cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration (BOXI3.1 - BI4.1) using UMT via Linux command lines

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have BO4.1 hosted on linux. I am currently doing migration from BOXI3.1 to BI4.1 and need to use linux scripts to call upgrade mgmt tool.

This is possible only for complete migration.

However I wanted to know:

If it is possible to do incremental migration as well using command lines.

What is the impact on Security Model in case of Complete Migration using command lines. Is it recommended?

Is it possible to do incremental migration with command lines keeping BIAR file as source?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you cannot use command line version of UMT for incremental migration, except if you already have BIAR files to import from.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

Thanks a lot for your response. I will be using BIAR files to do the migration. That is the only workaround I can find at this moment.

However I have few additional doubts. Would be great if you can give me some idea.

1. Considering command line migration if we migrate user/groups and security model as well along with objects, then what could be the impact? If BOE group is mapped to AD group, then will that association be impacted? I heard this was a problem in BI4.0 but has this got any better in lastest BI4.1? Do we need to manually re-map to BOE to AD?

2. Considering BI4.1 server is hosted on Linux, it is possible to install UMT client tool in Windows client as GUI? or this tool can only be accessed from server machine?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

SaM R

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

using BIAR files is not the only workaround, you can install full stack of BI4.1 on windows server and get UMT GUI tool that can do incremental migratons.

1. Is answered in the Upgrade guide (no you do not need to re-map groups)

2. Yes, it is possible to only install UMG GUI on windows , but it won;t work correctly , unless you install full stack of Bi4.1 server on such machine as UMT require server binaries. UMT GUI requirements are described in Upgrade guide.

0 Kudos

Hi,

Dennis is right. You can install the UMT only on Windows. With this variant you can also use an increment Upgrade even if your Destination BI 4.1 System is on LINUX.

Doing a Full Stack installation will do the trick. You can also go ahead and install the UMT only but you need additional components (as desribed from Denis). For more info check:

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1743789

And as always, when i read Upgrade Threads, i recommend you follow the Best Pactices for the UMT...makes live easier:

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1904814

Regards

-Seb.

rick_kruyf3
Explorer
0 Kudos

I agree with Sebastien and Dennis but with one caveat, the installation of the windows components does allow the UMT to be selected individually as the only component.  As with any other windows install, the installation installs the necessary files to be able to execute the UMT.  I am a consultant and have done this for 4 different companies so far without any issues.  These migrations include all types of content in BOE and the content is migrated properly.

A server would be best for the install as it is very memory intensive but there is a workaround that allows the UMT to be installed on a 64 bit workstation (check SCN).