cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Generic DB Output Adapter write to Vertica?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can we use Generic DB Output adapter to write Vertica? Is it supported?

Thanks,

Bulut

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bulut,

According to the documentation:

Database Input Adapter

The "supported" databases for JDBC are SAP Sybase ASE, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM DB2, Oracle, and KDB. The "supported" databases for ODBC are SAP Sybase ASE, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM DB2, Oracle, SAP Sybase IQ, SQL Anywhere®, TimesTen, MySQL 5.x, and PostgreSQL.

These are just the databases that QA has tested.

But since this is a generic database adapter, I would expect it to work with compliant ODBC drivers from other databases.  It appears that Vertica has an ODBC driver:

https://my.vertica.com/docs/4.1/HTML/Master/4137.htm

I would say, give it a try and see if it works.  If you get errors, we can always log a new feature request to add support for it.

Thanks,

Neal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neal,

I have tested Generic DB ouput adapter to connect to Vertica with ODBC and it works successfully.

However, row by row insert into Vertica may cause some performance problem when data streams to Vertica in a high frequency. Therefore I am trying to load data to Vertica by exporting data to a file and then loading it into Vertica. This is similar to IQ load operation (IQ output adapter). To do this, I am developing custom adapter with toolkit. Currently, I can export data to a file. But my problem is getting a service information, which is under Data Services, from the toolkit. I don't want to get user/password information from adapter parameters. I search this in the docs which are located $ESP_HOME/docs/adaptertoolkit but I could not find something related. Do I have chance to get the database connection information from a service?

Thanks and regards,

Bulut

former_member217348
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bulut,

You can use the Server.DataService class that is part of the ESP Java SDK (com.sybase.esp.sdk.Server.DataService).

Thanks,

Alice

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bulut,

Just curious, were you not able to use the batchLimit parameter on the output adapter to force it to write to Vertica in batches rather than one row at a time?

Thanks,

Neal