Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences between Make to Stock and Make to Order in SAP PP

former_member269053
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I have used the option Make to Stock and now I need to use the option Make to Order, I know the definitions of when I have to use MTS and when I have to use MTO,  but I need to know what are exactly the changes in SAP PP

Can you tell me what are exactly the differences between Make to Stock and Make to Order?

1.- What are the changes in the settings (SPRO)?

2.- What are the changes in the Master Data?

3.- What are the changes in the process?

4.- What are the changes in the transactions that should be used?

5.- What other differences are there?

Best regards,

Arnulfo Cordero Pradel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184574
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are using a product for MTS and now if you want to change to MTO then you need to change the planning strategy of the material in MRP 3 view in material master to MTO planning strategies like..20,50 etc..

1.- What are the changes in the settings (SPRO)?

no changes in SPRO required

2.- What are the changes in the Master Data?

material master MRP3 view change the planning strategies as said above

3.- What are the changes in the process?

Stock you will get now will be sales order stock and not unrestricted use stock...

4.- What are the changes in the transactions that should be used?

no changes in transactions..

5.- What other differences are there?

Sales order stock can be delivered to that particular sales order only..where as MTS

unrestricted use stock can be delivered to any sales order..

hope this helps...

Thanks

Kumar

former_member269053
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

3.-

Can I create a sales order if I do not have the BOM and Routing of the material?

Can I create a production order if I do not have a sales order?

4.-

Do I have to run the MRP with the transaction MD01 or I have to use other transaction?

Best regards,

Arnulfo Cordero Pradel

sandeep_praharaj
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Arnulfo,

3.-

Can I create a sales order if I do not have the BOM and Routing of the material? Yes

Can I create a production order if I do not have a sales order?

Yes through co01 with out sales order (it will be make to stock not make to order)

4.-

Do I have to run the MRP with the transaction MD01 or I have to use other transaction?

MD02- single item multilevel

MD03-single item single level

MD50-Sales order level.

MD01 - Complete run in a plant.

Thanks & Reagards

Sandeep Kumar Praharaj

kiran_kumar179
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Pradel,

In addition to Sandeep inputs you can set MRP background job in MDBT.

Br

KK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes for all your questions......all depends on your business needs

former_member269053
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi KIRAN, SANDEEP & PAVLO,

Your information is very helpful and clear

Best Regards,

Arnulfo Cordero Pradel

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Make to stock in standard - is when all production needs appears from internal production plan, that you put in md61. Material with 10 standard strategy......in the basis of this plan you run mrp, yhen after getting planned orders you create production orders.....

Make to order - is when all production needs appears from sales orders in SD module. Material with strategy 20(in standard)......In module SD users create sales orders and they appear in md04. Then you run MRP and as the same - get planned and production orders.

If the material is produced as to stock as from sales orders you can create your own strategy of combination 10 and 20 as strategy XX and put it into meterial. After that you can plan both as from md61 and from sales orders.....The production strategy is customized in SPRO........please, try to learn cources to do this without any help, it is easy....

good luck