cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports versions and DSR files

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am working with an ancient VB6 application that has 25 or so reports attached to it.  These files are .dsr files.  I am having a problem opening them in the VB6 IDE and when I investigate (through talking to people here or researching on line - via CodeGuru,VBForums,StackOverflow etc.), I get conflicting reports of what I should be looking for and doing.

My question to anyone who can answer me quasi-intelligently is this:  Has Crystal Reports, in ANY of its previous versions, ever produced a DSR file as a report.  I know the versions since v8, I think, use the .RPT suffix.  I have been searching and talking to people and some say no, some say yes.  I figured someone here would definitively know.  I have tried to convert one of the dsr files to a Crystal Report file using VS 2008 (assuming it was Data Report file), but received the error that the file was not a Data Report file.

If you need any more information I will be glad to fill in any blanks necessary....

For the current application, the following is true:

XP Platform

VB6

Crystal Reports 8.5 installed, but I have Crystal Reports 7 dlls (Library and ActiveX Designer Runtime) available but not the full application.

Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated....

Thank you,

Gene Bonfiglo

Software Engineer

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Eugene,

It's been a while.... But DSR files are simply RPT files that were built as part of your VB 6 project but they are a different format so you can't simply rename them to RPT.

To get them into a RPT format when previewed in the VB 6 IDE right click on the report DSR file and select Save as CR Report file.

Or you can export them from the viewer to RPT format also.

As for VS 2008, I don't believe it supported DSR files since the RDC was retired in CR XI R2 ( version 11.5 ). And the Embedded Designer in VS 2008 does not support DSR's. They are managed reports so they have RPT file extensions.

Don

Senior Support Engineer

AGS Primary Support

Global Support Center Canada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply.  My problem is this.  I cannot open the DSR in the VB6 IDE, for reasons I attributed to a version difference.  The logfile for the DSRs state that they are having an issue with the OleObjectBlob property of the DSR file.  This property, when opening the DSR in Textpad, identifies the accompanying DSX file.  The first line in the DSR file states "VERSION 5.00".  But this is no help as I cannot open, with any real success, the DSX file either.  What I have found is that in the DSX file is the identifier "Seagate Crystal Reports ActiveX Designer", so I know these are Crystal Reports files version ????.

I have v8.5 installed, I have 2 support dlls and the viewer for v7, but nothing seems to help.  v8.5 will not open them (Invalid TLV record).

I have had a myriad of issues in trying to make this work.  When using the Crystal Reports v7 viewer (craxdui.dll) and the two support dlls, when I try to "add Crystal Report 7", it terminates Visual Studio (VB6).  v8.5 is no better, and I cannot find a viewer for that (I suspect there is not one).

Is this a version problem or do I not have the full picture?  I am, by my own admission, fairly new to CR, so it could be me (OK it usually is the newbie).

Thanks again,

Gene

0 Kudos

Hi Gene,

It's possible the files are Crystal version 5 which I think was supported in Visual Studio 5 but that number maybe referencing something else.

For CR 8.5 you need the Developer version to get all of the runtime for VS 6 to use, it's not just 2 dll's and the viewer.

Can you still run that old application before upgrading? If so the only way you'll likely be able to get the reports is to view each one and export to RPT format.

TSLV errors typically indicated missing runtime or wrong versions being used. You can't have multiple versions of CR installed on the same PC in 8.5 and previous. They would not work side by side.

Sorry can't help much, 8.5 is so old and we no longer support the RDC so I don't even have a PC image with it installed to even test.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Thanks for replying again.

I have version 8.5 installed, but I do not know if it is the developer edition.  I suspect not as when I look in Crystal Report Tools, there is nothing but the application itself.  The two support dlls are for version 7, on which I have given up for reasons stated in my missive.

I have the app up and running, currently without Crystal Reports, but I am going to put 8.5 in and see what happens.  I suspect nothing, especially if I do not have the developer edition installed.

If I install 8.5 Developer edition, will that allow me to do what you suggested above and view the report in execution and export it for RPT format?  Or am I misunderstanding that?

I know this is a Jurassic application, but the powers that be need to get this running, sooooooo I will get back to you when either make progress or suffer a psychotic episode.

Thanks again Don,

Gene

0 Kudos

Hi Gene,

So it's really not clear what you are trying to do...

If you are trying to get the old application to run then you should have the runtime available with the app itself. If you don't have it then good luck, it's no longer available form our site so you have to start over.

