cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi Everyone...wanted some clarity on what is a RFC ID?

0 Kudos

I have the knowledge that RFC IDs are advisable to be system IDs...I am looking for a small basic example, perhaps a program where a RFC call is being used and a RFC ID is utilized...who logs in to the RFC ID?what does the ID do in the target system??? an overview would be highly appreciable...any good link or snapshots would be highly beneficial for my understanding.

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi...

Thanks for the links....they were good....wanted to know- when a program having a RFC Destination is executed..then who logs into the system/RFC ID for authentication when the RFC Destination is called?? Whats the case when these programs are run by batch jobs?? Does the concept of trusted systems maintained for a RFC destination come into the picture??

former_member201275
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't have the complete answer for you but hopefully my input helps a bit.

If you go to SM59, the RFC connections are maintained there. If you double click on any one of these you will see a tab "logon & security", this is the userid and password that is used when the rfc program, or rfc function is called.

The settings maintained in SM59 is usually a task performed by the Basis team.

When you set up a batch job that will have its own seperate userid, this is not necessarily the same as the one used for the rfc call.

0 Kudos

Thanks for your inputs Glen....appreciate it.. But still my picture remains vague!!

When a RFC call is being executed it connects to the destination via an ID...so for its authentication it requires a password..So does someone manually type it in?? or the password gets fetched from the logon security tab in SM59?? If an user manually types in then the password needs to be shared to every such user who needs it...

former_member201275
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When you make an RFC call and you pass the destination ID with the call then all the settings within SM59 are used including the userid and password.

0 Kudos

Not convinced Glen....There can be some RFC Destinations setup in our system but the RFC IDs in use can be many more in number. You can use a RFC destination to call another system and basically it should ask for authentication and you give the RFC ID made for that purpose and its password!! This password should be know to the person who is running the program.Now it depends whether it is maintained in SM59(fetched from SM59 as said by Glen) or it can be it is not maintained but infact just known to the user running the program.Is this correct? Not pretty sure....Please correct me if my idea is wrong.

Regards...

former_member201275
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In SM59 there is under the "Logon & Securtiy" tab a "Current User" button. If you select this then you would have to enter a password.

If you go to SM59 now in your system, click on "abap connections", then double click any connection, on your menubar there s a button "Connection test", click this and this will run a test logon to the system with the userid and password maintained (providing the "current user" checkbox is not checked) i.e. it will logon even though you don't know the password.

Of course, in the system you are logging on to the userid maintained in SM59 will also have to have authorisation and security settings in the system you are connecting to, you would not be able to do an RFC call and retrieve absolutely all data etc.

I hope i have helped, and explained it okay, when not you can find plenty of info anyway on google.

Best of luck.

0 Kudos

Hi All...thanks for your inputs...most of my doubts are clarified now....