cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parameter selection values not displayed after migration from Crystal ActiveX Viewer to .Net Viewer

derek_harrison
Explorer
0 Kudos

Our software has a screen embedded within it where the customer can run their Crystal reports, this used the ActiveX/COM report viewer which worked well enough and the customer was happy.

Because the ActiveX/COM report viewer is now obsolete we built a screen using the new .Net viewer.

Unfortunately the customer is now very unhappy because the .Net viewer is not displaying the selection criteria very well.

For example:

They have a report of sales for a branch, when they run the report the choose the branch to report on.
In the old screen using the ActiveX/COM viewer the report displayed a list of branches and they picked one from the list - see below:

In the new screen using the .Net Viewer they don't get a list, they have to type in the branch number - see below:

I've spent two hours searching the SAP site for answers and found nothing - I expect the answer is in there somewhere but I can't find it.

Has any experience this?

I don't know if this a deficiency in the .Net viewer or something I haven't done.

Any help gratefully received!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Derek,

Need more info on which version of the SDK you are using now?

What version of Crystal Reports did you update the report in?

Search in here and CR Designer Forum on using List of Values ( LOV ), you can statically populate the list or make them Dynamic but requires the report to be updated.

Hit the F1 key in CR Designer and search on the above also.

Also, in the .NET Viewer Properties there is an option to use saved Parameter values or not. Make sure it's set to false if using Static and true for Dynamic, but test to see what works best.

Also, be sure to turn off Verify Database options, that can discard the values.

Don

former_member188030
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Derek,

To add to Don's suggestions, make sure that the parameter field has the default values set.

Edit the parameter in CR designer and append the DB values.

-Bhushan

derek_harrison
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Don & Bhushan,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using the 13_0_5 SDK (dated 06 January 2013).

The report was written original in Crystal XI (I think) and has never been updated.
I have Crystal XI R2 and have tried saving the report in this - it made no difference.

The parameter list is dynamic - it picks up the list of branches from the database and there are no default values.

I will look for those settings and try changing them.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Derek

One thing that has not been mentioned is the Service Pack you are using (e.g.; 5). SAP Crystal Reports, Developer Version for Visual Studio .NET is now on SP 10, so I'd highly recommend updating. I don't off hand remember any specific fixes for parameters, but in the 5 SPs since SP 5, there have been Over 50 fixes, so... SP 10 download links are documented here:

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

derek_harrison
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Would you happen to remember the name of that property as I have not been able to find it yet.

I've found such properties as ViewTimeSelectionFormula and SelectionFormula but nothing that looks like a property to set whether to used save parameters or not.

I'm looking through the property reference at CrystalReportViewer Members on the MSDN site as it's the best reference I have yet found.

I can't get to the Properties Page on the .Net Viewer (assuming there is one) as I'm in Eclipse and not Visual Studio (it's a long story) but I can get to all the properties from my code.

Regards,
Derek

derek_harrison
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Ludek - I'll give that a go

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

derek_harrison
Explorer
0 Kudos

Ok,

I'm all up to date the SDK and runtime is on 13_0_10 - no change.

I've not managed to find the attribute that Don mentioned that defines whether the report uses the saved parameters or not - anybody know what it's called?

Also would you expect me to have to change the report because the runtime has changed from the ActiveX viewer to the .Net viewer?

I would have expected the report to work as before - this would mean I've probably missed setting property or calling some to make the report selection display like it used to in the Crystal ActiveX Viewer.

Anybody out there migrated from the old ActiveX viewer to the new .Net viewer and had similar problems?

Any ideas gratefully received!

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Don is off until Wednesday of next week. To be honest I am not quite sure what he meant by "option to use saved Parameter values or not". Only thing I can think of is the EnableParameterPrompt property. THis can be accessed through the viewer properties in the IDE or in code (CrystalReportViewer1.EnableParameterPrompt):

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

derek_harrison
Explorer
0 Kudos

I can't see that parameter in Visual Studio 2008 or 2012 on the Properties pages and my Eclipse based tool rejects it is not found during syntax check or compile.

