cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to sap, play with .rpt reports

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have downloaded a trial crystal report 2013 and I would like to play with some reports are running on our system but in order to don't destroy them, I want to know the next points:

• How identify the version of the actual file report file .rpt or the crystal report version was made, i would like to keep the original version all the time or during the test process.
  • some reports are working in our system that i will make a backup for them, the question is if something is wrong with the test report, the restoration to the original state should be replace the test file for the backup file into the original folder? do we need to stop the server first? what important considerations we need take before replace a file or after replacing a file.
  • For the viewer of reports, do we need an additional software? we have one viewer for the actual reports but I would like to have an additional viewer for the test process, Do we?.

if you need more info about the actual system we have please let me know.

I think for the moment answering the last questions i will be able to select the right version and create a backup before testing reports.

I will appreciate a response for it

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Emilio

How identify the version of the actual file report file .rpt or the crystal report version was made, i would like to keep the original version all the time or during the test process.

There is no "out of the box" way of determining what version of CR the report was created in. There are APIs in .NET and Java that will tell you this, but then you'd have to create an app your self. Alternatively, download the attached app created by Don WIlliams. When you open the report in this app, it will tell you what version of the designer the report was created in (note: After you download

the file, unzip it and rename to .exe):

Note 2: You may have to install the 4.0 framework before the above app will run.

some reports are working in our system that i will make a backup for them, the question is if something is wrong with the test report, the restoration to the original state should be replace the test file for the backup file into the original folder? do we need to stop the server first? what important considerations we need take before replace a file or after replacing a file.

I don't understand. If you have a back up, why would you want to do a "restoration"? Note that restoring the report and saving it will save it as version 14.1 and there is no Save as version X.

For the viewer of reports, do we need an additional software? we have one viewer for the actual reports but I would like to have an additional viewer for the test process, Do we?.

There is a number of viewers:

1) There is a viewer in the CR designer.

2) You can download the free viewer that looks much like the viewer in the designer (but it will not let you change db connections or modify the report). Download link:

SAP Crystal Reports viewer | Crystal Solutions| Business Intelligence | SME | SAP

3) You can create your own app in .NET or Java and these SDKs have their own viewers.

4) SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform (BO Enterprise) has it's own viewers.

5) SAP Report Application Server has viewers.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter