cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process to Upgrade SAP HANA from SPS06 to SPS07 on High Availability systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Our PRD system (BW on HANA) is running on High Availability environment, now we have a requirement to upgrade HANA SPS06 to SPS07, but I have following Queries on the same:

1) How we can upgrade in High Availability environment, we have total 4 hosts (3 active running hosts and one standby host- failover host)

2) As HDB will get restart numerous times whilst upgrading, can't services move to failover node at that time? what pre-cautions we need to take here and what is the best approach to upgrade in this environment.

Please share your views or experiences if you have already done this.

Thanks very much in advance !

Kind Regards,
Arun Reddy

Message was edited by: Tom Flanagan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's not how it works. When you run the updater, it will install the binaries and restart the cluster. As the cluster restarts, it will upgrade the database to the latest version.

This typically requires around 15 minutes of downtime and can be tested in your QA environment.

There is no mechanism for a rolling upgrade in HA environments, only if you use system replication. In that case you can initiate takeovers and switch between them.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Thanks very much for the swift response and valuable information !

I am still confused on this part, could you give me the steps what exactly needs to take care here please. or if you have any thread or document would also suffice for me.

Thanks again

Kind Regards,
Arun Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is an installation and upgrade guide online, which should cover what you need:

http://help.sap.com/hana/SAP_HANA_Server_Installation_Guide_en.pdf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

I already gone through the said document, but there it is no where mentioned the steps that needs to performed in High Availability scenario.

Also if i check in HANA studio, in life cycle management, there i could see three options for upgrade like normal, primary and secondary. But I am not sure which option i need to use here, could you please through some light here.

Also if possible can I request you to provide brief steps to perform the upgrade in High Availability scenario please.

Thanks in advance !

Kind Regards,
Arun Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

There's no difference in a scale-out. Only if you have system replication.