cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW Workspace in Analysis Office

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello fellows,

I am evaluating the workspace function for Analysis Office. AO Client is on version 1.4.8.3163.

I have already a BW Workspace defined and tested successfully the upload of a Local Provider and combination of a Local Provider with the Central Provider by creating a local CompositeProvider via the Workspace Designer (NW Business Client). Everything works fine so far.

In my scenario I want to define texts (descriptions) for a certain InfoObject (Pay Method), that has only KeyValues. The local Provider looks like this:

IDDescription
0credit card
1cash
2bank transfer
3bill

In AO Excel client the upload of that local provider works, if I select the for both columns the type "texts". But if I want to select the Type Dimension (InfoObject) I get an error, which states that the local provider XYZ could not be created, without further explanation. I also traced the error via BW-Trace in rstt, but the error was described the same short way like in AO Client. I suggest that selecting Type Dimension is just an indicator to define the column with the data type of the InfoObject (like a template). It isn´t clear to me why this error occurs.

In the next step I want to create a CompositeProvider, via AO client by adding the respective query on top of the central provider of the workspace to my workbook. After selecting the cell of the the query result the "Add" Button becomes active an I want to add the data created beforehand with the local provider. Now I don´t get the local provider for selection. Only the CompositeProvider I created via the NW Workspace Designer. The CompositeProvider has the same dimensions and key figures like the Query (based in central Provider) in the workbook.

If I add the CompProv I get an error which states "Der Index lag außerhalb des Bereichs. Er muss nicht negativ und kleiner als die Auflistung sein." I use the german Client... Its something like: the index is out of range of the cross table.

Can somebody help me on this?

Thanks for the help!

Regards

Waldemar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Waldemar

we were facing the same issue.

I just found note 2049222 - Can't create a local provider , it seems to be applicable for this problem and it solved it in our SAP BW 7.4 SP6 (for creating local providers).

Best regards,

Paul

Paul Vatter

thinkbetter AG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

just applied the note you mentioned, problem solved!

Many Thanks!

Best regards

Waldemar

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Waldemar,

just a guess... since I did not work with that so far:

Could it be your "Payment Method" Infoobject is e.g. CHAR 2 with ALPHA conversion and while mapping, your ID, it's checked against it and since it is not "01", "02" etc. it is declined?

Regards, Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the hints, but I tried already to format the the ID Column before like the following table, I just didn`t make that clear in my first post, sorry for that.

IDDescription
00credit card
01cash
02bank transfer

bill

I also tried to set the same columnheader like the InfoObject, but the same error occured. I just did the same steps like in this tutorial

I also tried to log the error by using the support options AO providing. Like BW-Tracing, Error Logs (logs only the error related to the index out of range issue, described for adding the CP in AO), NCO-Tracing ( even this makes no sence, since it tracks the .net RFC-Calls)

For me this looks like an error in the interface of BW and AO. Because the BW-Trace states it is an OLAP-Message Handler Exception:

My BW-System is on version 7.40 SP7 on HANA 1.00.74.01. Maybe someone had the same Issues with this system Configuration. If I Add the the local provider, with texts Datatype, like a "normal" DataSource from the BW Workspace, everything works fine. But If I want to cobbine my query result with this local Provider by Adding a CP from AO the local Prov isn´t shown, because the LP is not realted to dimension, I guess. Searched all SAP Notes already related to the topic Workspaces in Analysis Excel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Waldemar,

have you tried to enrich your local provider with the corresponding payment information available already in BW? What is the payment method's data?

If I#m getting you right, the reason for you not being able to select Dimension, is, that the inforamtion you add is not related or similar to inforamtion already existing in the BW. You need an extra column connecting your BW payment data with the description you want to add.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Sarah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sarah,

in BW the InfoObject "Payment Methods" has only Keys (0,1,2,3) I just want so add some information (in this case texts for the Keys) by defining a local provider that can relate to the keys and associate the keys to texts (descriptions). That worked by using the Web-client Workplace designer. If I build an CP on top of the Central Provider and the local provider the ID for Payment methods (0,1,2,3) are associated  the text. In the CP I have actually two InfoObjects the BW "normal" IO for Payment Methods and the IO from the Local Provider with descriptions.

But if I try to do the same scenario with Analysis Excel I cannot crate a CP by using the Add Button. And I cannot create a local provider which is related to the BW InfoObject.

Actually I can solve that by loading texts for the IO in BW, but I want to leverage the Workspace function, e.g. one department has special payment methods descriptions, defined locally. Keep in mind that this is not a real life scenario, it is just for evaluation purpose.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Waldemar,

I see your point. I've been working myself with Workspaces for quite a while to evaluate options and possible scenarios.

you may change the format of the ID in your analysis office local provider and check, whether the keys format is 1,2, 3 or there are more digits to it?

I assume Web Designer is more sophisticated, than the integration for analysis office, as this may only be used, to "update" the data from the local provider.