cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the cause of this Load report failed error?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please see the below exception.

CrystalDecisions.Shared.CrystalReportsException was unhandled

HResult=-2146232832

Message=Load report failed.

Source=CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine

StackTrace:

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportClientDocumentWrapper.EnsureDocumentIsOpened()

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Load(String filename, OpenReportMethod openMethod, Int16 parentJob)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Load(String filename)

at CigCrystalReports2013.Form1.ConfigureCrystalReports() in C:\Users\kkleven\documents\visual studio 2012\Projects\CigCrystalReports2013\CigCrystalReports2013\Form1.vb:line 9

at CigCrystalReports2013.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\kkleven\documents\visual studio 2012\Projects\CigCrystalReports2013\CigCrystalReports2013\Form1.vb:line 14

at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

at System.Windows.Forms.SafeNativeMethods.ShowWindow(HandleRef hWnd, Int32 nCmdShow)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(ApplicationContext context)

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun()

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel()

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[] commandLine)

at CigCrystalReports2013.My.MyApplication.Main(String[] Args) in 17d14f5c-a337-4978-8281-53493378c1071.vb:line 81

at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String[] args)

at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

InnerException: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

ErrorCode=-2147467259

HResult=-2147467259

Message=Unspecified error

Source=sacommlayer.dll

StackTrace:

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ClientDoc.ReportClientDocumentClass.Open(Object& DocumentPath, Int32 Options)

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportClientDocumentWrapper.Open(Object& DocumentPath, Int32 Options)

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportClientDocumentWrapper.EnsureDocumentIsOpened()

InnerException:

This error is from a very simple test application where all it does is create an instance of the ReportDocument object and loads a report. I have included a copy of the code below:

Imports CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine
Imports CrystalDecisions.Shared

Public Class Form1

Private Sub ConfigureCrystalReports()

Dim Report As New ReportDocument
        Report.Load("BranchList_2013.rpt")

End Sub

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        ConfigureCrystalReports()
    End Sub

End Class

From what I have read, this is the first thing that needs to be done when creating a report. I am sure that the .rpt file is the the 'C:\Users\kkleven\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\CigCrystalReports2013\CigCrystalReports2013\bin\Debug' of this test application.

Can someone please help me determine the cause of this error?

Thank you for your time on this.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Which version of Visual Studio are you using and which version of the Crystal SDK?

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using VS 2012 and Support pack 10 (v. 13.0.10.1385).

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could you post the solution to this issue?  I'm having the exact same issue.  Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think the OP's problem ended up being caused by having multiple versions of Crystal installed side-by-side.

This was one of Don's responses from above: "That is likely the issue. CR 8.5 is not side by side compatible, we loaded a bunch of dll's into the \windows\system32 folder and have the same name, crpe32.dll is the major one as current versions, and they can cause problems obviously if loaded in the same app. So I suggest uninstalling CR 8.5, but the problem is the uninstallers did not work very good back then. You may have to manually delete all of the files after using the Add/Remove or Programs and Features to remove CR 8.5 and then look for the left overs. Unfortunately we don't have a list of what those may be..."

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Give Read / Write permissions to the %TEMP% directory.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried that and I am still getting the error.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Create a new folder called "C:\Test", Give the user 'Everyone' full rights to the folder.  Copy the report file to the test folder and run.  It's my experience that this error is a result of permissions MOST of the time.  Also have you attempted opening the report in the IDE?  If you can open it in the IDE, you should be able to open in code.

0 Kudos

OK, now we need details...

Add this to your app:

For Each MyVerison As Assembly In AppDomain.CurrentDomain.GetAssemblies()

If MyVerison.FullName.Substring(0, 38) = "CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine" Then

Dim fileVersionInfo As System.Diagnostics.FileVersionInfo = System.Diagnostics.FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo(MyVerison.Location)

MessageBox.Show(fileVersionInfo.FileVersion.ToString())

Return

End If

Next

What version does it say?

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am able to open the report file with the Crystal Reports 2013 ide application. I still got the following error after moving the .rpt file to the c:\test folder:

HResult=-2146232832

StackTrace:

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Load(String filename, OpenReportMethod openMethod, Int16 parentJob)

at CigCrystalReports2013.Form1.CrystalReportViewer1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\kkleven\documents\visual studio 2012\Projects\CigCrystalReports2013\CigCrystalReports2013\Form1.vb:line 19

at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms.CrystalReportViewer.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

at System.Windows.Forms.SafeNativeMethods.ShowWindow(HandleRef hWnd, Int32 nCmdShow)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun()

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel()

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[] commandLine)

at CigCrystalReports2013.My.MyApplication.Main(String[] Args) in 17d14f5c-a337-4978-8281-53493378c1071.vb:line 81

at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

ErrorCode=-2147467259

HResult=-2147467259

Source=sacommlayer.dll

StackTrace:

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ClientDoc.ReportClientDocumentClass.Open(Object& DocumentPath, Int32 Options)

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportClientDocumentWrapper.Open(Object& DocumentPath, Int32 Options)

InnerException:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Keith:

I replicated your code here and it works.  I confirmed it worked when the .rpt file was opened and locked for editing by another process (that was a long-shot).  The only way I can make it throw an exception is when I alter the name of the report to something that does not exist which makes me think you still have some sort of permissions issue on the .rpt file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there anyway that one of you can do a conference call with goto meeting or webex so that screen sharing can be done?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Since I'm currently dead in the water fighting a CSS issue, I could spend a few minutes on a gotomeeting.  See my user profile for my email address and send me your contact info.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do not see any email addresses under your bio. When I hover my cursor over your name on this web page, it says that your email is private. Can I just leave my contact information here?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sure.  I'll call you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

My number is 831-233-5449. I have recently found that my progem works fine on my normal computer. The computer that I am getting the error on is one that we have set up specifically for the Oracle 12c client.

