cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accelerating depreciation (100%) on Assets that were acquired in a closed fiscal year

mike_mccrary
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I am looking for some direction with accelerating depreciation a 100% on Assets that were acquired in a closed fiscal year.  What is the best practice for this process?

Prior to my takeover of support for Assets, my business partners would use depreciation key ‘LVA’ to complete this task and say that they have never had issues until this past year.  The depreciation key ‘LVA’ works correctly for Assets that were acquired in this fiscal year and that is what I expected.

Now my question is, what impact or concerns should I have if I were to create a new depreciation key (Z Copy) to accomplish this task?  Is this an option or will not work at all?

Thanks,

Mike

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

One cannot post depreciation in a closed fiscal year.

So better create asset with previous year's capitalisation date and Dep key LVA.

Then post acquisition vide T code ABSO TTY-401.

Depreciation will be posted in current year. That is correct in accounting standards perspective also.

Hope it is clear.

Regards,

GSR

mike_mccrary
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello GSR,

Thank you for your reply, but I just want to elaborate on this:  So, my asset is 2 years old (FY2013) and the company wants to accelerate the rest of the depreciation into this fiscal year(FY2015) w/o touching the past 2 years.  Is this really the only way to accompolish this?  It just seems like a lot of work for a pretty standard process.

Thanks again for your help,

Mike

NathanGenez
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do they want to write it off right now?  Or do they want to spread the depreciation calculation equally over the remaining periods in 2014?         

mike_mccrary
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Nathan,

They want to write it off in the current period.  Just to let you know though, we did resolve this issue.

The practice here is to keep the prior year’s Asset Accounting open and when we changed the depreciation key to LVA, it was trying to actually post in to FY2014 and not FY2015. So, we closed FY2014 in Asset accounting and tried it again in which it worked successfully.

With that said, I was wondering if you could tell me what the benefit is by keeping the prior year’s Asset accounting open?

Thank you,

Mike

NathanGenez
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no advantage to leaving it open and I'd consider it a messy habit to do so.  If you need to do something in the prior year, it's possible to re-open the year, make your change, and re-close it.  That's the proper way to do it... not leave it open indefinitely.

mike_mccrary
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for your help and we are going to close it from now on.

Thanks again,

Mike

Answers (0)