cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PA + R & Win8.1?

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just wondering whether anyone has had any success calling any R function (even the ones that are standard available)) in SAP PA running on a Windows 8.1 pc?

When my colleague and I try to do so, the entire software package "crashes" without any error message... it just "vanishes". On my Windows 7 desktop it works fine (but I don't feel like bringing my desktop with me to customers).

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

AndreasForster
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ralf,

I have got the SAP PA 1.17 evaluation version running just fine on a Win 8.1 box. It's a fresh PA install, with R installed/configured by PA itself. The R algorithms work well.

https://store.sap.com/sap/cp/ui/resources/store/html/SolutionDetails.html?pid=0000011328&catID=&pcnt...

Do you want to log a ticket with tech support?

Greetings

Andreas

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I can't really, as my S-id is not linked to any "systems"... all I can do is order courses

Ok, since it works for you, it must be linked to how we installed it on our pc's. This Wednesday (working on production issues at a customer today and tomorrow) I'll reinstall it once more on the Win8.1 laptop & install R from within PA (I already had R on it before) and retest again.

Message was edited by: Raf Boudewijns

AndreasForster
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Ralf,

The solution in this post might help. It sounds like the system variable R_HOME could be the culprit.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3519929

Greetings

Andreas

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hey Andreas,

that could actually be it... just checked & both R_HOME & R_LIBS were not pointing to the right location. Meanwhile my trial version has expired, so I'm reinstalling to see whether this solves my problem.

I'll keep you updated!

Raf

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hey Andreas,

I actually had to uninstall R completely, remove the environment variables and then reinstall it from within SAP PA. Now it (finally) works on my Win 8.1 machine.

A bit stranger as now I have a "downgrade" as far as R goes... 3.1.0 instead of 3.1.1 (the latter is working fine with SAP PA on my Win 7 desktop by the way). Also, I'm still kind of worried that a perfectly fine working R installation did not work in combination with SAP PA and needed a re-install.

Anyways, I can continue with my tests, which is the most important part at the moment.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Raf

AndreasForster
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Raf,

Glad to hear it is working now.

I haven't heard of any difficulties with R 3.1.1 so far. I am guessing it would work with that version too, maybe the manual R install was missing some configuration that PA requires (such as R_HOME)?

Greetings

Andreas

RafkeMagic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

there is actually no R_HOME (anymore) in my current setup (nor is there on my desktop where everything works smoothly from the start)

yesterday afternoon, it crashed again however... I deactivated fast boot (tip from a colleague) after which it worked smoothly again

Answers (0)