cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration SMP 3.0 and Inventory Manager 3.2 / 4.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a Little doubt. For an Implementation of Inventory Manager after I have installed/configured the SMP 3.0 or SMP 2.3, in order to actívate the Agentry for Inventory Manager, Do I have to install the Inventory manager server (Agentry Server)  which I had downloaded with Inventory Manager Package from services marketplace? or Do I have to install Agentry server which came with SMP, and after that just configure the deployment package as application within the SMP? ... I'm a Little bit confused because I think these deployment files (bundle) are on the agentry server that came with the Inventory Manager package (that is why the question was raised) and if I do not install the Inventory Manager Server I wont be able to get this bundle. Another questions is: In case the inventory manager server must be installed in order to make the agentry / SMP integration work for this standard app, If after this implementation We want to develop /configure another agentry apps, Can I do this with the agentry server installed for Inventory Manager (Inventory Manager Server) and not the "generic" one that came with the SMP?

Please Help

Best Regards,

Mariana

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

i834235
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Mariana,

if your planning for fresh installation  for Inventory Manager  then  go  with latest release of IM 4.0 which is released on SMP 3.0.  Don't consider SMP 2.3 option if it is fresh implementation. becuase of upgrade to SMP 3.0 at some point.

In order to secure Java source code for  Inventory Manager application you need approach your SAP account executive.   It  is applicable  for both SAP partners and customers .

SMP 3.0 Server can be installed in Development mode or production mode. Once SMP 3.0  server is installed  it also installs Agentry component .  There  is no pre-packaged  Agentry mobile product that gets installed with SMP 3.0 platform.  Before you  deploy Inventory manager application on  SMP 3.0, you need to required Agentry  Add-on in SAP backend , activate BC set  and complete all post-installation steps .   Once your SAP backend is ready then go  you need to create Agentry application for IM 4.0 and deploy Agentry defintions for that product.  Deployment of IM to an  standalone Agentry  server or SMP 3.0 server is  still the same.  Only difference is  in SMP 3.0  you  create  application before you  deploy IM application.  Whether you install  SMP 2.3 or SMP 3.0 server there is only one server that gets installed ( development server or production server ) and there is no separate instance for Agentry  component  required in SMP 3.0  context.  I think that's where you have a confusion.   I  think you missed yesterday's SCN webinar on SNP 3.0 and Agentry  intergration..;)

Inventory application or .exe file i'm referring to is only bundle of Agentry  defintions not any Agentry  server  as you have understood. Mobile server in this context is SMP 3.0 server.  Inventory  application comes with Agentry  definitions and all the required java jars  for IM 4.0  application integration with SAP backend. That's what you  eventually end-up deploying "IM 4.0"  to SMP 3.0 server.

It would suggest you to install SMP 3.0  and deploy IM 4.0 application  that way atleast you  understand process  and clarify  all your  doubts.

I  guess it is better to go with SMP 3.0 platform rather then  SMP 2.3 or  Agentry standalone.

I hope i answered all your  questions.  If so can you please close this thread.

Manju

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Thank you guys very much for your responses, I'm more clear now than yesterday

Now , I have another question about one of your answers. When you said:

• "Upgrade Agentry Add-on on SAP from  IM 3.2  to IM 4.0  , Activate BC set and complete post installation activities"

If i'm on a fresh installation of Inventory manager 4.0, Do I must install the Add-on of IM 3.2 and then upgrade it? or Can I look up on marketplace for this add-on SMFND 610_700 with Support Package 03 & SMERP 610_700 with Support Package 03 and directly install them without install the add-ons for the previous version?

For the development part ... or customization I will open a different thread because I need to know in which scenario will I need the java source and when I won´t need it (customization just extending standard classes)... Because when I saw the and it was not clear to me if I need the java source or not, I thought I need it but now I don´t know...or I'm not really sure...

Best regards and Thank you again...

MC

Former Member
0 Kudos

You don't need to install the addon for IM 3.2 if you are going right to IM 4.0.  You will need to install the add-on needed for IM 4.0.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

i834235
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Mariana,

What version of Inventory Manager are you trying to intall ?    if it is IM 4.0 then  here are steps at very high  level.

1) Install SMP  3.0 with SP03 ( Agentry  component gets installed with SMP 3.0 server)

2) Upgrade Agentry Add-on on SAP from  IM 3.2  to IM 4.0  , Activate BC set and complete post installation activities

2) Download Inventory Manager from  service market place. ( it comes as .exe file)

3) Click on   downloaded .exe file,,,it will  prompt you to enter SAP backend information where SAP-Addon is installed.

4) Once step 3) is completed you will  have folder created with all the Agentry defintions .

5) logon to Management cockpit.  Create application for IM. It creates application folder server folder.

6)  You  can deploy IM 4.0  application multiple ways a) Publish from editor b)  Copy Agenty folders to  application folder created in step 5) under server folder. c)  Zip all the definitions created  in step 4) and import agentry application  from  management cockpit.

