cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heterogeneous System Copy on PI 7.3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a PI 7.3 SP7 System running with Oracle on RHEL5. I need to install the latest SPS and therefore I have to do a

OS-Migration to RHEL6, because of a new glibc version used in the SAP-Kernel.

All I ever knew or heard of OS-Migrations was "Use sapinst, do system-copy, easy....as click - click"

Then I found the "System Copy Guide Document version: 1.6 – 2014-07-07 for PI 7.1 to 7.4"

https://websmp101.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001324472012E

And now, things doesn' look easy anymore....

First question: Is this the right Guide for my system environment ?

Second question : Is there an "easy" Guide or a howto ?

In my opinion I'm faster if I do a clean fresh install....instead of a system-copy...

regards,

Dirk

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Why do you need to do a heterogeneous system copy (Migration) ?

Are you changing the OS and/or DB ? Based on what you have mentioned above you are going to a higher version of OS. In that case you need to do a homogeneous system copy

As you are on RHEL5 and planning to go to RHEL6 and RedHat doesn't support in-place upgrade you will need to setup a new system on RHEL6 and setup the target system there.

As this is a dual stack system and on Linux I would get the target system created with RHEL6 and get all the file systems created in the same way they are on the source.

Install Oracle or copy the binaries from the source to the target

Copy the SAP binaries and the content of the /usr/sap/SID file system from the source to the target.

Restore database.

Install license (if required)

Start SAP.

This will work and if there will be no change in the SID and hostname.

If you are planning to change SID/hostname then do homogeneous system copy using sapinst and just export the Java stack and for the ABAP do a backup and restore.

As you are on NW 7.3 I believe backup and restore will work for ABAP and Java as export/import is no longer required.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the answers,

I'll do a fresh OS installation, take the same hostname and ip-adress.

Copy /oracle and /usr/sap to the new installation.

regards

Dirk

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You can use RSYNC for the file transfer.

Also make sure that the /etc/services and the /etc/hosts files are updated.

Regards

RB

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My company has performed a couple of java system refreshes (homo/hetro) and either way is not a simple click click task.  Currently we are migrating code from PI 7.1 into 7.4 as the upgrade requirements to just bring the 7.11 SAP kernel up to 7.20 for mopz to calculate a stack took a few days for the PI lead.

Also keep in mind this is all on Windows Servers, so our requirements more than likely are drastically different.