Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy BOM Component Characteristic value in material PR created by MRP Run

former_member684884
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

My requirement is I have materials like thread to maintain color characteristic i have create class - color- class type is 023 , now i want user should able to maintain characteristic value in BOM component (thread) of semifinish material.  FG , SFG  are not having any characteristic.

Now in PR and PO we can maintain characteristic value in Material Data --->Configuration tab , Configuration tab will come only when there is tick in material is configurable at material basic data 2 view of thread and in CU41 I have to maintain material for class type 300 - Variant , then in class assignment i have select class type 300 and 023 both and maintain class , both are having same characteristic please make me correct if i am doing wrong process, if i am not maintaining class assignment 300 in CU41, in manual PO system not allowing to enter characteristic value in configuration tab . so i maintain both class assignment 300 and 023.

Now for manual PR and PO system showing configuration tab and from PO configuration tab characteristic value is coming in MIGO automatically but when i am running MRP for finish material the auto PR generated by system for material thread is not showing configuration tab in Material Data of PR. I have maintain characteristic value in BOM --->Extra--->Batch Classification. Please guide me how to archive this.

Thanks & Regards

Akshay.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member684884
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Ok lets start step by step.

1. BOM Component is - THREAD_COTTON_4 , Characteristic is - Thread colour

I have maintain this material in cu41

3. NOw maintain bom for FInish Product which is not a configurable material (also no characteristics)

4. now maintain classification for Thread in BOM

5.Now I Run the MRP PR generated automatically for Material - THREAD_COTTON_4, but configuration tab is missing in PR

6. if i am creating PR Manually -ME51N , system showing configuration tab , where i can maintain characteristic value , which then reflecting in PO and from PO to MIGO

The above scenario I have tried by maintaining class type 023 and same characteristic in material Master. but result is same for auto generate PR by MRP- configuration tab is missing.

My requirement in this case is characteristic value should flow from BOM to PR generated by MRP.

Regards,

Akshay

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Akshay kukde,

Still i am unable to understand the reason for maintaining a characterstic value for a batch through BOM, I hope you are not changing BOM for every purchase order ?

can you explain what you expect by maintaing this one value for batch characterstic?

you can have many other simple option like

1) Create a material with colour included in it ex, Thread_red, Thread _green etc and use them in BOM

2) Use text in BOM to hold this discription for colour

3) Use batch management, class 023 in material master classification , defalut value for colour, purchase order will be created and while doing GR you can change in colur if its different then default you set earlier.

Akshay kukde wrote:

if i am creating PR Manually -ME51N , system showing configuration tab , where i can maintain characteristic value , which then reflecting in PO and from PO to MIGO

The above scenario I have tried by maintaining class type 023 and same characteristic in material Master. but result is same for auto generate PR by MRP- configuration tab is missing.

My requirement in this case is characteristic value should flow from BOM to PR generated by MRP.

when you manualy create PR you Thread material is consider to be a configurable material and thats why you are able to input configuration value, otherwise as soon as you put this configurable material inside a BOM of normal materila it loost its configuration feature, if you want you can create your parent material also as configurable material, assign same class to it and create configuration profile and take MRP run this time you will get PR with configuration tab as your thread get configuration derived from parent.

Hope above details may help you.

Check and reply, also mark replies helpful if it helps you.

Thanks

Ritesh

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member684884
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh,

I came to know that it is not possible without VC , and i can not apply VC here , so i tried with abaper to fetch characteristic value at MIGO from PO (Z field)  its done. ..... and we have complete this scenario. Thanks to guide me related to this.

Regards,

Akshay.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Akshay, for sharing final solution adn closing the thread.

Ritesh

former_member684884
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Ritesh ,

Here industry is textile 95% of finish products become useless once they dispatch against sales order. when next sale order came it is coming for new Item (new article no.- as article no. changed material code also changing ) it is very rare that same item (finish product ) will repeat,

so every time we have to create new FG and SFG and new BOM , but Raw material consumables are most of the time same. (like some fabric or threads, lables etc.).

now for this kind of scenario Variant configuration can not work effectively for finish product. so we added some extra tabs in material master to maintain article no. article type , design and color in finish product. But for Raw and consumable materials i don't want to create materials as color shade wise or lable code wise. thats why i have decided to go with characteristic for Raw and consumable materials.

Now as u said - as soon as you put this configurable material inside a BOM of normal materila it loost its configuration feature.