IM 4.0 is  offcially released on SMP 3.0 and not  on standalone version of Agentry.   Anything you do with IM 4.0 on standalone version is at your  own risk.

I hope it clarifies all your  doubts.

Thanks

Manju

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi &

Let me see if I understood what you guys answered me on this post...

1.- The agentry server is built on SMP 3.0 & SMP 2.3 and the standalone server on SMP 2.3 is only configure for development. Now, I have a another question about this...

Q.- if I need to configure the agentry's development environment besides Inventory Manager Mobile App, Does the SMP 2.3 developer server need two agentry server (The one built within SMP and the standalone for development process)? or just standalone server? or just SMP Server with Agentry generic server built within?. I understood production environment only will have one... the "generic" agentry server... as Steven said "SMP 2.3 needs to be use for QA and production", but i have this question regarding development server.

2.- Manju, We can install either IM 3.2 or IM 4.0, the thing is we are reviewing what versión is better to implement So I need to clarify my doubts for implementation process on both versions. The steps you mentioned put me in context and gives me some lights about the process, now, when you wrote: "Download Inventory Manager from service marketplace (it comes exe file)", is this the mobile server called "Inventory Manager 3.2.0 Sever" for IM 3.2 / "SAP Inventory Manager 4.0.1 Deployment" for IM 4.0?. The confusion raised here because the wizard for the mobile server that comes with mobile application implementation package, it is almost the same of Agentry standalone server, besides the SAP Backend information, it's pretty much the same wizard. In fact I think it will create a file system directory similar to standalone agentry server... So, my question about this is:

Q.- If the answer to my previous question: Does the SMP 2.3 developer server need two agentry server (The one built within SMP and the standalone for development process)? , is yes… and as you remark on your steps I need to install this mobile server (exe file), Is this mean that I need to install three agentry server on the development server (generic, standalone, mobile server)?, What happen with the file system directory for the agentry standalone dev server and inventory manager mobile server? Do they will merge in one??? And if I need to modify the inventory manager mobile app: which agentry server will be my development environment?

The SMP 3.0 which has the agentry component integrated and does not need a standalone one will need the "mobile server", does it? (exe file within SAP Inventory Manager 4.0.1 Deployment I guess or Inventory Manager 3.2.0 Server) and what about if I need to customize something on IM 4.0? The changes will be publish directly to the agentry component within SMP 3.0?

Another thing, is the Inventory manager server (mobile server) will give me the jar file from which I can get the IM agentry project for Inventory manager mobile app customization?

I know I can be confusing on my questions but please help me understand

Thank you both for the information / help you could give me ...

Best Regards,

Mariana

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Developer doesn't need to have both stand-alone and the SMP Server.  The developer can just use a stand-alone and then put it onto SMP server for QA.

The IM server is a Agentry Server with the IM application on it.

The IM application is Agentry Application and a Jar file for the Java code.

Stephen

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, the development/qa/production servers will have the SMP 3.0 / SMP 2.3 with it's agentry component activated and the IM server (for my purpose of implement this mobile application)... the exe file wrote about... No standalone agentry generic server needed on that machine

If I use SMP 2.3, the standalone agentry server is just for developer computer to code some agentry applications or customize the IM 3.2 Mobile Application (the standalone agentry server was not tested for IM 4.0, so probably it will not function as it should)... then the developer must publish its app to SMP QA

If I use SMP 3.0 and I need to customize the IM 4.0, I will get the files (jar for the java code) from IM Server, which has agentry server + IM app (as you wrote previously) ... Now, Can I use the eclipse indigo with agentry editor plug-in to make a copy of the mobile app and customize it? or Do I have to use SMP SDK 3.0?

Best Regards,

MC

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Mariana,

If you are running SMP 3.0 at the server all your Agentry components (Editor, ATE, Clients) will also need to be at the SMP 3.0 level.  You cannot use SMP 2.3 Editor or clients with the SMP 3.0 server.

SMP 3.0 Agentry Editor uses Eclipse Juno instead of Indigo.  You will also need to upgrade that as well if using SMP 3.0

--Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!!,

I was reading this post where wrote:

• First, you or your customer needs to seek permission from SAP through your sales representative to own the source code for IM 4.0.  The source is no longer available out of the box as it was in 3.2.

And now I'm confused about where will I get the application source code to adapt it to my business process (add fields, etc). Is this means that I need to create a OSS case in order to get the source code for implement changes on the Inventory Manager mobile application? the IM server (exe file) will not give the source code as it was on a previous release of IM? Is the IM server only purpose for connection between SMP and backend where the IM Add-on resides?.

BR,

MC

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Application Source Code will be with the IM installers.  What Jason is talking about is the Java Source code for the application.  You will need to talk to your sales rep to access to that.

i834235
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Mariana,

What ever  options i gave is for deploying IM 4.0 applicaiton on SMP 3.0 platform.  I'm not completly clear with what your  trying to do.