It looks like you are using something different as your screen shows "CrystalDecisions.Web.CrystalReport" and mine is "CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms.Crys...".

My documentation shows that the EnableParameterPrompt property exists but that doesn't match with what I see in VS2008 or VS2012.

Even if there I don't know if this would be the answer as the report does actually prompt for parameters. In the old ActiveX viewer it picks up the list from the database (I've verified this by trying different databases) and displays the list of branches on the screen and the user can click on the branch to choose it but the .Net viewer on the exact same report (same folder, same PC, same user, same .rpt file) does not show the list.

Another odd thing that may or may not matter - even though I have installed CRforVS_13_0_10.exe I both VS2008 and VS2012 the tool-tip on the Crystal Reports Viewer in the tool box shows "CrystalReportViewer Version 13.0.2000.0 from SAP Business Objects .Net Component".
VS2003 doesn't show the viewer in the tool-box.

I was hoping this would be simple!

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you send a screenshot of the CR files referenced in your project?

- Ludek

derek_harrison
Explorer
0 Kudos

From Visual Studio 2008:

From the eclipse project:

<assembly name="CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=13.0.2000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<assembly name="CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms, Version=13.0.2000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/>

<assembly name="System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>

<assembly name="System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>

<assembly name="System.Security, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>

<assembly name="System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>

<assembly name="Accessibility, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>

<assembly name="System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>

<assembly name="System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>

<assembly name="System.Deployment, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>

<assembly name="System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>

<assembly name="System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Soap, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>

0 Kudos

Hi Derek,

This makes no sense... You stated:

"I can't get to the Properties Page on the .Net Viewer (assuming there is one) as I'm in Eclipse and not Visual Studio (it's a long story) but I can get to all the properties from my code."

How can you use .NET Assemblies in Eclipse? As far as I know it's a Java app Design tool so it's using the CR Java viewer and not the .NET viewer. You may be able to if you build a Windows viewer DLL and call that in a Java app if you can....

If you are there is no way to make this work. You need to get Visual Studio 2010, 2012 or 2013 and not the Express Versions. MS does not support plug-in in Express versions and CR is a plug-in.

Another odd part is you say you can't get to the properties page yet you posted an image of it:

See your post on

the property is ReuseParameterValuesonRefresh = False

Please explain, this makes no sense what you are doing, are you using Eclipse or VS 2012?

Don

derek_harrison
Explorer
0 Kudos

Don,
I said it was a long story 🙂

I'm using Progress OpenEdge 11.2 which has an Eclipse based IDE. Progress OpenEdge supports the use of .NET components. This is what my production code is written in. In this tool I don't have a property page for the CR Viewer but I can get to the properties from code and apart from this one problem it runs on the customers sites and the users can use their reports.

Because you mentioned this parameter I started a project in Visual Studio 2008 Standard and added the CR Viewer to a windows form just so that I could access the Property page and see the list of parameters.
As the properties list looked different to the one Ludek screen shot I started a second similar project in Visual Studio 2012 Professional and had a look at the properties page in there too. The screen shot of the properties page I posted is from Visual Studio 2012 Professional.

The available properties and methods seem to match in all three environments - if I can see the property in Visual Studio then I can get and/or set it from Progress OpenEdge/Eclipse.

Also:
I just tried setting "ReuseParameterValuesonRefresh" to false. It made no difference so I removed that code, and added code to display it instead. The value was false already.

derek_harrison
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,
I assume you guys are all volunteers and helping where you can, when you can.

Is there some formal route - paid support from SAP or anywhere else  - where I can get some help as I need to get this problem solved before my customer gets even angrier at me (if that's actually possible)?

I do appreciate your trying to help but I still have the problem and don't know what to try next.

Regards,

Derek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

All three of us are SAP employees, but SCN is not our primary attention grabber . You can obtain phone support here:

Crystal Single Case Technical Support - SAP Business Objects US Online Store | SAP Online Store

If this turns out to be a CR bug, the phone incident will be refunded, but at this time, I do think we're looking at a config issue of some sort, rather than a bug.

- Ludek