If you are trying to upgrade the VB 6 app to a newer version of the runtime, then NO, we no longer support that report engine nor have it available.

If the original app was using CR 7 RDC runtime then you are really hooped... unless someone out there still have it and willing to share it with you is about your only chance. If you are trying to upgrade the application to CR 8.5 runtime then you need the source and the Developer version of CR 8.5, then simply replace the references in the app from CR 7 to 8.5. I think it should upgrade without issues.

The point I was trying to make is run the old app. Preview each report and export them to RPT format. RPT format is the common file format and works in any of our SDK's now. DSR's were unique to VB 6 projects. Throw the old app away and upgrade to VS 2010, 2012 or 2013 .NET, VB or C#, and use the CR .NET runtime which you can download from this link:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7824

Other than that not much more we can for you....

Good luck

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Sorry to be so vague.  I think my newbie-ness is shining through a bit.

I think the closest scenario is the third one.  I am trying to resurrect this "Jurassic:" application in order to see what it does, so that it can be rewritten.  The problem is, or was, that it was not compiling and the problem was seen as Crystal Reports.  I removed Crystal from the equation and it turns out Crystal was not the only problem.  I, howevver, fixed the other issues and have gone back to the Crystal issue.

I cannot effectively use anything associated with CR7.  It causes errors and crashes the app and generally that's not acceptable.  Since I am working remotely, I am waiting to hear back from the server guy who set this up to see if he installed or even has the 8.5 Developer edition (I am fairly sure he did not install it even if he had it).  Assuming that it is or gets installed, I will implement it in the app and upgrade the DSR files as you suggested.

For 8.5 I currently have the following dlls:

Crystal Reports 8.5 ActiveX Designer Run Time Library (craxdrt.dll)

Crystal Reports 8.5 Standard Wizard Component (crystalwizard.dll)

Crystal Reports Viewer 8.5 (crviewer.dll)

These have been included in my application, but at the present time I cannot run my application with an older DSR file because the application shuts down with an "Unexpected Error - 50057"

If I may, can I leave this open for now, and get back to you when I have more results?  I have a feeling that I am missing some things (ie Developer edition and associated support files) and that I need to go hunting for them.

I appreciate the information you have given and would appreciate anything further you can tell me, which I understand due to the age of this app may be very little.

Thank you once again, Don,

Gene

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Would it be possible to use the Developer edition for Crystal 2008?  Apparently that is the Developer Version we have.  Would that do the job we discussed above?

Let me know....

Thank you,

Gene

0 Kudos

Hi Gene,

Problem is .NET does not support COM dll's very well. You could create a RDC app in .NET but we did not support it. And CR 2008 does not ship the RDC but it does come with the Embedded Report Designer that is integrated into VS 2008 IDE. It was able to use DSR's but it's still going to have problems with the old ones.

Problem is when upgrading it doesn't know what to do with the DSR files either, I think.

So once again, they must have a working version of this application somewhere, export to RPT format from the viewer and then VS 2008 and CR for VS will be able to use the RPT's.

You can find sample for .NET here:

NET RAS SDK Samples - Business Intelligence (BusinessObjects) - SCN Wiki

Don

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a similar problem and I fear that I may ultimately be 'hooped'.

We have a VB6 project that is only maintainable on an old WINNT server. No attempt was made to make it work on newer servers or local areas and the general action when it needed an update was 'it will only build on that box so remote to it, make the changes, make the exe then move it to a shared redist folder for release to the customer'. And at the end of the day, the exe would work so it wasn't really an issue...
...Till recently when the server decided it would die (rather apt as it was called ghost!)

Now a customer has asked for the imbedded crystal report to be changed slightly....

So I have been tasked with the job of getting it to work on another server.
I installed VB6,upgraded it SP6 then got the VB project in question from sourcesafe. I have then gone through the routine of loading various other packages (Spread 6.0 etc) to satisfy the missing references & components. This includes Crystal 8.5.
The CR8.5 we have is an upgrade from CR8 so I installed that then installed the 8.5 upgrade. Both are Development Edition.

And I now I have got to the point where I am getting exactly the same problem as Eugene is experiencing. I can make changes to the VB itself but double clicking the .dsr from project explorer gives a 'could not be loaded' error and advises that a log file has been created. The log file indicates the problem is due to problems with the oleObjectBlob property. And any attempt to 'make' the exe gives an "unexpected error (50057)"

My fear is that my problem is down to the .dsr being created within a VB6 environment under a WINNT o/s and that it is not compatible with the dll/ocx etc that would be installed for both VB6 and Crystal 8/8.5 under a Win2003 o/s.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, even with Developer Edition 8.0, you still cannot open the DSRs in the VB6 IDE?  Or did you try with version 8.5 but not with 8.0?