Can you please explain, So  that we can provide proper directions. 

Thanks

Manju

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi... again!!!

We are about to start fresh implementation (no version of IM installed on our landscape). Now we are going to install/configure SMP 3.0 with IM 4.0. Although the installations of  previous versions of both products are not discarded yet, I think the latest version must be the better way to go, because has enhancements, bug fixes, etc. On the other hand, the probability of making customization to Inventory Manager mobile application is very high, because we will need to add some fields, steps etc. Having said that:

in order to make customizations on the inventory manager application, I do need both: Agentry application (which came with IM installers) and java source code for the application, don't I?, If the answer is yes, this makes mandatory for me to ask for the source code... How can I get that source code? Through OSS? What is the standard procedure to get this files?

at the begining my question was about the deployment options... and still is, because we need to understand the process of installation for IM 4.0. As I understood of what you guys kindly answer me previously is:

• development/qa/production servers will have the SMP 3.0  with its agentry component "activated" and the IM mobile server ... the exe file you wrote about. No standalone agentry generic server needed on that machine. The IM mobile server, as I understood only will help to create a connection between SMP and backend where the add-on resides. Am I right on this?
  • The standalone agentry server is just for developer computer and only work with SMP 2.3. In my scenario, at this moment, I will not be using SMP 2.3, so this is not applied to me.
  • IM mobile Server (exe file), has Agentry server + Agentry IM application. Now If I have to install this exe file (this IM mobile server as the documentation named it), I'm installing a separate Agentry server (besides the one which is installed with SMP 3.0) for the application after all. Am I right on this??? ... If the answer is yes, is this IM mobile server, will have any impact or clash with the agentry server installed with SMP 3.0? or just coexists?
  • I was assuming that agentry IM application which came with IM mobile server  will give me all the bundle ( the agentry IM project + jar for the java code), needed for customization, as it was for IM 3.2. But as wrote on the post regarding migration process from IM 3.2 to IM 4.0... It is not.. That is the reason of my question to stephen...

I do need orientation because I'm newbie on syclo and syclo mobile... Thank you so much for reading me...  I will wait for your answers

Best Regards,

MC

Former Member
0 Kudos

You do need the IM Agentry Application, but the Java Code no.  This is because you want to extend the Java Objects instead of modifying the base classes.

• development/qa/production servers will have the SMP 3.0  with its agentry component "activated" and the IM mobile server ... the exe file you wrote about. No standalone agentry generic server needed on that machine. The IM mobile server, as I understood only will help to create a connection between SMP and backend where the add-on resides. Am I right on this?

The EXE has the IM application that is used to load onto the SMP Server.  There is no Stand-alone Agentry Server for the SMP 3 version.

• IM mobile Server (exe file), has Agentry server + Agentry IM application. Now If I have to install this exe file (this IM mobile server as the documentation named it), I'm installing a separate Agentry server (besides the one which is installed with SMP 3.0) for the application after all. Am I right on this??? ... If the answer is yes, is this IM mobile server, will have any impact or clash with the agentry server installed with SMP 3.0? or just coexists?

There is no Agentry Server in the IM exe just the application information.  You create a base Agentry Application on the SMP Server, and then install the EXE to this locations.

• I was assuming that agentry IM application which came with IM mobile server  will give me all the bundle ( the agentry IM project + jar for the java code), needed for customization, as it was for IM 3.2. But as Jason Latko wrote on the post regarding migration process from IM 3.2 to IM 4.0... It is not.. That is the reason of my question to stephen...

The Exe for the IM application will have the Application and Jar, and ini files.  It will not have the Java Source code.

Stephen

jason_latko
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mariana,

Yes, you will need to get the java source in order to extend it with customizations.  Sorry but I do not know the procedure for initiating this request.  The JAR is included now with IM 4.0, but not the java source.

Jason Latko - Senior Product Developer at SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

if anyone finds out how to obtain the source code, please share that information. I once tried to get the source code for the Work Manager via support, but they told me that the code is not given away anymore.

I am now using a combination of

- extending classes and configuring the custom classes in the config panel (see Stephens reply)

- use reflection to make fields from superclasses accessible, that are not visible in the custom classes (only if really neccessary)

- use AspectJ to weave in some code (at points, where classes cannot be replaces easily via the config panel, such as the Work Managers WorkOrderAssignmentTypeDelegateFactory)

Regards, Daniel

i834235
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Daniel,

Can you please create separate thread for your question ?

Manju

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

what question?

Regards, Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) Please use This account instead of as I no longer has access to that account.

2) If you are using the SMP Server (2.3) or (3.0) the Agentry Server is already build with the SMP Server (SMP 3 has no standalone version)

The Agentry stand-alone Server in 2.3 is can be used for Developing Agentry instead of using the SMP Server.  SMP 2.3 server needs to be use for QA and Production the Stand-alone server is only for Development.