Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross Platform Dump/Load >SP122 to SP110

patrick_scheibe
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello @all,

does anyone faces issues with cross dumping a database from a newer ASE Version like SP122 or ASE16 to SP110 or older?

The following statement i tried:

dump database xyz to 'xyz' at xyz

go

and got this error message:

WARNING: In order to LOAD the xyz database, the ASE must run in single-user mode. If the xyz database dump uses multiple volumes, you must execute sp_volchanged on another ASE at LOAD time in order to signal volume changes.

Backup Server: 4.171.1.1: The current value of 'reserved pages threshold' is 85%.

Backup Server: 4.171.1.2: The current value of 'allocated pages threshold' is 40%.

Backup Server: 4.171.1.5: The current value of 'parallel scan' is 2.

Backup Server session id is: 21. Use this value when executing the 'sp_volchanged' system stored procedure after fulfilling any volume change request from the Backup Server.

Backup Server: 1.67.2.16: Backup Server Internal Error in function 'fatoi'. Please contact Sybase Technical Support

Msg 8009, Level 16, State 1: Server 'xyz', Line 1: Error encountered by Backup Server.  Please refer to Backup Server messages for details.

Despite the error message i can log on with isql to the remote backup server or can execute statements like remote_bs...sp_who. Also the opposite direction to dump a database works without any issues.

Please let me know if somebody knows a workaround for that problem.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Patrick

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

patrick_scheibe
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Tilman,

Hello Bret,

thanks to you for your replies.

I know that it is impossible or better to say, not supported, to load a database dump from an ealier version of ase in an older version.

I only want to save a dump file on another database server which is on SP110. For that i dump a database of version SP122 on a server with SP110 with the already mentioned dump statement (dump database xyz at xyz). But i think that a scenario like this is not provided because of the unsupported load direction.

patrick_scheibe
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hey @all,

i want to update my question after further investigations of the problem.

I get the error message "fatoi" also when i try to dump a database of version sp110 local and want to load it from another server sp122 with the load database xyz from xyz at xyz statement. Furthermore the error only appears on HP/UX  (the workflow works on Linux).

Does anyone faces the same issues?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

0 Kudos

Dear Mr Scheibe,
So I understand you see the problem only when you try to dump or load your database on ASE 15.7 SP122 and only on HP-UX (HPIA64) .
Can you try to copy over the backupserver executable from the SP110 and place it in the $SYBASE_ASE/bin directory (thus replacing the backupserver sp122 by backupserver sp110 in the ASE SP122 system) . Do make a copy of the sp122 backupserver before.
Then restart the backupserver in the SP122 ASE server environment and retry.

I suggest to do this in a test environment only .
With kind  regards
Tilman Model-Bosch

0 Kudos

Hello Patrick,

could you please provide the full version strings of the ASE / BS you are using ?

Cause I see you are talking about a cross platform dump load, but I'm not sure where the different version are located.

A quick overview with the dataserver -v and / or backupserver -v will be enough.

Thanks.

Regards

Stefan

patrick_scheibe
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Tilman,

now i had the time to test your suggestion. Unfortunately now i get another error Failed to create or attach shared tape i/o buffers.

Meanwhile i think its the best to update the old ase version up to sp122.

Nevertheless i thank you all for your suggestions and support!!

0 Kudos

Dear Mr Scheibe,

To all my knowledge : a database DUMP which was taken on a new ASE server will not load to a database in an older ASE server . This is not supported.
It may accidentally work (For example I assume that you will be able to load a DUMP taken on an ASE SP122 into an ASE SP121 )  . But it is not officially supported.
New features in a new ASE server may change the database and or DUMp format so that the LOAD will not work. 

ASE supports the loading of DUMPS that where taken on earlier versions of ASE , e.g. DUMP was taken on ASE 15.7 SP110 and LOAD is done on ASE 15.7 SP122 or ASE 16.0 SP00 PL02.
That should work . For details see documentation in SyBooks Online on the topic.

With kind regards

Tilman Model-Bosch

former_member188958
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Loading a 16.x dump into an earlier version is simply not supported at all.

For 15.7 SP120-SP122 there is a bug (CR 765911), fixed in SP130 (not yet released), that prevents dumps from these versions from being loaded into versions prior to SP120.  When loading locally, the symptom is a 3223 error, "Attempt to read a dump trailer failed; returned error code is  2.".  The root cause was a formatting error in new information added to the dump trailer.  I suspect the "fatoi" error you are getting has the same root cause.

You might try doing the remote dump using the same version on the remote server.

-bret