cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restrict "insert new data source" in Analysis, edition for Microsoft Office report

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

There is a requirement in my current project: when an end user access a Analysis, edition for Office Report from BI platform, they can view and refresh the report. But users should not be able to add new data source in that Analysis Report. As per my understanding, that means "insert data source" button should remain disable for the user.

I have check all available access levels from CMC, but cannot find any. It will be great if you let know correct access level in CMC for the same.

Any comments/recommendation will be appreciated.

I am using BOXI4.1 SP3 version with Microsoft Office 2013.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Animikh Chaudhury

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

torsten_wirth
Participant
0 Kudos

The answer from our account manager is that there is only one license model for AO - which means every user is able to refresh, navigate, use planning functions and add source data (whith the standard license). Adding a DS is not really more then navigation because you can build a Query with all key figures and characteristics of a cube which gives you flexibility. That makes sense because there are no authority checks installed from SAP to avoid this (maybe this is different in combination with HANA and workspaces) .

Futhermore SAP has no possibility to measure how many users are doing which functions instead of recording every action of every user. But where should they do it? You could use it with BO or with Netweaver or in mixed Environments. The BO license check is done on BO platform and there you have no possibility to create new users which you need for connection (I'm not sure how this is monitored in a pure BW Environment without BO).

Furterhmore another possibility to add new data is using vba. You don't really need the buttons from the menu.

former_member110741
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Animikh Chaufhury,

Use the option Protect sheet

from Review Tab-> Protect Sheet and give password

this makes all the ribbon menu items are disabled/grayed out

(Insert data source option as well)

Thanks & Regards,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

@ Subhash: I'm not sure if protecting the sheet will prevent any data refresh?!

@ Animikh: I would propose the following solution: http://scn.sap.com/thread/3211405 ... which is creating your own ribbon menu and offering only the functionality you want the user to have. (It's not working in Office 2007, but as you are on 2013 Version it will work)

Regards, Martin

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you checked your BW backend authorizations?  Analysis Office uses those.

joakim_niklasson_2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Animikh is working in my project. The reason for the request is for pure licensing cost purposes. Our SAP account managers were pretty clear that for inserting new data providers you need "Author" access (ie more expensive licenses), so our plan was to only give this access to Power users.

But now we just tested using the normal "View on Demand" access level. For A-OLAP then you cannot insert new dataprovider (as expected), but for A-Office you can.

Which makes me think/hope SAP was incorrect in their statement, since there does not seem to be a standard way to control this.

BR //Joakim Niklasson