cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading table data into Excel sheet - Webdynpro Java

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have developed a custom webdynpro application that executes an RFC and displays data in Table UI element. We have provided a button to download the data in excel sheet. When data is huge like, total number of rows filled up in the table are around 11,000 & columns are 32, and when user tries to download whole 11000 rows in excel sheet, the timeout occurs after 20 mins due to huge data. But when I apply filtering on the same table data and then try to download some 700 rows out of 11000 into excel, it took me around 3.36 mins.

If anyone encountered such scenario in past, please guide in this regard to speed-up the download to excel functionality or suggest any other alternative.

We are using 7.3 Portal and tableUtilities java class for export to excel functionality.

Thanks,

Amol.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for late reply...but it was a silly mistake of declaring variable initialization under 'for' loop. I had to pay price for copy-pasting code...

..Amol

govardan_raj
Contributor
0 Kudos

cheers

Regards

Govardan

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

I have the same problem, but I dont find the error in the source code... what was your problema?

You experience can help us with our problem (we have sap NW 7.01 and we use the generic method to export to excel)

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/edc2f3c2-0401-0010-8898-acd5b6a94...

Thanks in advance

Regards

Mónica

govardan_raj
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi monica ,

is your server getting restarted on exporting data to excel sheet ?

post your code .used to export the data

Regards

Govardan Raj S

Former Member
govardan_raj
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi monica ,

sorry for late reply , please give me some more details , here the code is fine standard way of exporting the data to excel is being described.

Now please tell me what issue u r facing like your server restarts automatically when uploading huge data ?

Regards

Govardan Raj S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Govardan,

The server don't restarts automatically when we uploading a huge data, onlly we open the file instead of save the file.

If we save the file the problem is that when we try to open this, the process can take hours and sometimes excel is blocked.

Thanks and best regards.

Mónica

govardan_raj
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi monica ,

sorry im not able to understand properly ,

The server don't restarts automatically when we uploading a huge data, onlly we open the file instead of save the file.

If we save the file the problem is that when we try to open this, the process can take hours and sometimes excel is blocked

you mean that after saving the file to your desktop , having huge data you are not able to open the file i.e the excel file. your file gets blocked or consumes more time to open the file ,

or else when you are prompted for saving or opening , on click of opening  you are facing the problem ?

let me be clear with your part , here your application deals with uploading the data from webdynpro table to excel sheet and allowing the end user to save or open the file  right .

Regards

Govardan Raj S

govardan_raj
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi amol ,

time out is occuring becuse

1) server is not able to process such huge data around 11000 records , you can use threads to upload the data to excel to over come this problem , we had same issue for downloding data to the table , we used pagination to solve the issue, like it fetches first 50 records out of n- number of records where n is 10000 and more , when i press next button it fetches next 50 records instead of fetching all 10000 at one streatch,

2) here i have a doubt , are you able to download the entire data 11000 records to the table , ? in one single stretch ? if that is the case then some issue with your code to upload data to the excel ,

and it usually takes few seconds to upload 700 rows to excel and not 3.36 minutes , i guess some redundant loops are consuming more time , cross check the code.

Regards

Govardan

daniel_ruiz2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

Can you paste the method used to create the spreadsheet here? - more likely to be something you doing in the code than POI itself, thou it's being reported some 'default settings' of POI may decrease performance on Productive environment.. (ie. logging)

Regards,

D.