Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change the Server Name in Crystal reports 2011

former_member251899
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm not able to figure out how to change the server name in Crystal Reports 2011. I have developed a crystal reports 2011 report in the test BO 4.0 environment which connects to a test Oracle database SAPDWQ3, it was exported to the BO 4.0 sp6 environment. Now I want to point it to another test Oracle database Q1. So I imported the report to Crystal Reports 2011 designer, I then changed the connection from Q3 to Q1 (thru "Set Datasource Location" under "Database" and updated the report connection to Q1).

After doing all this when I run the report first thru Crystal Reports 2011 Designer, I see this prompt which asks me to enter user name, password for SAPDWQ3.CARRIER.UTC.COM even though I have changed the connection to SAPDWQ1.CARRIER.UTC.COM. I'm stumped on this please help. Thanks

Regards,

samique

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Actually, the best place to do this is in the CMC.

1.  Log in the CMC.

2.  Locate the report.

3.  Right-click on the report and select "Database Configuration".

4.  Set the "Custom Database Logon" information.

5.  Click on "Update".

6.  Right-click on the report again and select "Refresh Options".

7.  Uncheck "Default database logon information".

8.  Click on "Update".

This will set the db login info for the new environment and steps 6-8 will, I think, set it so that the custom logon info will not be overwritten the next time that you update the report.

-Dell

former_member251899
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Dell,

thanks for the response, I tried the steps that you mentioned, however those didn't work for me as I saw that the report first prompted to enter the SAPDWQ1 database credentials; which I did and then I was  prompted with the same SAPDWQ3 screen which I dont want it to appear. Please see.

First Prompt

Second Prompt

former_member251899
Participant
0 Kudos

All I want to know is, are the following prompts saved/hardcoded with in the report and if so where?

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have multiple data sources in the report, you need to set the data source, including the user ID and password for each.  You can find each of the data sources in a drop-down box at the top of the Database Configuration screen.

If you have dynamic prompts in your report, you'll need to open the Business View Manager (BVM) and do the following:

1. Find the prompt/LOV that you're using in the report.

2. There will be several objects with the following suffixes:

_DC:  This is the "Data Connection".  You'll need to change where this is pointing, set the user id and password, and set it to not prompt for login.

_DF:  This is the "Data Foundation" which defines which tables are available for objects that connect to this DF.

_BE:  This is the "Business Element" which defines which fields are available for objects that connect to this BE.

_BV:  This is the "Business View" which defines which fields are available for a specific "List of Values".

No Suffix:  This is the LOV that defines what data is available for a prompt.  After setting the DC to the correct database, I would right-click on the LOV and schedule it to "Run Now".  If this is successful, you have everything set up correctly.

- Prompt:  When one or more reports have a prompt based on a single LOV, there will be multiple Prompts.  These contain the prompt options that are set when configuring the prompt in Crystal.

ALL of these items can be reused - so it is best practice to configure your dynamic prompts in the BVM instead of in Crystal so that you can have a single DC for each database and you can reuse them in your reports.  Just creating all of your prompts in Crystal causes a LOT of bloat and confusion in the BVM and repository.

-Dell

former_member251899
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Dell. It worked. I was able to change the database connection for the Dynamic Prompts in the "_DC" files from Business View Manager.

However, my next question is how do I migrate this same crystal report from qa to prod? If I use LCM then how would the dynamic cascading prompts be migrated?

Regards,

samique

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You'll have to modify the _DC in prod to point to the correct database.  I haven't done a lot with migrating repository objects using LCM, but I think there may be an option that tells it to not overwrite the connection information.

-Dell

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member203168
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you do a 'set datasource location', make sure you select each table from the original datasource and the new datasource and then hit the update button.

Trying to change the datasource by clicking on the connection names doesn't really work well.

In case of subreports too, make sure you update each table as opposed to just updating the connection.

Hope this helps!

--Praveen G

former_member251899
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

I did try your suggestion, but that did not resolve the issue. thanks for the help.

Regards,

samique