Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smallest AWS instance to run the HANA trial virtual appliance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts

I'm looking to use the available free HANA virtual appliances, developer edition. In order to use this, a cloud provider such as Amazon web services is required. I'm trying to see what will be the smallest possible instance that can be setup in order to run the virtual appliance. The offer some really small options and some are even free for some time but i need to know if that will be enough for the HANA virtual appliance to work fine.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Francisco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

This link has a lot of great information. 

There is also a space for CAL on SCN.  I'd suggest you head over there.  However, to your question, you will need two EC2 instances and they are not free.  The costs are very minimal as long as you suspend the instances when you aren't using them.  I believe you pay around $2/hour of use (I think it's closer to $1.5) and $0.005 per Elastic IP address not attached to a running instance per hour.  My instance has costs me $11.93 for 7 hours of up time and 466 hours of suspended time.  

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

This link has a lot of great information. 

There is also a space for CAL on SCN.  I'd suggest you head over there.  However, to your question, you will need two EC2 instances and they are not free.  The costs are very minimal as long as you suspend the instances when you aren't using them.  I believe you pay around $2/hour of use (I think it's closer to $1.5) and $0.005 per Elastic IP address not attached to a running instance per hour.  My instance has costs me $11.93 for 7 hours of up time and 466 hours of suspended time.  

0 Kudos

Hello Aaron

Thanks for your reply, the link for the setup looks very helpful.

I have a couple extra questions based on your reply, i hope you can help with them:

1. You mention 2 EC2 instances, why 2? I thought one instance was enough for the connection.

2. There are several different options on the EC2 instances. I'm looking for an option to connect to the     CAL for training so i was thinking that i don't need a big instance but to try some of the HANA       

capabilities i was also thinking that an option with more than 1 processor is also need. What option

are you using?

3. Do you know how does it work if there are 2 users connecting to the instance at the same time on

terms of pricing? Does AWS charges by the instance independently of the numbers of users    

accessing it?

Thanks again for your help

Francisco

0 Kudos

one extra question

what is the Elastic IP used for?

thanks

0 Kudos

Hello Aaron

Can you please help with my extra questions?

1. You mention 2 EC2 instances, why 2? I thought one instance was enough for the connection.

2. There are several different options on the EC2 instances. I'm looking for an option to connect to the     CAL for training so i was thinking that i don't need a big instance but to try some of the HANA      

capabilities i was also thinking that an option with more than 1 processor is also need. What option

are you using?

3. Do you know how does it work if there are 2 users connecting to the instance at the same time on

terms of pricing? Does AWS charges by the instance independently of the numbers of users   

accessing it?

Thanks

Francisco

0 Kudos

Sorry, I didn't see your questions.  I'll answer them the best that I can but I am far from an expert in this area.

1. One will be for the database server (SUSE) and one for the application server (Windows).
  2. I used the smallest they had.  I forget the wording but it was the smallest option.
  3. I am not certainly but I don't believe AWS cares so much about the users as it does the data being transmitted.  You are charged per instance, per IP, and for the volume of the data.  Your data transmission will be large at first (without doing much at all) but that's from the setup process.