cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syclo Inventory Manager 4.0 + SMP 3.0 Connection Issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We're trying to configure Syclo Inventory Manager 4.0 with Warehouse Manager 1.0 enabled, connecting through SAP Mobile Platform 3.0.3

When running the connectTest.bat, we're having a similar problem than the one mentioned on:

I already applied the SAP Note: 2042566 mentioned on the discussion as the solution, but it's not working for us.

Additionally, I followed a suggestion made by about using a decompiler to check the code. From that code, I created a custom test that printed the stack trace for the Exception being thrown.

Here's the output:

reading user credentials from [SERVICE_LOGON] section

connecting as...

clientNum=200

sysNum=00

host=123wnecdv.123sap.com

name=imsrvuser

openCustomConnection::begin

*** Caught exception: null

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.syclo.sap.jco.JCo3Connection.beginStatefulConnection(JCo3Connection.java:223)

at com.syclo.sap.jco.JCo3TestConnection.openCustomConnection(JCo3TestConnection.java:56)

at com.syclo.sap.ConnectTest2.initSession(ConnectTest2.java:172)

at com.syclo.sap.ConnectTest2.main(ConnectTest2.java:49)

release::releasing connection

endStatefulConnection::begin

release::complete.

Anyone has any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks!

Tags edited by: Michael Appleby

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Omar,

I checked with the official QA Inventory Manager 4.0.X+ patch coming out in November time frame (target - may change - don't quote this date) and the connectTest.bat works out of the box. Our QA team does not have the 4.0.0 version anymore.   What you may be seeing is custom to your environment. The connectTest.bat was designed for the product it comes out with. So from the SAP side, we know it works with our out of the box case in QA (The official testing ground of Inventory Manager 4.0.1+ patch).

Regards,

Mark Pe

SAP Senior Support Engineer (Mobility)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark.

I've been informed by my team that the version that we have installed is actually 4.0.1. Do you have that version available?

Sadly, we cannot wait until November for the next release, so I'll have to continue debugging until I find the issue.

One thing that would be useful is knowing if there's any other way to test the app configuration. For example, I read that you could ping your app by browsing to http://smpserver:8081/appname. However, we haven't been able to get it to work and we don't have any idea about what the actual response would look like.

Do you have any additional tips that could help us debug the issue?

Thank you for all your help!

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Omar,

The purpose of the connectTest.bat is to take out the platform (SMP 3.0) away from the scene and to see if the connection to the SAP backend is good. This way you can figure out that you have no issues connecting to the backend (minus the platform). The platform SMP 3.0 is a different thing. SMP 3.0 is where you will be setting up your inventory manager node (application) and synching on it. If you cannot sync then your startup.log file under your log Agentry files needs to be reviewed closely.

Regards,

Mark Pe

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Omar,

On SMP 3.0, if you go to https://smpserver:8081/sub-url (note it is https not http as in your question) you will get an I am here response if everything is working.

The sub-url (or appname) can be determined but looking at the Agentry startup.log file.

Also if you get any certificate warnings   errors while testing this URL it is a sign that you need to make sure the certificates from the SMP server are installed on your device so you can authenticate the server.

This is usually my second test (after confirming the backend connection with connectTest.bat) to verify the server is up and running.

--Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Bill.

Looking at the startup.log, I don't see the app being loaded as in your example. However, there's a File System Exception referring to a "path could not be found". This path is ../crossplatform/win32/FileSystemWatcher.cpp

Here's the log:

09:47:21 08/21/2014: Starting Agentry (64-bit Windows)

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Reading system ini file.

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Starting log file.

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Loading message groups.

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Starting threads.

09:47:23 08/21/2014:    1 initial threads.  Threads will auto-scale.

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Event: 0, 2, Loading the Agentry Runtime's public/private key for password exchanges.

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Event: 0, 2, Key pair loaded successfully.

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Starting Agentry: Agentry Server Agent v7.0.3.159

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Event: 0, 2, Agentry Startup

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Loading 0 front ends

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Loading front end from angelvine

09:47:23 08/21/2014: WebSockets Front End: loading configuration

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Event: 17, 14, WebSockets Front End v7.0.3.159

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Starting Agentry Server Agent

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Agentry Server Agent: Starting threads.

09:47:23 08/21/2014:    1 initial threads.  Threads will auto-scale.

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Agentry Server Agent: Adding messages.

