cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't say "Yes" or "No" ..!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends

It's been quite some time, we didn't find much fun around items in COFFEE CORNER. Let's start with an interesting stuff once again..

Here is a challenge that you should not be replying with "Yes" or "No" to the question which has been posted and also your answer should be relevant to the question. Please don't make the statement too lengthy

Once you have answered, post another and let see how long the thread goes...

Do you like "Coffee Corner" community in SCN?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Reminded me of an old joke:

A linguistics professor was lecturing to his class one day. "In English," he said, "A double negative forms a positive. In some languages, though, such as Russian, a double negative is still a negative. However, there is no language wherein a double positive can form a negative." A voice from the back of the room piped up, "Yeah, right."

Former Member
0 Kudos

LOL..

In my mother language (Afrikaans) we also have a very popular expression to start most discussion type sentences with: "Ja, nee". It literally means "Yes, no". It is functionally equivalent to the ABAP function module RZL_SLEEP and basically indicates that you reserve the server for communication with a default of 3 seconds sleep for all other users while you think. That gives everyone enough time to take another sip of their Brandy & Pinenuts soda and adjust their seating to a more comfortable position.

In Switzerland in Swiss German dialect it is also very popular to end conversational sentences with the "..., order?" extension. Literally it means "or...?" and you are doubting yourself, but functionally it is a syntax short dump which invites non-Swiss folks to analyse the short dump and get themselves into trouble.

Answering "..., oder?" with "Ja, nee" has served me well as a South African in Switzerland for the past 10 years despite the language barriers.

Cheers,

Julius

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In my mother tongue 'Tamil' we say 'Yes, No' (Aama, Illa') when we agree to something. I am not sure about how it evolved but seems funny  thinking why we would agree to disagree to agree

Benedict

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SCN - come for SAP stuff, stay for a Linguistics lesson. (c)

And let's not forget about the mysterious Indian headshake.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, in Afrikaans it is similar. You are not necessarily agreeing with everything, but sending a message of understanding to the communication partner.

For sure it is a bad sign to take up the conversation after the sleep invoking powers of "Ja,nee" with "maar jy weet..." (but you are meant to know that...).

The conversation will go downhill from that point onwards regardless how nice the campfire environment is.

So, yes. It is neither yes nor no, but no is frozen for a while... 🙂

Cheers,

Julius

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Priceless. The "or" is a very inviting way to say I respect your having a different opinion.

How about these gems from a website speaking about the business of no in Japan (and I don't refer to Noh theater). Japanese Business Culture - "Yes" means
"No" and "Yes" means "Yes". Which "Yes" is the real "Yes"?

"I personally like your idea" is quite suspect indeed.  As is, "let me talk this over with colleagues and get back to you."

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you can also give Africans links to click on if you want.

That is functionally equivalent to a 404 error or practically a "fluffy zone" for those who can click on it but don't.

So let's test this....

Basically I read your answer and I did not click on your link and thereby raise you a "Ja,nee".

Lets see whether you understand how to use, "... oder"?

Cheers,

Julius

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Let me add to that the East German use of "..., ne?" that has pretty much the same meaning as "..., nicht wahr?"/"...,oder?"  

It can also be the ONLY part of the sentence. When somebody says something, you can respond with "Ne?" meaning "yes, I see it that way, too". So it's like a "uhuh".

@Julius: I know "Ja, nee", too. It's popular in Germany, too. ^^

Gotta love things like this. *g*

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well I can be in sleep mode to respond... or....

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

we say 'yeah.... nah'. We start agreeing with you and as our mind catches up with what you've said we are already disagreeing and after 'nah' you'll hear why.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Great! We keep it simple and just go "Yes, but..."

kakshat
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

After reading that comment of yours, ABAP can very well be your mother language!

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is a comedy TV show in the UK called "Little Britain" and one of the characters always uses the "yeah but no but yeah" line...  Possibly (read probably) NSFW - Little Britain USA - Vicky Abuses Prison Guard "Yeah but, no but...". - YouTube

It's pretty common here in the UK to say something like that a lot!

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm surprised Thomas hasn't made an appearance in this thread yet, wa. Can't have such a thread without the Berliner's equivalent of such liguistic jewels, wa.

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ach nee, falscher Thread, wa, oder?

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Gell?

Another one of those "..., right?"-thingys. This one is native to South-West Germany. ^^

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And Basel...

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you like "Coffee Corner" community in SCN?

off-course

Former Member
0 Kudos

Smart   but you didn't post a question...

Post your question now and lets see how long this goes...

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you want to be millionaire? 

KulDeepJain
Active Participant
0 Kudos

No, else I have to have SAP to manage my money and again I will be working as Consultant..

Do you know about Bitcoin ?

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

KD Jain wrote:

No, else I have to have SAP to manage my money and again I will be working as Consultant..

you started with NO and loose the trune, basic rule is no Yes Or NO

Try one more time.

I some what understand its a system which help you transferring money, like you send 100$ USD to me in India and it get credited as 100 INR in my account.

1:60 may be missed out during conversion.

My turn again,

Do you like Pizzas?

Ritesh

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This reminds me of the "don't say no"-scene of the movie "The Negotiator".... 😆