This is not good.  My boss and his hierarchy are trying to decide whether to spend the money on the software needed, and now I am not sure that 8.5 developer edition is going to be enough or even do the trick.

Should I go back to CR 7 Developer Edition, if such and edition exists?

Thank you for the reply Alan.

Gene

0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

It could be you are missing a dependency, use ProcessMonitor on a PC where it is working and compare to where it's not. Look for Windows or even third party dll's that may be missing. Modules may tell you also.

CR XI R2 still ships the RDC engine and supported in VB 6 so I don't see why you guys are having so many problems.

Copy your app onto a clean PC with NO CR runtime or files installed, ever.....

Purchase a Copy of CR XI R2, we don't have it available any more but I'm sure it is available out there somewhere....

Install it on your DEV PC. Open your project and replace all references to version 11.5. Open your WinForm with the CRViewer on it and delete it and replace it with the new one.

Your project should now open those DSR in Design mode within VB 6.

Try to do this on Windows Server 2003, not sure if VB 6 is supported on that OS or Windows XP if you still have it and you should be able to recompile and open and run the reports within the VS IDE and export to RPT format. now upgrade your app to CR for VS .NET

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gene,
The references within the project were 8.5 so I didn't try with 8.0

Hi Don,
Thanks for your reply..
We have CR XI R2. Not sure we have any spare user licenses though which is why I was persisting with the CR8.5

btw VB6 is compatible on 2003 and XP - in fact it I have maintained other VB6 projects under a Vista OS. Not sure about Win7 because I went straight to Win8 and it doesn't work on that.

Alan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for getting back, Don and Allen,

So to sum up here, the Developer Edition for CR 8.5 is probably not going to get the job done, but CR XI R2 (v11.5) will.

Don, I know you had your doubts about Crystal 2008 (v12) Developer Edition because "it would not know what to do with the DSR files either, I think.".  I know I have a copy of this version.

If CR XI R2 (v11.5) will get it done, then I will recommend that to my boss.  I think I can have my XP box cleaned out for this.  I am also running VB6 on XP with no issues.....well except this one.  And a Perl issue, but this is not the place for that.

Thank you gentlemen for your input and your help......I will let you know what happens when I try this.

Gene

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eugene

I've been following this conversation for a while and one thing I wonder about;

Where did these DSR files come from? From what I remember, the only way to create DSR files was in VB. And remember, DSR did not "live" by it's self. You should also have the associated .DCA and DCX files.

Now, given that you have the .DSR, .DCA and DCX files in the same directory, this used to work when trying to save out the DSRs to RPT:

1. Open the designer in the VB6 project

2. In the left-hand panel containing the "Database fields", "Formula fields", etc., right-click anywhere on the white space of that panel

3. This brings up a menu which includes a submenu labeled "Report" -- open the Report submenu

4. On the submenu is an item, "Save to Crystal Reports File" -- enter the new rpt file name.

E.g.; no need to actually run the DSR, see if that helps.

Another question; do you still have the app where the DSRs were created?

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

I believe the app that I am working on is the creating application.  The problem is that I cannot for the life of me bring a DSR to view in the IDE during design time.  I believe Don has said I need the developer version of 8.5 (I currently have 8.5 installed but it is NOT the developer version), to even try to do anything.  I cannot open a DSR, as it errors out and writes in the log file about OleObjectBlob property and its inability to deal with it.

So I cannot see it even see it in design time.  I have referenced craxdrt.dll and craxdui.dll when trying to use CR7 (These dlls are present, but the version is not installed).  When I try to use 8.5, I can find craxdrt.dll, but not craxdui.dll (again probably because it is not the developer edition).

To sum up, I cannot view any DSR anywhere at anytime.  It is really annoying.

Thank you for listening gentlemen,

Gene

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, to be able to do anything with CR in VB 6 you need the Developer SKU. And unfortunately, 8.5 is so old I doubt you will be able to obtain it. However, I may be wrong so giving sales a dingle and asking will not hurt: 866-681-3435

Referencing craxdrt and craxdui without the rest of the runtime is futile also.

I understand your annoyance and frustration, but you are not working with the correct product installs. It's kind of like trying to start a car - you have a key, but it's from a different car so it does not quite fit.

- Ludek