Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REFRESHING FIELDS

yurybrainin
Explorer
0 Kudos

I am using Crystal with VS 2012.

In order to use the fields in Crystal I save the Dataset as XML doc

(ie DS.WriteXml(Server.MapPath("~/Crystal/cccRptActivityOpcoCc.xml"), XmlWriteMode.WriteSchema);)

And then point the Crystal to the XML datasource and start using it.  Works great!!!

My questions is if my Datasource XML changes, like I add 5 extra fields and need to modify the report,

How do I do this without destroying all the fields currently on the report from the current XML.

Like for example I already used 10 fields from the XML in the Crystal, but now there are another 5 fields but all the original 10 fields are still there.

Every time I try to update the XML with the additional field it trashes my .RPT template by removing all the XML fields I already used in the template.

Can this be avoided?

Thanks,

Yury

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yury

Fields are removed if the data passed to the report are not what the report is expecting. See what happens if you point the CR designer to the new XML - I suspect you will get a message informing you that fields will be removed (runtime does not provide this message).

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

yurybrainin
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hey Ludik,

This is not a Runtime issue.  This is Design time issue in Visual Studio.

Everytime I add field to my XML I cannot add the 1 field to the RPT template (via VS) without it removing all the XML fields I already setup in the template.

Another words, I want to add fields to XML & RPT without loosing all my fields currently on the RPT template and still in the new XML.

How do I update the XML without loosing all my field references in Visual Studio?

Thanks,

Yury

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yuri

Actually, it really does not matter. A soon as there is data the report does not understand, it will remove the fields. This will be the case in the designer also. E.g.; you can download an eval of CR 2013 (v. 14.1.x), follow the same steps and the same result will be seen. E.g.; if fields are removed, there is an issue with the xml.

- Ludel

Answers (0)