cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it not mandatory to have Batch class defined against particular strategy type??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

While configuring BM, I have missed to add the Class to the Strategy type and the batch determination happening fine.

Also, Though the condition record is missing BM is happening well and fine, in this case what is the significance of having access sequence or maintaining condition records for BM??

Please help me understand this.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Madhu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I doubt that your search strategy works well, it may be by chance that you just got what you expected.

Maybe you have no high demands on your batch search. But without telling SAP based on what it shall search and with which values it shall search the results can only be right by chance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

I agree the demand on the Batch search is low and specific to few materials, but when see batch search is happening fine even with condition record missing, I am puzzled why should we have access sequence or maintaining condition records for BM when material classification itself can search a batch.

Please let me know if my understand is wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Madhu

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Maybe we can approach it from a different angle, can you eventually tell what your criteria is to determine a batch, then we might be able to construct a case where your search would not find the right batch.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a scenario like this:

A part number is being received from two different vendors of which we use parts from one vendor only for high precision manufacturing and from other we use only for low precision manufacturing.

For this I have created a class wit one single characteristic and two batches.

When I did gr I choose respective batch for material from respectiv vendor.

when I do movement 201upon providing the desired characteristic relevant batch is picked up for posting!!!

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I can understand the words but cannot really understand what you did.

What I understand is that you only have 2 batches.

you use always the same batch for the same vendor.

but what you do within the 201 movement is not really understood

Can you be a bit more technical. what transaction, where do you click, which tab, what do you enter?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

Sorry for confusing you, Here are the steps I followed, I have attached screen shots showing what exactly I did with 201 mvmt:

Created characteristic “MFG_LINE” type character

Created class Y2_BTH and added characteristic “MFG_LINE”

Created ROH material 513 and Assigned Batch class Y2_BTH in classification view

Created batch A with Characteristic “HPM” and batch B with Characteristic “LPM”

2 different POs created for Part 513 with Vendor ABC101 and ABC102.

Posted GR from Vendor ABC101 to batch A

Posted GR from Vendor ABC102 to batch B

These two batches is to be issued to different cost centers as per the requirement

When I wanted to issue goods to cost center through 201 upon clicking selection criteria for batches here and choosing the characteristic the right batch is determined:

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

okay, that makes it clearer.

Your original question was:

Though the condition record is missing BM is happening well and fine, in this case what is the significance of having access sequence or maintaining condition records for BM

My answer: The advantage of creating condition records is to avoid manual entries for the batch determination. You actually did nothing else than creating a "one-time-condition record" to find your batch.

You will not have a real advantage of using condition records in this scenario as you decide anyway manually which quality you want to use since you have no reference in your scenario that could enable SAP to pick automatically the right batch.

I give you an example.

Customer A wants HPM, Customer B want LPM

so you would setup 2 condition record2 one for customer A with selection criteria HPM, and one for customer B with selection criteria LPM.

The customer number is part of the access sequence to allow SAP to find the right condition record if execute a batch determination for a delivery. the customer is automatically taken from the data in the delivery, SAP is looking with this customer number for a condition record. it finds the condition record for that customer and based on the selection criteria it automatically finds the right batch.

The user entered 1 condition record that is used in thousands of future orders

Following your case the user had to enter the search criteria for thousand times for thousand orders.

So access sequences and conditions are saving the user a lot of time.

I actually would do your scenario even much easier. I had created a batch number HPM and the second batch number LPM.

And then I would just use F4 in the batch number field and either take the HPM or the LPM batch. No need of a determination at all. No need to enter selection criteria in MB1A .

Sounds better ?

Some critics. You probably start learning SAP and want become a consultant. Why do you start with a transaction that is soon be gone? It is already announced for some time that the old MB* transactions have been replaced in the very beginning of the 21st century by MIGO transaction and will be removed with the next release. you should be an example for your users and use the most recent transactions.

Answers (0)