cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gray color background in PDF exported from Crystal Report not printing correctly in Digital Printer (CMYK)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am processing a crystal report on RAS server,and exporting it to PDF, using the RAS Dlls.

Dim Report As ReportClientDocument
Dim crExportData As New ByteArray
Dim crExportType As CrReportExportFormatEnum

crExportType = CrReportExportFormatEnum.crReportExportFormatPDF
crExportData = Report.PrintOutputController.Export(crExportType)

A gray background is applied to an object in crystal report, with RGB color code (216,216,216).

On exporting this report to pdf, the color appears as required.

However, when printing this PDF in a digital printer (uses CMYK color format), the color changes to Pinkish Gray.

The color remains gray as required, in other printers.

Is there any way to make the exported PDF CMYK compliant?

Please help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

From the info, I have no idea what version of .NET and CR you are using...

How is the printing from the CR designer?

How is the printing to another printer, say HP?

Do you have the latest updates for Digital Printer (CMYK) installed?

How does a plain pic with grey background print from a .NET app? (E.g.; is this a CR issue, or a framework issue? See:

RGB to CMYK (Plugin) - Plugins - Publishing ONLY! - Paint.NET Forum

RGB VS. CMYK: WHEN TO USE WHICH AND WHY - Crux Creative

http://www.sumydesigns.com/2012/12/06/color-rgb-vs-cmyk-web-color-vs-print-color/

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

From the info, I have no idea what version of .NET and CR you are using...

.Net Framework 4 and Crystal Report 2011

How is the printing from the CR designer?

I am unable to test printing directly from CR designer, because the printer is not connected to a machine with Visual Studio/Crystal Report installed.

How is the printing to another printer, say HP?

Other Xerox and HP printers print correct colors. This issue occurs only with Digital Printer.

How does a plain pic with grey background print from a .NET app? (E.g.; is this a CR issue, or a framework issue?

This doesn't seem to be a .Net framework issue. When pdf was downloaded directly from Crystal report, without using .Net and RAS DLL, the same issue occured.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

re.: .

Net Framework 4 and Crystal Report 2011

CR 2011 does not install any SDK. Please check the version of CR you are using, including the Service pack.

Re:

This doesn't seem to be a .Net framework issue. When pdf was downloaded directly from Crystal report, without using .Net and RAS DLL, the same issue occurred.

That does not prove that this is not an frm issue. Are you able to print any image setup as it is in CR from an application that uses the framework? This will be the only valid test.

Additionally, were you able to look at the links I provided?

BTW.; you can install an eval of CR 2013 to test printing from the designer. eval link:

SME Free Trials | SME Software | SAP

- Ludek

Message was edited by: Ludek Uher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your inputs, Ludek.

Here are some more details regarding the situation:

A Crystal report object (a box) with a gray background color (with RGB = 216,216,216), is exported to PDF using the RAS DLL. This PDF is then printed offline (no .Net link at this time), with a Digital Printer. The gray color turns into pinkish gray color.

I tried removing the RAS DLL, and instead directly run the crystal report, and exported to PDF. This PDF did not print the gray color correctly.

I tried to directly run the crystal report, and exported to Word. This word document also did not print the gray color correctly.

To verify that the printer prints colors correctly, I tried adding the same background color to new excel/word file, and converted to PDF. When this PDF was printed with the same printer, it printed with the correct gray color.

To summarize, the gray color is not printing correctly only when the PDF/Word is generated from Crystal Report (either directly from Crystal Report GUI, or using RAS DLL), and the printer used is Digital Printer. In all other cases, there is no issue.

At this stage, It is not possible for me to change theCrystal report/.Net/RAS version.

Thanks,

-Sweta

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Open the report in the designer go to the File menu. Select Report Options and enable Retain Original Image Color Depth.

- Ludek

Answers (0)