cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What it it with SCN...?

russell_day2
Participant
0 Kudos

I am certain SCN contains a mountain of useful stuff but to me it looks like one of those giant garbage heaps you sometimes see on TV, with forensics people inspecting a leg hanging out of a torn black plastic bag - a huge mountain of possibly useful but only randomly accessible stuff.

I don't bother to look at it because I don't understand how to drive it.  Certainly, searching is unrewarding.

Case in point:  I am running a training course (TADM12) where the SAP MMC is mentioned as something that should be updated.  There is no reference, though, of how to find an update.  Perhaps the author of the course looked but it was too hard to find...

I go to SWDC (RIP - support.sap.com seems to have killed the short-cut) and check the usual places - Additional Components seemed like a good bet, or SAP Technology Components, not found.

So I search the notes database for "MMC Snap-in update" hoping to see a "How to update your MMC Snap-in" note.  No such luck,

But the first search result:

1326097 - SAP MMC Snap-In crash for certain operations

says to go here:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/index?rid=/webcontent/uuid/f056bfb7-94e0-2b10-978a-c4783aae3e9e

Fantastic - "Class, write this down."

This is, in fact, the go-to resource for the Windows MMC Snap-in, and it is all but unfindable.  The only way to find its link is to search a completely different database for a problem I don't have.

"No problem", you say, "use the SCN search."  I have not been able to cook up a search term that finds it.  Searching for the title (SAP MMC Snap-In) returns 7 results, none of which are it.

So there are several problems here:

1. This is a thing which should be updated regularly on all Windows-based SAP servers - so why is it hidden in SCN?
  2. Why does search not find it?
  3. Why is there no way I can tell people "Go to here" to find it, other than getting them all to send me an email so I can email them back a nasty-looking link.
  4. Can I trust that link will always work?

Anyhow, I have something I can tell my class "In note 1326097, which describes a problem you don't have, there is a link too long for anything other than copy and paste.  That will take you to the gold."  Woeful.

People spend a lot of time creating what may be great content in here - and it is unfindable, even when you are looking for it.

It makes me soooo mad....

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

steverumsby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Searching SCN for "SAP MMC Snap-in" does find the document. Not the first hit, certainly, but on the first page.

A Google search for the same thing has that document as the first hit. That's not unusual - I routinely use Google search rather than SCN search. Add "site:scn.sap.com" to restrict the hits, if you want.

Steve.

russell_day2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hmph.  I'm sure it wasn't there last week.

My apologies - you are right - I don't know how I missed it.

I think my attack of bile was aggravated by the download not being where it logically belongs - I searched the download area, then the notes database.  I read a bunch of  notes hoping to find the download area path and instead I find a big nasty URL into SCN.

Then I started to look for an easy way to tell someone else how to find it.  I have no idea how you navigate to it through the menus, and as far as I can see there is no way to track back once it is found in search.

So this is probably my real question - is it in the SWDC as well, and if not why not?  I have noticed that many things that seem to be product information somehow get filed under SCN.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also we have the SCN Support and Software Support spaces on SCN, which are managed by very nice people who might be able to address any concerns regarding search.

And there are sites like Bitly to shorten the nasty link, if necessary.

Message was edited by: Jelena Perfiljeva

russell_day2
Participant
0 Kudos

Jelena,

Thank you for your soothing reply. 

I awarded you a helpful because the correct answer is "Russell, you are an ungracious idiot!  Don't type when you are tired and cranky!"

My badge says I am Aluminium (i.e. lightweight and lacking in real strength) but I am demoting myself to Mud.

Russ