cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues connecting to a SQL Anywhere repo from the Designer

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have installed DS4.2 SP2 on a number of Suse 11.1 Linux VMs using all of the standard settings, and making use of the bundled SQL Anywhere database as my repo.

I am getting an error in the Designer when I try to connect to certain repositories in the Login screen, but the problem is not happening on all installations.

The error is an ODBC message:

ERROR: ODBC call <SQLDriverConnect> to connect database <DS_REPO> failed with error: <[Sybase][SQL Anywhere]Database server not found>. Use the ODBCDriverSelector (Windows) or DSConnectionManager,sh (UNIX) utility in LINK_DIR/bin to configure the correct version of the driver.....(BODI-1112172)

I have checked both the ODBCDriverSelector on the machine running the Designer and DSConnectionManager on the server, and the drivers are all correct for SQL Anywhere 12. I can also successfully connect to the database from the Windows Repository Manager - the only problem is with the Designer.

I have tried adding an ODBC entry in the System DSNs for the repo database, and again I can successfully test the connection - but this hasn't fixed my issue, and the Designer can connect (when it can connect) even if a DSN isn't defined.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a solution - in the CMC, set the repo to use DNS. You need to first create an appropriate entry in the <install dir>/sap_bobj/enterprise_xi40/odbc.ini and then create an equivalent entry on your client ODBC settings.

former_member321020
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tony,

Sorry to ask you at this point. i am unable to connect sqlanywhere database on linux using windows repository manager.

host system is windows 7

guest system is red hat linux ( this is  VM ware )

databse is sqlanywhere 12 database on linux

bods 4.2 on linux

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sheshi

Have you tried ensuring that the same ODBC DSN is used on both machines? In Windows, you should set the value in the System DSN tab, not the User DSN one.

Tony

former_member321020
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the reply. yes I did in my windows system under System DSN not under user dsn. but still showing database server not found.

let me explain you in detail.

two laptops: one is red hat linux and the other is windows 8.

In red hat linux i have installed IPS ( information platform services )along with bundled sqlanywhere database and Data services successfully. During installation of IPS, CMS and AUDIT database and DSN's are created successfully. Upto here there is no issues.

Now i did ping IP address of Linux  server from windows, it is working successfully.

then from my windows machine i called cmc and data service management console url's .Both urls are working fine from my windows system.

Now when i try to create a repository through windows repo manager, i m getting the following error.

BODI-320006:Cannot open connection to the repository. The error message from the

underlying DBMS is ODBC call <SQLDriverConnect> to connect database <DS_REO> failed

with error:[sybase][ODBC Driver][SQL Anywhere] Database server not found.

Use the ODBCDriverSelector(Windows) or DSConnectionManager.sh(unix) utilit in LINK_DIR/bin

to configure the correct version of the driver.If the problem still exisits after selecting

the correct version of the driver,notify Customer Support.

An error occured during creation of the local repository.(BODI-300054)

Do i need to do any ODBC configuration in linux level before doing at windows level.I tried creating DSN using DSConnectionManager.sh at linux side....after giving all details and click on test connection, it is working successfully, but when i close the DSN and open again the passowrd is missing.

Requesting ur help on this as i spent more than 2 days...still no luck....

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should create the ODBC connections in Linux too, and then use the same DSN names in Windows. The Linux DSNs need to be available under the same user as the account that is running IPS\DS.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Same issue occurred on DS 4.2 SP 7,  I solved it as below steps

1. Run ODBCDriverSelector.exe .  (it is under installDir\DataServices\bin)

2. For all Sybase Anywhere Database versions select  SQL Anywhere 16 or which driver installed on your server.

3. in DataServices Server management tool: resync your repository which are added jobserver and restart jobserver.

you can use Tony's solution but in that case you must create ODBC connection for all clients.

Sinan

former_member235282
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Tony

I am facing the same issue that you had at the beginning, according to your solution I think I am doing something wrong since I have applied almost  what you did and it didn't work.

I have SQL Anywhere as well, please let me know two things:

1.  How  did you create the ODBC from server?

2. The ODBC.ini file is being created in the path C:Windows\, Do I have to move it  to the path C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Data Services\bin ?

I need to know  what is the path to configure in the Data Source Name (DSN):

Is it the same path?

Thanks

DO