I will talk to you soon.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm starting to think that there is something seriously messed up with the project. Three things to do:

1) Create a brand new project. You can use this code:

Private Sub CrystalReportViewer1_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles CrystalReportViewer1.Load

Dim crReportDocument As New CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument

crReportDocument.Load("C:\Users\kkleven\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\CigCrystalReports2013\CigCrystalReports2013\bin\Debug\BranchList_2013.rpt")

CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = crReportDocument

End Sub

or

Public Sub New()

' This call is required by the designer.

InitializeComponent()

' Add any initialization after the InitializeComponent() call.

'CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = "C:\Users\kkleven\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\CigCrystalReports2013\CigCrystalReports2013\bin\Debug\BranchList_2013.rpt"

End Sub

2) If the new project also does not work, copy the report file to some test directory. I'd suggest c:\test. Then change the path in the above new app to load the report from c:\test. Does that work?

3) Use Process Monitor, see what is happening when the report engine attempts to load the report.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek.  While I await some resolution on my CSS issue (wink), I thought I'd get on a web meeting with Keith to see if I could help.  I checked all references in the project setup and everything looked fine.  I also had him add code to simply open the file using the system.io class and the code was able to do this and read the file.  Based on this, I suggested uninstalling the VS SDK, re-installing and then rebooting for good measure.

His project is running on a different machine successfully, so the issue is environment-related.  I did notice that there are 2 versions of Crystal Reports installed on the machine, 8.5 and 2013.  Don't know if they play together nicely or not.

0 Kudos

Hi Greg,

That is likely the issue. CR 8.5 is not side by side compatible, we loaded a bunch of dll's into the \windows\system32 folder and have the same name, crpe32.dll is the major one as current versions, and they can cause problems obviously if loaded in the same app.

So I suggest uninstalling CR 8.5, but the problem is the uninstallers did not work very good back then. You may have to manually delete all of the files after using the Add/Remove or Programs and Features to remove CR 8.5 and then look for the left overs.

Unfortunately we don't have a list of what those may be...

Don

0 Kudos

Also, it could be some process does have the report locked. I get it once in a while if I have the report opened in CR Designer.

Try using this:

rpt.Load(rptName.ToString(), OpenReportMethod.OpenReportByTempCopy);

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

No. Still getting the error.

0 Kudos

Just what the error indicates, it can't find the report.

Try fully qualifying the path:

Report.Load(@"c:\reports\BranchList_2013.rpt")

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just tried that. Here is the code:

Public Class Form1

Dim Report As New ReportDocument
        Report.Load("C:\Users\kkleven\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\CigCrystalReports2013\CigCrystalReports2013\bin\Debug\BranchList_2013.rpt")

End Sub

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        ConfigureCrystalReports()
    End Sub
End Class

I still get the same error as below:

HResult=-2146232832

StackTrace:

at CigCrystalReports2013.Form1.ConfigureCrystalReports() in C:\Users\kkleven\documents\visual studio 2012\Projects\CigCrystalReports2013\CigCrystalReports2013\Form1.vb:line 9

at CigCrystalReports2013.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\kkleven\documents\visual studio 2012\Projects\CigCrystalReports2013\CigCrystalReports2013\Form1.vb:line 14

at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()

ErrorCode=-2147467259

HResult=-2147467259

Source=sacommlayer.dll

StackTrace:

InnerException:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you running VS as 'Administrator'?  If not, I would suggest doing so.  This sounds like a permissions issue.

0 Kudos

Hi Keith,

How did you create this:

If you double click on the Viewer and then add your code it should look like this:

Public Class Form1

Private Sub CrystalReportViewer1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles CrystalReportViewer1.Load
        Dim Report As New CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument
        Report.Load("C:\reports\formulas.rpt")
        CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = Report
    End Sub
End Class

And the above works.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is my code after I made the recomended changes:

mports CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine

Public Class Form1

'Private Sub ConfigureCrystalReports()

'    Dim Report As New ReportDocument
    '    Report.Load("C:\Users\kkleven\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\CigCrystalReports2013\CigCrystalReports2013\bin\Debug\BranchList_2013.rpt")

'End Sub

'Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    '    ConfigureCrystalReports()
    'End Sub

Private Sub CrystalReportViewer1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles CrystalReportViewer1.Load
        Dim Report As New CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument
        Report.Load("C:\Users\kkleven\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\CigCrystalReports2013\CigCrystalReports2013\bin\Debug\BranchList_2013.rpt")
        CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = Report
    End Sub
End Class

Please not that all but the last Sub is commented out.

I am still getting the following error:

HResult=-2146232832

StackTrace:

at CigCrystalReports2013.Form1.CrystalReportViewer1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\kkleven\documents\visual studio 2012\Projects\CigCrystalReports2013\CigCrystalReports2013\Form1.vb:line 19

at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms.CrystalReportViewer.OnCreateControl()

ErrorCode=-2147467259

HResult=-2147467259

Source=sacommlayer.dll

StackTrace:

InnerException:

Former Member
0 Kudos

I tried that and I am still getting the same error.