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Event: 1, 4, Agentry Server Agent v7.0.3.159

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Loading agent from ag3.dll

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Starting Server

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Server: reading config file

09:47:25 08/21/2014: Exception: 09:47:25 08/21/2014 : 0 (General), File system exception (The path could not be found, ), ..\crossplatform\win32\FileSystemWatcher.cpp#75:Syclo::FileSystemWatcher::FileSystemWatcher

09:47:25 08/21/2014: Server: Starting threads.

09:47:25 08/21/2014:    1 initial threads.  Threads will auto-scale.

09:47:25 08/21/2014: Event: 20, 4, Server v7.0.3.159

09:47:25 08/21/2014: Starting front ends

09:47:25 08/21/2014: Event: 17, 10, WebSockets Front End v7.0.3.159

09:47:25 08/21/2014: Event: 0, 0, Old log files moved into D:\SAP2\MobilePlatform3\Server\log\agentry\rolled\2014-08-21-094719

09:47:25 08/21/2014: Event: 0, 23, Agentry startup is complete.

Any idea what that file is about?

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I would guess that it is trying to locate a file that is not being found or getting an invalid path back.  You definitely need to troubleshoot this as it is preventing the application from loading successfully.

I would guess it can't find the JavaBE.ini but that is just a guess.

--Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you using Development or Production Application Logic?

- If you are using Production, did you upload the application to the Management Cockpit?

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Omar,

As mentioned above, your startup.log has some flags that needs to be addressed.

Also when you see this:

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Starting Server

09:47:23 08/21/2014: Server: reading config file

09:47:25 08/21/2014: Exception: 09:47:25 08/21/2014 : 0 (General), File system exception (The path could not be found, ),

that normally means that you have an Agentry.ini that is being read.

In SMP 3.0, the Agentry.ini is not required but if available the system will read it.  The cockpit configuration mimics the agentry.ini.

Now the question is how did you deploy the application, with or without the agentry.ini?  Something in the ini is not being found (like a path or something).   You need to look at the agentry.ini closely this time (like my earlier comment above to look at the startup.log closely) or somehow figure out not to use it or use the cockpit item.

The trick is how you deploy (or how you created the Agentry node) - did you use or not use a zip file when you chose (Agentry)? The zip file has files in it, right? It could be that your zip file (files in it) is not up to date and hence when you started it failed (path not found).

If you look closely at what is coming out of the box for the product, it does not come with an agentry.ini.

See pictures.

Everything is based on the cockpit.

The error your presenting seems like you have an Agentry.ini file some how that is not working with your environment.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark Pe

SAP Senior Support Engineer

Former Member
0 Kudos

We're using SMP 3.0 and Inventory Manager 4.0 out of the box installation (no enhancements).

For SMP 3.0, we have installed the Development installation, which uses Derby database.

For SAP IM 4.0, we're using the executable provided, which is called SAPInventoryMgr401Deployment.exe

Our process is:

1. Install SMP 3.0 server
  2. Configure Agentry application on SMP 3.0 server
  3. Install Syclo IM 4.0 application using the executable. Path is <SMP Server install dir>/Server
  4. The executable creates the folder structure under <SMP Server install dir>/Server/configuration/com.sap.mobile.platform.server.agentry.application

Do we need to do anything different or additional?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. Please look at my previous reply to to get information about the process that we're doing upon installation.

I confirmed that when we install the Inventory Manager using the executable, the file structure created does not include the Agentry.ini.

However, when we create the Agentry application on the SMP server, it does create the Agentry.ini. So, the Agentry.ini that is being read by the SMP server is the one that the server itself created when we added the Agentry app on the Applications section.

I'm guessing that the error may be because of an issue during the SMP server installation, so I'm doing a full re-install now.

We'll let you know if I find anything else.

Thanks again!

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Omar,

Review that agentry.ini in detail. Does it make sense if you look at it? As mentioned earlier, the trick is in the way you deploy or created the Agentry node. You may have to tweak that agentry.ini again to get it to work but if you start the server again (SMP 3.0), it may reset (I am trying to study this flow but more tomorrow as I study the way our Work Manager team package the product). You are working with Inventory Manager and that is a different product but may follow the same guideline. If I find anything in my analysis tomorrow I may add it here.  Note: I think the trick is still how you created the Agentry node.  I'll know more tomorrow (on a tangent analysis front).

Regards,

Mark Pe

SAP Senior Support Engineer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark.

I re-installed everything following the same process as on the installation guide, and we're still getting the same issue.

