settings but no luck. do you think if http or https matters in this case(connecting through with https will help) ?

Will it be possible for you to attach a copy of  Applicationhost.config and Web.confg file from your system after masking company specific information ? or suggest me some sample IIS config files which works for LSO authoring environment

Thanks,

Rajesh

0 Kudos

Hi,

Unfortunately I don;t have access anymore to this server.

What I remember though is:

In the WebDAV settings we had to switch off "Require SSL access" option

In the WebDAV Authoring Rules we added the rule to allow every user (*) to Read/Write/Source file in two locations:

1. /

2. *

Authorization Rules we setup to allow everyone to access the site

We also enabled anonymous authentication - but for us the server in question was not available from outside network.

Hope this helps.

BR,

Pawel