cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCMS MTE "Update Status" is missing from CCMS monitoring

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

We had issues for the last few weeks that the MTE Class " Update Status" for one of our production system is not showing any updates on Solman RZ20.  We had open a message with  SAP and they advised us to perform the following.

"Execute the report RS_UPDATE_STARTUP one time manually in the transaction SE38 on the Central Instance of the Production system system and after this the Update monitoring structure will be correctly reported by the transaction RZ20 again."

The above solution worked just once, but after the system is bounced, we are experiencing the same problem.   Now I ran the above report, but is not working changing the status.

Please see below some screenshot that will help you understand the problem.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Adil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Dear Adil,

please check the configuration of the method CCMS_MC_UPDATE in RZ21, if it is configured to be started after monitoring segment start. Please attach screenshots about all tab for this method in RZ21.

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alwina,

Thank you for your reply, please find below screenshots of all the tab of the requested method.

Please let me know if you need any additional info.

Thank you

Adil

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Adil,

thank you, the configuration is OK. Could you please check selfmonitoring structure on the affected system under:

RZ20 --> SAP CCMS Technical Expert Monitors
             --> CCMS Selfmonitoring
                  --> <SID> --> MoniInfra_<instance>
                      --> Tooldispatching (short running tasks)

and in the view "Open Alerts" for "Messages" if you see an alert for the method CCMS_MC_UPDATE here, if this method has terminated? Is this method seen under terminated startup tools?

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alvina,

Please see attached.

Thank you

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes that is the place i wanted him to look.

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Adil,

under "Messages" there are 10 alerts, could you please display these alerts, for which data collectors the alerts are created?

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alvina,

Please find attached screenshot of display alerts.

Thank you.

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Adil,

I think it's the 2 error that you need to dig-in.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos
alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Divyanshu,

we are looking only for the method CCMS_MC_UPDATE, if it has terminated and why, this method creates update context.

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alwina,

As you can see in the screenshots, I could not find this method CCMS_MC_UPDATE in the display alerts.

Please advise.

Thank you

Adil

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I was asking him to look into build tree termination error(2nd one)

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Adil,

thank you, CCMS_MC_UPDATE is not under terminated methods.

Could you please try to reset the monitoring segment in "WARMUP" status in "RZ21 --> Topology --> Segment Overview --> Display Overview", please choose "change mode", choose the segment, where the update context is located (CI? how many instances has the system?), press the button "Reset Segment in "WARMUP" Status", wait a while and check the alerts in selfmonitoting structure again, if you see  CCMS_MC_UPDATE? It will start all startup methods like at the system start and you should check, if  CCMS_MC_UPDATE will be started or not.

Regards,
Alwina

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

this method has something to do with the process chains, most likely also monitor for process chains has problems, but it will not influence update context

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Divyanshu,

Please see screenshot of build tree termination.

Thanks

Adil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alwina,

We have 11 application servers plus the Central Instance.  I am in RZ21, do you want me to select Central Instance and click on on Reset Segment in WARMUP Status?

Thank you

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Adil,

could you please check first under RZ21 --> Topology --> Context Overview --> Display Overview, if you see Update context there and on which instance? If the update context is not available there, then please reset the segment of the CI.

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alwina,

I can see the Context Name: Update on one of the application server.  Do you want me to select that application server and click on Warm UP?

Thank you

Adil

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Adil,

yes, reset the segment of this application server and check in the selfmonitoring structure in RZ20 for this application server (MoniInfra_<application server with the update context>), if the method
CCMS_MC_UPDATE will terminate. Please check also, if you have enough space in monitoring segment on this instance under

--> CCMS Selfmonitoring
                     --> <SID> --> MoniInfra_<instance>
                          --> Space
                 double click on "FreeAlertSlots"

Is there enough space for MTEs?

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alwina,

I did reset the WARMUP and when I look into RZ20 Selef Monitoring for that application server, I could not find the Update in the Self motoring (see screenshot).  Also, there is enough space available.

Thank you

Adil

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

and under startup tools

--> CCMS Selfmonitoring
              --> <SID> --> CCMS_Selfmonitoring
                    --> Startuptools once per system

is it also not there?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alwina,

I have checked its not there either.  Please see screenshot.

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Adil,

then probably you need to delete the available update context and recreate it again. Please open under

--> System / All Monitoring Segments / All Monitoring Contexts

expand the whole tree for the application server, where you have found update context in RZ21, and search for "update".  Can you find any update MTEs here? Are these MTEs gray?

