Connecting ESP with HANA using output adapter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am a newbie to Sybase ESP and the ESP environment I am working on is:

ESP Version: 5.1.08.00 SP08

Installed on Windows Server 2008 R2

I am trying to connect ESP to a Hana server and these are the steps i did:

1) Installed Hana 64bit Client on the Windows server on which ESP resides.

2) Created a DSN of HDBODBC driver using ODBC (Windows 64bit) and named it as "Hana_DSN_64".

3) Did a test connect and it worked fine.

4) Went inside %ESP_HOME%\bin to check for the service.xml file, but it was missing.

5) Hence, created a service.xml file myself, and added the below lines:

<Service Name="HANAService" Type="DB">

<Parameter Name="DriverLibrary">esp_db_odbc_lib</Parameter>

<Parameter Name="DSN">Hana_DSN_64</Parameter>

<Parameter Name="User">myUser</Parameter>

<Parameter Name="Password">myPassword</Parameter>

</Service>

6) Restarted the studio, (i am using a local cluster), and added a HANA Output Adapter into my project, edited the properties, and set the "Database Service Name" as "HANAService".

7) When trying to select the "Target Database Schema Name", i get an error saying :

Also, i noted that the "Database Service Name" is being highlighted in red (as is visible in the screenshot), is there any significance to this red color?

7) Next, i tried installing the 32 bit Hana Client, created another DSN using HDBODBC32 Driver and 32 bit ODBC utility (inside C:\windows\SysWOW64)  and named it as Hana_DSN_32. Test  connection worked perfectly fine. Edited the service.xml accordingly by updating the "Service Name" with the new 32 bit DSN, restarted the studio and tried the Hana Output Adapter. But still got the same error while discovering the "Target Database Schema Name".

Can you please help?

Thanks in advance and,

Regards,

Lalu George

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Others who may be more familiair with Hana connections may jump in, but ..

Just want to point out that 5.1.08.00 SP08 doesn't use the services.xml file anymore.

That file was for SP04.

Instead, in the studio you can define the service.

Good place to start would be downloading the SP08 Configuration and Administration Guide and check the description in Chapter 6 on Data Services. A lot has changed from SP 04 to SP 08.

Ben

former_member217348
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Just to add to Ben's response, the ESP Adapters Guide has instructions for setting up and using the HANA output adapter. The online document is here:

Streaming Data to SAP HANA - Adapters Guide - SAP Library

Thanks,

Alice

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alice,

Thanks for the online Document reference. I am checking it out now .

Regards,

Lalu George

Former Member
0 Kudos

OOPS! I was checking out SP01 document and wrongly assumed it would hold good for SP08 as well.

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction. I successfully connected to Hana using the output adapter.

Regards,

Lalu George

Answers (0)