cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Diagnostic Agent Configuration in BI4.1

JohnClark
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I've installed the SAP Diagnostic Agent on our BI4.1 servers.  I am trying to enter the Placeholders on a test server but it is giving me an error on teh SMDAgentHost entry.  From the documentation, it is my understanding that the SMDAgentHost is the host name of the server that it is installed on.  Just the name of the server, not the fully qualified domain name of the server.

Am I correct in my interpretation of what needs to be entered for the SMDAgentHost Placeholder?

Of course, now when I want to post a question about this, I can't find the error that I was seeing related to the AgentHost, partly because I noticed it in passing while working on something else.

The SMDSystem log files record that it is finding the SAPLOCALHOST without an issue.  I also have the reference to SAPOSCOL configured for the Monitoring application and it is collecting host metrics as expected.

I don't have anything else configured yet to work with the SMD Agent although I plan on installing Solution Manager and connecting it there.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Toby_Johnston
Advisor
Advisor

Hi John,

This parameter should be set to "localhost".  This is because this parameter tells the c++ BI servers (webi, cms, etc) managed by this SIA how to connect to the SMD Agent NCS listener on the server (which is almost always localhost and port 6404)

Regards

Toby

JohnClark
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Toby.  This did what I wanted it to.  After using these settings I no longer get these entries in our *_ncs.trc log files:

[Thr 4672] ***LOG Q0I=> NiPGetHostByName: '$SMDAgentHost' not found: getaddrinfo [ninti.c 897]

[Thr 4672] *** ERROR => Main agent failed to be initilized due to incorrect host setting! [ncsmtdatasen 20]

[Thr 4672] *** ERROR => Main agent failed to be initilized due to incorrect host setting! [ncsmtdatasen 20]

Answers (0)