The problem is that the Agentry.ini is the one created by default by SMP. I have not made any modifications to it, so it should at least load the application without any issues, which is not happening.

I also don't really understand if I should configure the application by running the executable or by using the zip file. Are these 2 different methods to do the same thing or should both be executed?

Moreover, when I try to publish the zip file, my SMP server hangs.

I'll continue trying different procedures during the afternoon today to see where I get to.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There should be a zip file named like SAPIM.4.0.0.0.zip (sorry don't have the file download currently.  In this file there will be the Applicaiton, and an Agentry.ini.  Upload this file to the SMP 3 Cockpit in the App Setting for Publish.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stephen. I have some questions:

• When should I publish the zip file on the SMP server?

• Do I need to install the Inventory Manager executable on the <SMP install dir>/Server folder before publishing the zip file?
Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to urn the Executable first, as the Zip file with the application that you need to upload, is one of the files that is created by the Exe.

Stephen

Former Member
0 Kudos

First, thanks to all for your help.

I was finally able to configure the Inventory Manager app with SMP 3.0. There are now no errors on the startup.log and when I ping https://smpserver:8081/SAPIM I get the response of "I'm here!".

The process that worked for me was:

1. Install SMP 3.0
  2. Install the SAP IM executable into a random folder.
  3. Create the Agentry app on the SMP 3.0 server
  4. Upload the SAP IM zip file from the random folder into the SMP 3.0 server
  5. Copy the contents of the random folder into the <SMP install dir>/Server/configuration/com.sap.mobile.platform.server.agentry.application folder.

I also installed the SMP server into the default C drive, but I will try re-installing into a different drive later.

Now, I have one final question: How should I specify the server for connection? Is it the same as the ping or is any other variation with different port number or path? For example:

Thanks for all your help!

Former Member
0 Kudos

The server address for the client should be the FQDN like:

https://<FQDN>:8081/SAPIM

Or Https://MyServername.sap.com:8081/SAPIM.

When you download the cert from the server it should also say the FQDN on it.

Stephen

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Omar,

As indicated yesterday when I said I am going on tangent to check Work Manager 6.1, I noticed the installation is same as your 5 items above. What I did was as soon as I ran the SAP(Prod).exe to a folder I just copied and rename it to com.syclo.mobile.platform.agentry then copied it to the Server/configuration like your step 5 above. I added this to my quick start guide for Work Manager 6.1 for SMP 3.0 (in draft).

Regards,

Mark Pe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark.

I got it to synchronize this morning. The final step that I needed was to configure the certificates for the trusted connection. I did this by adding the smp_crt.cert certificate to the Trusted Certificates on the laptop and/or devices that I will be using for testing.

For production, I think will need to figure out another way to do it, since I don't want to install manually on every device.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Omar,

I'm facing the SAME issue you had... Did you solved it?

When I tried to upload the zip it tells me the format is not the expected....

BR,

MC

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When you see that the format of the zip is not as expected or not production, you need to restart the SMP 3.0 after creating the Agentry Node (application). Technically you need to create the node + save then stop the SMP 3.0. Then relaunch it then load the zip file.

All is explain in the quick tutorial:

http://scn.sap.com/community/mobile/blog/2014/08/30/quick-start-guide-sap-work-manager-6x-with-smp-a...

The Work Manager 6.1 tutorial is similar to Inventory Manager 4.0.

Hope this works for you.

Regards,

Mark Pe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hola Mariana,

The issue that I was getting was that the SMP Admin Console froze when I tried to upload the file. I never got an issue saying that the format was not the expected.

I think you would be better following 's advice for that error.

On my side, as I mentioned before, what I did was:

1. Install SMP.
  2. Add the Agentry application on the SMP Admin Console.
  3. Install the SAP IM 4.0 application on a random folder.
  4. Import the ZIP from the SAP IM 4.0 installation into the Agentry server using the Publish option under the App Settings.
  5. Copy all the installation files from the random folder into the agentry application folder under the <SMP install>/Server/configuration/com.sap.mobile.platform.server.agentry.application folder
  6. Restart the SMP server.
  7. Connect using your favorite Agentry client.
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys

Finally I made it work ... when i did the test with https:smpserverfqdn:8081/SAPIM, the application responded "I'm here!"... Now I have other issue with the sync between client and server, but I will post a new question with that... be aware because I will request your help by mentioning you guys amongst others ones whom once helped me

Best Regards,

MC

PS: I liked the posts because I can't give you points for your correct answers

Answers (0)