cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing from CA ERWin 9.2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All, I am trying to import a .xml created from SAVE-AS dialogue of ERwin 9.2 in PD 16.2 but for my dismay I am not able to import the data-types. Following are the list of steps:

1. Create a .xml file from the logical model (or even with just physical model) of Erwin tool using SaveAS dialogue box (Tried using both Standard and Repository xml options)

2. I can see from the xml definition the data-types are clearly identifiable for each entity

3. I go on to import the xml created using PD 16.2 from Import -> Erwin File option

4. I choose to import the xml as both LDM and PDM (Though LDM doesn't really import all the entities from Erwin file I created)

5. Strangely an error follow saying no right DBMS is chosen though I have marked the database in Erwin clearly (tried it as Oracle/Sybase IQ, Sqlserver 2012). I choose the DBMS as Sqlserver 2012 again in PD to continue after below error

6. Finally I am able to see the entities and diagram after choosing to 'Show Symbols' from drop-down option but the data-types are UNDEFINED

Please do let me know  - If I have missed to follow any steps for following 2 issues:

a) Why isn't all the entities shown in LDM of PD

b) Why does the PD show all the data-types as undefined despite the same shown in Erwin and .xml file imported

Thanks for your time and effort.

BR,

Anil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anil,

I did Import from Erwin 4.x and 7.x models to PD 16.1

A) For Erwin you have under File Menu=­>Export=>To External Format. Select Destination Sybase PowerDesigner PDM 8.x to 15.x. Run PD 16.2 and Open your new PDM file. PD convert from 15.x to 16.2. CA/Embarcadero has established a deal to have inside Erwin MetaIntegration bridge. If I remember correctly you have to buy a license. Several options are available at the bridge so you can achieve the best migration.

B) For your information Import Erwin 8.x and 9.x files have never been tested for PD! I do not think SAP has an interest now in the subject.

PowerDesigner supports, with their old home bridge, the import of the following ERwin v3.x and higher model files, though v4.x or higher files are recommended, as they contain more metadata:

• ERwin v3.x (.erx)

• ERwin v4.x (.xml)

• ERwin v7.x (.xml) – the ERwin model must be saved as Standard XML Format, and you must uncheck Only save minimum amount of information in the ERwin Save as XML File dialog box (Erwin 3.x and 4.x).

Note : Import from Erwin 4.x or 7.x .xml standard file work but it's not perfect! In 2012-2013 to my requests Sybase / SAP have made ​​several corrections. It's better but there are still some problems. I suggest you make regressive tests.

C) You can use Toolbus of Reischman or MetaIntegration bridge. But you must pay $$$ and also you must do regressive tests. Nothing is perfect. It's the life!

D) You can also downgrade...From Erwin 9.x you can save model in 8.x Erwin format. Open Erwin software version 8.x and save as xml standard. But it's not necessary a good idea...and I doesn't remember If the result is better!

Note : Your evaluation of my answer would be appreciated. Please mark the answer as "Helpful” or “Correct”. Also If you consider that I have answered mark the discussion as “Answered,” so that other members can find the answer more easily. Before posting a new question members search SCN to see if it’s already been asked / answered. That’s the fastest way to get information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ben,

firstly, my apologies for replying late amidst vacation and soaking work! And thank you so much for the effort and time spent replying to my question. I did try various options coupled with your suggestions to arrive at following conclusions:

1) Saving the file from ERWIN as PDM with closest version of PD works like cakewalk (Option A as in your reply - File -> Export -> To External Format) with right DBMS used.

Open the PDM file in PD (I used PD 16.5) and works beautifully to interpret all the code to paint the Physical model! One major issue I faced was - because of object naming convention and restriction of 30 char in Oracle few of the constraints were duplicated. Though this is not an issue until you validate your model or save the file into logical model in PD. Perhaps, meta-integration bridge as explained by Ben can be of help here

• You can choose to save the file as .ldm (Logical model) by correcting all the errors (sometimes you may want to change the PD validate options like password encryption etc to remove such warnings/errors during conversion)

2) Saving the file as .xml in Erwin 7.x never worked for me. Neither as standard xml nor standard with minimum info. Though .xml file looked absolutely fine, Powerdesigner 16.5 couldn't import the file completely (either data type was missing or all the entities weren't imported)

3) The most reliable of all was something similar to step-1 where I created a DDL script to reverse engineer the model using PD - rest can be at your ease!

Thanks again for your answers and suggestions.

Regards

Anil

Answers (0)