cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proxy configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Our PD repository is currently housed on Oracle 11g database.  So far we didn't use Proxy server to connect to the PD repository.  But we are contemplating to use it going forwards because of 2 reasons:

a) We don't want all of our PD users know the repository schema username and password

b) We were told that having a proxy server will speed up checkin and check out of the models

From what I have gathered, the proxy software has to be installed on a windows machine.  The question is: What would be an ideal configuration of the proxy server which is expected to have 40-50 users hitting the repository ( may not be concurrently, may be 10 users concurrently).

Appreciate your help.

thank you

Krishna

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We are contemplating to use PD Proxy because of 2 reasons:

a) We don't want all of our PD users know the repository schema username and password

b) We were told that having a proxy server will speed up checkin and check out of the models

Two good reasons. And I confirm It's true!

From what I have gathered, the proxy software has to be installed on a windows machine. Exact!

The question is: What would be an ideal configuration of the proxy server which is expected to have 40-50 users hitting the repository ( may not be concurrently, may be 10 users concurrently).

It depends also on the size of your models. I suggest dedicated 4Gb memory to the Proxy. So I would opt for 64-bits Windows OS and 64-bit Proxy.

For maximum effectiveness do not forget to set the trace level to error and not at Complete. To reduce the entries in the trace file.

Usually a cache size of 300Mb is OK. It's the default.

For 54 users - 39 concurrent users the proxy can use from time to time up to 8 MB of memory.

Try to put the cache, the log file under different hard disk for maximum performance.

You must install the proxy on the same server where your DBMS is installed.

Note : Your evaluation of my answer would be appreciated - Examples choices are Correct, Helpful answer.

former_member185199
Contributor
0 Kudos

For 54 users - 39 concurrent users the proxy can use from time to time up to 8 MB of memory.

i think you mean 8GB ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the response.  Can you please clarify on this?

Our DBMS (Oracle 11g) is installed on a linux server.  I don't think we can install the Proxy software on linux server.  Did you mean, the same LAN ?

>> You must install the proxy on the same server where your DBMS is installed.

thank you

KV

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oups! Typo error! You are right!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

a) You can't install PD Proxy on Linux.

b) To have maximum speed and better customer experience : The best way is to install PD Proxy and DBMS on the same server (Windows)

The inherent latency to achieve a check-in (one request) that will generate thousands of SQL transactions over a network (coming and going) affects the performance and the customer experience when you use a direct connection. The lag created by the network becomes noticeable when running check-in  or during peak usage times of day. The nature of this lag varies following server geographic location vs desktop clients, overloaded router, firewall, modem or desktop configuration.

PowerAMC clearly becomes unusable on a Wide Area Network (WAN), data flow being too slow.

A solution to speed up the data flow when you do a check-in is to run an executable (the Proxy) on the database side, either on the same computer Thus, the PowerDesigner client connects to this executable with a dedicated protocol (SAP/Sybase) instead of directly connect to the database by ODBC. This configuration reduces the network communication because the proxy server is closer to the database server than the client. The proxy should be installed on the same server as the repository, if possible, to optimize communication between the components (memory vs network).

If the repository server is not a Windows server or is unable to support the additional workload, then we recommend installing the proxy on another machine on the SAME LAN SEGMENT.

Also the proxy over direct connection can considerably improve performance when dealing regularly with larger 15 MB+ models, due to its client request pooling and sophisticated caching when you do check-out. The memory cache can serve all users. If one or more documents are frequently requested, these are likely to be in the proxy's cache, which will improve client response time.

Answers (0)