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alwina,

I don't see anything under All

Thanks

Adil

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Adil,

I think, you have to scroll to top, for many people this screen is confusing, if one just open it - this is empty, but with the scroll bar you should go to the top, and you will see all segments

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alvina,

I greatly appreciate your time and thank to you, I found the update in the, it looks like gray/white (see attached screenshot.

Thank you

Adil;

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Adil,

you are welcome 🙂 You have to delete this Update MTE and after that execute the report RS_UPDATE_STARTUP on CI, and after the update context was created correctly on CI, you can fix it in RZ21 to segment of CI. And it should not be missing after a restart again.

Please activate the maintenance function under "Extras --> Activate Maintenance function", select "Update" MTE and then choose "Nodes(MTEs)--> Delete", in the popup please choose option 4, confirm all popups. Check also in RZ21, if the Update context disappears also from RZ21. Execute RS_UPDATE_STARTUP in SE38 on CI. Can it be created now?

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alwina,

Once again I greatly appreciate your time and effort.  Since this is a production server, I will have to seek approval from my manager to perform the above steps.  I hope that should resolve this problem.  Also,SAP sent me email to open the system so that they can I login and take a look.  SAP will be login into the system any moment from now onwards. 

I will keep you posted in next couple of hours.

Thank you

Adil

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Alwina Enns - can't really stop myself from appreciating, the they way you have worked on this.

Awesome !! - 10 likes

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

thank you 🙂

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Adil,

OK, I think this gray Update MTE on the application server prevents creating of the Update context on CI, once you delete it, you should be able to recreate it on CI.

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alwana and Divyanshu,

Just to let you that we our security team just setup the userid/password for SAP, so hopefully SAP will be able login now and give me an update.

I will keep posted as soon as I hear from them.

Thank you

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Adil,

I'm also from SAP Support, from monitoring team at SAP, but your incident is not in our queue, so you will be supported by another support center (not from us).

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know that SAP advised move the Update context from application to server to Central Instance as per instructions below.  Also, after performing the below steps, I ran this report RS_UPDATE_STARTUP in client 000, but the status is still same for Update in RZ20.

transaction RZ21 -> Toplogy, Context,  Overview -> Display, the Update context is located on application server, but the CI for this system other server.

Can you please try to move the Update context to the CI by selecting change mode  ->  select the Update context  ->  click "Activate fixing" button  ->  choose central instance, and save.

I have already replied back to  SAP that it did not work and it might require a server bounce.

Thank you

Adil

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Adil,

server bounce is not required. Please delete the update context with option 4 and recreate it again by executing the report RS_UPDATE_STARTUP and fix the update context to shared memory of CI.

Regards,
Alwina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alvina,

This seems to be working now (see below).  I just performed the steps specified by SAP.  I did not delete Update context as you mention above.

I guess I had wait little  bit longer to take effect the changes.

Thank you and once again I greatly appreciate your time and effort.  I will keep you posted on Monday as we plan to bounce the production server over the weekend.

Thank you

Adil

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Adil,

good to hear that finally it has worked 🙂

Regards,
Alwina

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you see this mte in rz20 of your production system ? If yes, then

Goto self diagnostic of agents in rz20 and look for errors or rename ALM* files and restart your system.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thank you for your quick reply, yes I can see the same in RZ20 of the production system.  Let me check this step "Goto self diagnostic of agents in rz20"

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Divyanshu ,

I don't see this option "Goto self diagnostic of agents" in RZ20.  Can you please provide me steps.

Thank you

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Adil,

I would like you to check using below monitors.

Regards,

Divyanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Divyanshu,

I checked but could not find ALM* files or errors as you can see in the below screenshot.

Thank you

Adil

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Dear Adil,

please do not delete ALM* files, this is only in an emergency case, you will lose all active alerts and some configuration in RZ20. The update context is missing after system restart most likely because of the wrong configuration of the method CCMS_MC_UPDATE, most likely this method is not configured to be started after monitoring segment start.

Regards,
Alwina

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alwina,

I asked him to rename but not to delete.

Will that cause any issue if one switch backs to old ALM* files ?

Regards

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Divyanshu,

these are shared memory backup files, to switch back to old files the system needs to be stopped, shared memory needs to be cleaned up, and it will probably work to use old ALM* files. But one should check first, if this is really necessary to delete or rename these files.

Regards,
Alwina

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, that I understand. My point was that moving them back, will that cause any config problem ?

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I think it would be OK, the system at startup will read these files and build up RZ20 according to the information in this. But I'm not 100% sure, I need to tried it out first.

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Alwina