cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI/BW Functional and Technical Specifications.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am on a support project and the client has no access to any of the FS/TS documents for their SAP BI Landscape .

They have sent me FS/TS templates and asked me to make FS/TS. This is my first project and I have no clue what to do with them. Do I need to find out all the reports they are using and then make FS/TS for each of the reports ?

Please help,

Thanks and regards

Max

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

KulDeepJain
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, I know documentation is always a boring work but the same time it is very important.

Documentation should be done at the time of new development / implementation.

But in your scenario you are new in this project and might be don't know about of purpose of reports. You can find the list of reports which is actively used from your manager, analyse same and start creating technical documents first .Then get a review from your manager of initial so he will suggest you any changes and ....

Regards,

KDJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi KD,

Actually the end users are in another country . I can use the RSRT to find the queries used in the system and make an excel out of it. Then back track from them and gather furthe details. Please let me know if this strategy is correct.

There are two templates, one is for BEx and another is for BI system.

So I will be creating around 200 ( as there are 200 reports used by the user ) and for BI system templates, I have to use detailed information for all IObjects, Infoproviders in the system right ? If yes, I guess it's a lot of documentation work and I need to give effort estimation asap.

Regards,

Max

former_member182516
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yah its a lot of documentation work but its a good chance for you to explore the entire system.

In your case you need to prepare specification for BEx reports as well as BI data flows.

- In you case you said there are around 200 reports in your system ( make sure you take this BEx reports information from Production environment not from QA or DEV).

FYI: You can get the complete list of BEx reports from the table RSRREPDIR where OBJVER ='A' and OBJSTAT ='ACT' which will provide you only the active BEx reprots.

- Out of this 200 reports check the reports usage using the Statistics table (RSDDSTAT_OLAP).

for this table you can collect all the statistical information like who is the user, how many times the report is being accessed etc.

OBJNAME - holds the query name

INFOPROV- Holds the info provider name

UNAME- user

- Based on the list prioritize, the specifications by confirming with business.

Does your end users have authorizations to create adhoc reports directly in production environment? if yes there would be cases where end users will create copy of the report with their respective selection for that particular requirement. here the Bex report remains the same but with different selection. You need to figure out such queries as well.

For preparation of Specs for BI data flow in this case you need to provide all the details like

- Title

- History ( changes , owner, Module etc).

- Detailed development design

- Development tasks

Like Technical design ( creation of Views, append structure, creation of data source, Implementation of CMOD logic.etc).

- Data source ( provide the fields and their properties in tabular format).

- BW development/enhancements

provide the list of things you need to perform in BW like , replication of data source, creation of IO or installing BI content IO, DSO, IC, transformation mapping,DTP etc.

- Delta

- Data Load frequency

Basd on the above points you can decide and provide the estimation.

Hope i tried to answer you point and the above points give you some idea.

You can google for the FS/TS, you can get sample specification for you ref.

Regards

KP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Prashanth ,

Thank you so much for your very valuable inpurts . I have just checked in the system and there are actually 220 reports with the criteria you said . So for BEx , I have to make 220 FS/TS Documents.

I am still a bit confused about the BI system FS/TS. Template has Info Area field with fields like DSO/INFOCUBES/INFO-OBJECTS .

I have check in the system and each Infoarea has 20-50 infoproviders. So I guess single FS/TS will be huge ?  I will ask few more questions once I again go through the system and the BI FS/TS that is given . Thanks again .

Regards,

Max

former_member182516
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Max,

Not sure if you need to prepare 220 specs...

First try to segregate the BEx reports and see how many reports are there for each info provider.

Lets say X info provider consists of 10 BEx reports built on it, now try to analyze and see if you find any common things among them. Now you can club those reporting requirements into a single FS.

I am still a bit confused about the BI system FS/TS. Template has Info Area field with fields like DSO/INFOCUBES/INFO-OBJECTS .

For ex: You have a MP --> under it you have 4 Info providers --> in such case you treat this as a scenario and create one spec for this.Like this you can reduce the specs. In this case the whole scenario covers 4 ICs and 4 DSOs.

No need to create specs for each and every IO also, try to create Specs only for the major master data like 0MATERIAL,0COSTCENTER,0PROFITCENTER,0WBS_ELEMT etc.

Regards

KP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Prashanth,

That was a lifesaver. I will analyze just as you told and give my manager the effort required .

Please let me know how can I reach you through email or through this forum . Although I think I got the big picture from your side but just in case, if only it's not a problem for you .

Regards,

Max

former_member182516
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

try to post in SCN you may get more inputs from other experts as well.

i f you really need then you can mail me to my alternative email id on my bio data.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try to analyse the design and create a structural document of how the data flows from source to report .

Ask your senior management to involve the business analyst or project manager in process.

Regards,

Akshay

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is no senior management that can help in this context . I have to alone handle this task. All I have is BI Production system, FS/TS Template. Just guide me how to start and make these FS/TS and other activities document . BI system was implemented by some other consultancy and there is no one to do the KT session or anything like that.

mohd_abdullah
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you said you have FS/TS template just go through that template and check what information is need to be filled in it. For eg check the below  ....

Hope this helps.

Regards.