cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HR infotype log in PCL4 and overall performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Originally posted in the ABAP place, but I'd love to get some feedback in the HCM context as well:

Hi there,

There has been a few threads about PCL4 performance with regards to reading, but I have a slightly different question:

We are working on an export program for HR masterdata and are considering using logging in PCL4 to be able to export only changed fields in the infotypes. To achieve this we need to add quite alot of extra fields and infotypes to the configuration in the IMG.

Does anyone have any experience about how additional fields and infotypes affect runtime and database performance of the system? How optimized is the system with regards to writing to this cluster?

It will obviously cause more data to be logged, and the database will grow slightly faster, but does it decrease responsiveness of PA30/40 for the end users? Is it possible to archive old data from this cluster? I'm guessing that it won't be a big problem, but any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Lars G. Gudbrandsen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Cluster tables are intended to be used for large amount of data. The number of infotype for which data needs to be logged should be kept as less as possible (just to satisfy the business purpose).

I donot think there is a way out to manually archive data from the PCL4 cluster and archiving should be discouraged as old data needs to be present in cluster then only it will be able to check for the changes.

Also, performance of PA30/PA40 should not get affected.

Also, you can develop a custom report so as to get the results as desired from the cluster:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-56892

JK1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Whatever Infotypes you choose to log changes for, the PCL4 cluster database will archive data based on the volume of the data.  If you work in a high-volume master data maintenance environment, these tables and clusters can become quite large and can negatively affect the performance of report RPUAUD00.

I don't think it will affect the performance at user level for PA30/PA40 interface.

Regards,

Jitendra