Do i need to make only semi finish and Raw material as a configurable or i have to make all material codes like FG , SFG and raw material as a configurable? with same class type and characteristic. or should i only keep tick on Configurable materials for all materials.

3) Use batch management, class 023 in material master classification , default value for color, purchase order will be created and while doing GR you can change in colur if its different then default you set earlier. -My user has requirement that don't give chance to change value of characteristic to GR person to avoid mistake. that's why i am trying characteristic from PR to PO and PO to GRN automatically.

2) Use text in BOM to hold this discription for colour - can u tell me user exit please , and do this texts will copy to PR text ?

Regards

Akshay

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Akshay kukde,

With what ever requirement we discussed till now my feeling is variant configuration no where fit for it, there is option to use batch management but again i can see if your second ,level materials use batches you need to use batch determination at first level to consume this batches received while doing GR's.

Also as you mentioned every finished component is one time use and after that it may be discarded only components which are consumables are reused.

My suggestion is look for simple solution like below.

Maintain a purchase order text in material master , put instructions like " Thread color RED" and once PR is generated and converted into PO this text will be copied into purchase order and will be useful for purchasing department.

You can open a thread in MM forum asking for a frugal solution to cover this requirement. I bealive there are many text element available in PO's and you can find a way to fetch item text from BOM items  in PO instead of going for VC or Batch management.

Please check and reply.

Thanks

Ritesh

former_member684884
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

As i discuss my Finish product(Ex- Cushion Cover ) is not having any characteristic and it is not a configurable material also (yes scenario is MTO) ,to prepare finish product we are using multiple type of  threads(material type- consumables) having different colors also for same color different vendor is having there different shade code also user wants to maintain that shade also. I am planing to create characteristic for color shade where user should maintain value(thread color shade code) manually in thread characteristic while creating BOM for Finish product. So my finish product is not a configurable Item.

Now if i am maintain characteristic value in BOM for material Thread , i want when MRP will generate auto PR characteristic value in should come automatically in PR from BOM . can it possible.... Please suggest me.

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Akshay kukde,

I didnt understand below

Akshay kukde wrote:

I am planing to create characteristic for color shade where user should maintain value(thread color shade code) manually in thread characteristic while creating BOM for Finish product. So my finish product is not a configurable Item.

how user can add characterstic value while creating bom? BOM's are maintained only once , and there are no place in BOM to maintain characterstic.

It will be better for replying if you can explain in brief step by step of teh process.

Thanks

Ritesh

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Akshay kukde,

If your subassembly is configurable automatically the parent (header for it) will become configurable.

so please first decide does your business process need configurable materials? If its user selecting type of thread while selecting finished product in sales order the finished product should be a configurable material or a different material number for every product color.

Please explain why you need to tie a attribute tags like color to threads if thread is a semifinished material? you can create different numbers for different color of thread.

Class type 023 is meant to be used for batch managed materials, there is no compulsion to use 023 along with 300. you can maintain class 023 in classification view of material master (MM01,MM02), complete settings to activate batch management and you would be able to input characteristic value while receiving this material through GR.

In ECC configurable material works only with make to order strategies , make to stock configurable material is not possible.

Please check and reply.

Also please mark replies helpful if it helps you.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Akshay.

I'm sorry but is not so clear for me the scenario.

Usually the configurable material starts from Sales Order in MTO scenario. From Sales Order you could configure material requested by the customer and the configuration will be propagated during MRP run into planned order or PR or Producion order.

So the SalesOrder contains the configuration of the requirements.

In your scenario, where is mantained the configuration of the requirements?

Regards.

former_member684884
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Rizzi,

My scenario is for finish and semifinish material there is no characteristic. characteristic is available only for raw material ex. Color of thread.  now i want to maintain these characteristic value in one of the  component of BOM (Component is Thread ) , My requirment is when I am running MRP for SFG , system is generating the auto PR , but how the characteristic value is flowing from BOM (Component is Thread) to Purchase Requi. of material thread. how to achieve this. which class type i should use, i tried with 023 , 300, 200 class types. Also for manual PR configuration tab is coming in PR material data. but for MRP generated PR configuration tab is not coming. please guide....

Thanks & Regards

Akshay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Akshay.

As written on last post, for my knowledge the configurable material is used on make-to-order scenario to define configurable finished product.

You can use on Make-to-stock scenario but is a finished product configured from configurable material.

The configuration is done on Sales Order or on Planned Independent Requirements. From this point the configuration could be propagated.

Regards.