cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Web Dispatcher Installation on MSCS Cluster

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are trying to install SAP Web Dispatcher on a MSCS Cluster. I am following the Note 1564222 - How to install the SAP Web Dispatcher in a Microsoft Failover Cluster? for setting this up.

Post the creation of SAP Resource Service in Step 10(C), I am unable to move the cluster resource to Node B.

"Error Code: 0x80071398

The operation failed because either the specified cluster node is not the owner of the group, or the node is not a possible owner of the group"

After looking into this issue further, I think the problem could the the advanced policies tab for the SAP Resource which specifies the owner as Node A only, I believe it should contain both Node A and Node B.

Any suggestions on how to fix the issue?

Regards,

Vishnu.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

did you create the windows service on both nodes?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yogesh,

We cannot do anything on Node B as the move to Node B is failing.

Thanks,

Vishnu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

not sure why it is behaving like this but you can create the windows service manually on both nodes.

- copy the file ntscmgr from the kernel directory to any local folder on node 0B

- open elevated prompt and go to the folder with this file.

- run command ntscmgr -install <Service Name>, give exactly same service name as node 0A

- open regedit on both nodes. Traverse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet\Services\<Service Name>

- Match entries from Node 0A and create same entries on 0B.

Try the failover. Let me know how it goes.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Thank you, for your response. I have seen the link. However, in our case, can you tell me, how do I change the owner to both nodes for this service that was created. For the generic service, both the nodes are listed as the owner, only for the SAP service, we only have Node A as the owner, but not Node B.

Regards,

Vishnu.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vishnu,

Please have to look into steps from link below

http://glutenfreesql.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/possible-owners-windows-2008-r2-cluster/

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

The link talks about removing Nodes, how do we add them?

Regards,

Vishnu.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vishnu,

When attempting to run a failover cluster resource to another node, you are getting the required error message as above.

How to Analyze

Observing the properties of the cluster group, we have all the servers as Possible Owners, but still the error occurs.

But looking at every feature of our group noticed that there was a disk that had all nodes as Possible Owners.

Solution:

Marking missing nodes as Possible Owners could move resources between all nodes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

You are right, about marking possible owners. But for SAP Resource that I have created, how do I add Node B as the possible owner.

Regards,

Vishnu.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vishnu

Have you refer the SAP Note 1564222 in right way with all configuration steps? we are also followed the same note in a year back.

Have you created a separate group in Failover cluster  for SAP Webdispatcher as mention in the below screen shot?

Could you share you screen shot?

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Sriram,

The cluster resource is fine. The problem is with the SAP Resource that we create. I believe your screenshot is from Windows 2008, we have Windows 2012. Below is the screenshot, I have pointed to the Resource I am talking about.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

1. I thing your are not taken any action in the cluster node2. Have you created the same services in cluster node 2?

2. SAP dispatcher Cluster disk resource failover from node 1 to 2 with any issue?

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

I have not done anything on Node B. With the Resource that I pointed out, not having the Node B as the owner, the cluster resources are failing when I move them to NodeB.

Regards,

Vishnu.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Once again follow the steps mention in the SAP Note 1564222. On Node B your dispatcher MSCS resource should be on node b

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram,

Have tried it a few times. Every time its the same issue, with the cluster resources unable to move to Node B. Unless, I move the cluster resource to Node B, I cannot create the service on Node B.

Regards,

Vishnu.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Before the move the Dispatcher cluster resource from node A to B, make sure that SAP Dispatcher services is offline in node A and then failover the resource to node B, cluster disk & DNS name should be online, & Sap dispatcher service should be offline. Create the services in windows OS level as mention in the SAP Note

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you try the steps I suggested. They are pretty simple and I have done it several times.