Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware, DB and OS migration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

We are planning a hardware migration,

I understand we need a re-sizing in order to determine hardware requirements for the new server.

How can I get the SAP's to get the new server from the hardware vendor?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

SebSchmitt
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Rene,

if you have an existing SAP system and you would like to extent the system by either additional number of users or additional SAP functionalities, then you should do a Re-Sizing. Please correct me if this is not your use case.

As said earlier, Quick Sizer is only for initial sizings. For existing systems, you should analyse the CPU and Memory utilization and determine if any additional load can still be handled by the current system or if new hardware has to be puchased.

Best regards,

Sebastian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastian,

You are correct, that's my case. From the previous link. I came to the conclusion that what I need is a Re-Sizing.

My question is, how do I buy the new server?

Do I need to request the new server to the vendor with SAP's ?

or just decide the new specifications by my self (according to the analysis from ST06, DB02, ST07...) and get a server with those specs?

Thanks

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rene,

What is your source DB and OS platform ?

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are running on:

WIN server 2003  Standard x64

MS SQL 2005

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rene,

Incase you have Earlywatch configured for your existing system you can collect historical information on CPU and Memory utilization as well as user load on your system.

Use this information to feed quicksizer and generate SAPS value.

Suggestion here would be to add some 10 - 15% buffer over the value generated from quicksizer to take into account load from printing , interfaces etc.

These values are not captured under quicksizer as well as earlywatch reports.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

SebSchmitt
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Rene,

my recommendation is that you check the SAPS value of your current system. You can do this by checking your current peak CPU utilization and by asking your hardware vendor about the SAPS value of the machine (normally they have this value with almost 100% CPU utilization). He will definetely know this value. Depending on your historical information on CPU and Memory, you can figure out how many SAPS are acutally needed. Based on that information you can ask for new hardware. Do you expect additional load or additional users on the system as well?

Best regards,

Sebastian

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rene,

Please use SAP quicksizer tool to perform sizing of this new hardware. This tool will generate SAPS which can be shared by hardware vendor.

Regards,

Deepak Kori