cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to Determine if a Table is used in a Report?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm looking to modify an existing report developed by someone previously employed.  I believe they are joining unneeded tables and I'd like to remove them. Is there a method that is useful to determine if a table/view is not being used in the report?

Just looking for any suggestions/advice on how to handle this.

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member203168
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Trey,

If you expand the Table/View if you find any Green Color Tick mark on the database field, then that field in table/view is using in the report.

If you remove any table/view from the report if that table is using in the report, then Crystal will prompt a warning message.

HTH

--Praveen G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, but if the table is not being used but is there linking to another table, will I get a warning?

former_member203168
Active Participant
0 Kudos

If table fields are not using in report, then it wont prompt any warning message.

--Praveen G

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Trey,

The best way to determine if a table is being used or not is to look at the SQL Query the report generates.  If a table is added to a report but no fields are being used, it will not appear in the query.

If the table is a linking table and no fields are being used, then it will still appear in the query because Crystal knows it's needed for the link.

Hope this helps,

Brian

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Brian,

While it's best to look at the SQL query, it doesn't 'always' include the table in the join when a field isn't used!

That can only happen if one of the 'enforce Join' options are selected for that link in the Links tab of rhr DB expert.

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Trey,

Try this.

In your report just goto field explorer ->database fields.

It will the command objects/tables that are added in your report.

If you want see which command object/table used in your report just expand those and check any of the fields belongs to the command objects contains a tick mark .

If there is a tick mark the fields that means the fields are using in that report.