cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open Powerdesigner 12.5 PDM using Pwerdesigner 16.5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade physical model from 12.5 version to 16.5 version.  When I tried to open the 12.5 version pmd file (the file is quite large, about 60 mb), nothing show up in 16.5 powerdesigner, no error messages, just nothing there.

Can some help?

Thanks

Feng

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Feng,

See my answer on 23 August, 2014

marc_ledier
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

It sounds that you reached a memory limitation issue. I guess you installed the 32-bit version.

PowerDesigner 16.5 contains a lot more meta-data information than 12.5 and memory allocation can be an issue when dealing with very big model (sounds to be your case).

I suggest you give 64-bit version a try.

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marc,

yes, my PowerDesigner 16.5 is 32 bit version.  I followed up your suggestion and tried to download 64bit version, but I could not find any 64 bit version in SAP website.  Do you have the link to 64 bit version?

Thanks

Feng

marc_ledier
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

First go to http://service.sap.com and login (if not already).

Then click "Products" - "Software Downloads"

Then "Support Packages and Patches" and "A - Z Index" then "P"

Find "SYBASE POWERDESIGNER" and select "SYBASE POWERDESIGNER 16.5" (or SE, depending on your license).

Click "SYBASE POWERDESIGNER 16.5" this should deploy platform menu

<<

Win32

Windows on x64 64bit

>>

Select the 64b and you should see the list of PowerDesigner 64b installation.

First select 16.5 SP03 GA : "POWDES165003_0-10013312.ZIP" "EBF 22251: 16.5 SP03 x64" containing the full install.

Then upgrade to PL03 with "POWDES165003P_3-10013312.ZIP" "EBF 23191: 16.5 SP03 PL03 PowerDesigner (x64)"

Hopefully you can access this.

Marc

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you have a copy of the model in a PD repository that has been upgraded to 16.5? If so, try checking it out and then opening it.

I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but it might (as it's a large model), is the model stored as XML or in binary format? If you still have access to 12.5 (it can co-exist with 16.5), try saving it in the 'other' format and opening that new file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

George, thank you for the suggestions.

Currently we don't have PD repository.  We just keep the model in (xml) PDM format.  I did try to save as other format, but still not able to open it.  I think maybe it's the size (60 mb).  I have another model which is only half the size (27 mb), and I am able to open it in 16.5 version.

Feng

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Feng,

From PD 12.5 open your PDM and generate a SQL file (script DDL) and reverse this DDL into PD 16.5 (Database=>Update Model from Database). It's not necessary to have a connection to a DBMS. 60 Mb it's very big! It's take time. Be patient.

Bye

Note : Your evaluation of my answer would be appreciated. Please mark the answer as "Helpful” or “Correct”. Also If you consider that I have answered mark the discussion as “Answered,” so that other members can find the answer more easily. Before posting a new question members search SCN to see if it’s already been asked / answered. That’s the fastest way to get information.

former_member185199
Contributor
0 Kudos

@Bernoir :That reverse engeneering thing doesnt solve the original problem and may cause some  problems regarding errornous script generation and objects/metadata not generated

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

My interpretation is that the customer wants to convert a model version 12.5 to 16.5. The client is not able to open a model build with PD 12.5 over 16.5. I offered him a Workaround.

The client has four choices:

A) Making a RE and have the model in PD 16.5 until SAP corrects the problem ; if this is the case.

B) Open a case to SAP and wait until the problem is corrected, if this is the case.

C) Do nothing!

D) Try the proposal of Marc L.

About A) choice : Except the tables position (x,y), colors notes, etc on the diagram. PD should be able to collect information via RE.

If users of PD can not recover a physical model using a script (DDL). We should inform SAP aka RE PD 16.5 does not work! We agree that this is not the case usually! Otherwise we have a bigger problem with the PD tool.

If that does not suit the client further options are availables B, C and D.

Whenever we talk about models migration it here a possibility of error, elements that are not converted.

Even when you are able to open other models created with PD 12.5 from16.5!

Whatever the method used you should do tests to ensure that nothing is lost or added.

Surely the client know he can open a ticket to SAP to fill a Bug.

Maybe I'm wrong! but I presume the client post a request to have workaround. It is a community of interest. I agree with you If the customer wants a bug correction it should open a ticket with SAP.

Have a good day