cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

increase no. of BGD in instance profile before downtime

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

During the step 'preparation for downtime', and then followed by 'backup request' (right before downtime),

once we're sure that there's a complete system backup, we will disable log archiving and then proceed with system restart for it take effect.

Before I restart the system, is it still ok to change the values of parameters rdisp/wp_no_btc and rdisp/wp_no_dia of the instance profile, and then proceed with the restart? Is this still safe for the instance profile at this point?

Appreciate your immediate feedback.

Thank you.

Regards,

Gie

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gie,

Before I restart the system, is it still ok to change the values of parameters rdisp/wp_no_btc and rdisp/wp_no_dia of the instance profile, and then proceed with the restart? Is this still safe for the instance profile at this point?

Not sure what is the reason behind changing the WPs number.

Technically it is possible to change the instance profile parameters before restart. post changes execute sappfpar check pf=<path of instance profile> to adjust the share memory parameters.

Note: For Production environment it is not advisable to perform any unplanned activities with planned ones to avoid unnecessary complications.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Thank you for your response.

Reason is, in our production system the set BGD = 8 and DIA = 35 .

So, during SUM processing INITIALIZATION up to PREPROCESSING phases, where the system is still in use, these number of work processes is ideal. However, come Execution phase, I would want to increase BGD and reduce DIA, so I can reduce the downtime. Like, set BGD = 18 and then DIA 25.

I know that I could have set this at the beginning, before I start SUM, but I'm thinking if I can just increase BGD right before downtime, as part of 'preparation for dowtime' activities so I won't have to lessen the dialog work process during production activities.

I understand from your response, that it would probably be complicated if I do the change before downtime, so I think I'll just update the WPs before I start SUM, as part of my preparations.

What do you think?

Thanks again.

Gie

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Why don't you create an operation mode for this ? If you want to reduce dialog and increase background then create a new operation mode and use it.

Like I said before there is no such rule that changing of profile parameters are not permitted.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

I noticed from my previous executions that the operation mode are not being applied. I thought this is really the case. I mean for SUM, I thought only the set WPs in profile parameters are being utilized... obviously my observation is incorrect. (Or something is not right with my set operational mode.)

I wasn't considering operational mode, since I noticed from my first upgrade that op mode has not been applied.

Thank you for your confirmation. (And for correcting my assumption. )
I will just review my op mode settings and set the configuration parameters in SUM accordingly.

Regards,

Gie

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Modifying the profile parameters of the background and dialog WP's shouldn't be a problem.

Changes to the repository objects are not permitted and not to the work process configuration and memory parameter configuration.