cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade ASE 15.7.122 to 16 (ASEBS1600002_0-10013281)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

i am trying to upgrade my ASE installation 15.7 SP122 to version 16.0 with SAP Note 1982469 (SYB: Updating SAP ASE with saphostctrl / sapdbctrl)

Unfortunately this doesn´t work. I have sucessfully done steps 1 and 2.

In step 3 i used the command:

sapdbctrl LiveUpdate SYT -tsyb -mExecute -oTASK=UPDATE_ASE -oDROP_LOCATION="Z:\DB_Upgrade\ASE"

After a short waittime i get the following error in an outputfile called "upgrade_bs_rdbms.3496.out" in directory "C:\Program Files\SAP\hostctrl\work\SYT

===> Prepare old SAP ASE "SYT" for upgrade...

1> use master

1> sybmgmtdb..sp_sjobcontrol @name=NULL, @option="stop_js"

(return status = 0)

1> sp_configure "enable job scheduler", 0

(1 row affected)

Resulting configuration value and memory use have not changed from previous

values: new configuration value 0, previous value 0.

(return status = 0)

1> shutdown

Server SHUTDOWN by request.

ASE is terminating this process.

CT-LIBRARY error:

ct_results(): network packet layer: internal net library error: Net-Library operation terminated due to disconnect

===> Copy G:\sybase\SYT\ASE-15_0\sysam\SYT.properties to G:\sybase\SYT\ASE-16_0\sysam\SYT.properties

1 file(s) copied.

===> Upgrade SAP ASE "SYT"...

The log file for this session is 'G:\sybase\SYT\ASE-16_0\init\logs\log0910.001'.

Running task: start the SAP Server.

waiting for server 'SYT' to boot...

SERVER ERROR: Failed to boot server 'SYT'.

Task failed: start the SAP Server. Terminating configuration.

Configuration failed.

Exiting.

The log file for this session is 'G:\sybase\SYT\ASE-16_0\init\logs\log0910.001'.

Does anybody sucessfully upgraded to Version 16 and knows what kind of problem this is?

Many Thanks

Vierengel Stefan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i am sorry.... i totally forgot that thread. In the end we migrated the affected system to SAP HANA :-)...so i dont have any recent experience with updating to Version 16

Greetings

Stefan

Farid
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Waouhh  ... this discussion is quite scary if you intend to upgrade from ASE 15.7 to ASE 16 ...

Other than reinstalling ASE 16 from scratch or deciding to eventually migrate to HANA ....

are there any people out there who managed to perfom the upgrade ???

We are running SAP BW 7.4 on top of ASE 15.7 SP132 and are facing several Database issues during DTP loads, DSO activation, BW Statistic update, ...

According to sap note 2221681 - Database Statistics Maintenance on SAP BW/ASE systems : "The minimum recommended ASE version for BW/ASE systems is ASE v16.0/SP01/PL01."

I have never upgraded ASE, and before recommending our customers to upgrade their databases, is there some technical restrictions we need to consider ? Is it a safe operation ? I understand that SAP is now focused on HANA, but would we be suppoorted in case of an issue during the ASE upgrade ?

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Raoul,

in the last months I did a few database upgrades from ASE15 to ASE16. Most of them were made from ASE 15.7.135 to ASE 16.0.01.03. ASE 16.0.01.03 is now running with different SAP "applications" like BW, SCM, ERP, HR...and as far as I know there are no issues on ASE 16.0.01.03 and all the systems are running fine.

To upgrade from 15.7. I never used the "reinstalling version", at the beginning I used SAP note 1982469 and saphostctrl to upgrade to ASE16, sometimes this procedure was working fine, sometimes unfortunately not. There were a few reasons why the upgrade aborts and sometimes it was a bit difficult to restart and finish the upgrade. This is why I decided to switch to SAP note 2162715 and to perform the upgrade more or less manually. The last 5-10 upgrades to ASE 16 could be successfully made by SAP note 2162715 and the were no errors...

If you think about to upgrade to ASE 16.0.02.04 please also note SAP note 2348669 because this issue causes a really slow performance and the system is more or less unusuable...

Especially regarding BW systems, we also had the issues you describe on ASE 15.7, after upgrading to ASE 16 our BW systems are running fine :-).

Hope this helps :-).

Kind regards,

Stephan Zehm

Farid
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Very Inforrmative, thanks Stephan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have sybase ase 15.7 sp 135 business suite and we try to upgrade to sybase 16 sp 1 pl 3.We get the same error as you mentioned.Do you have any solution for this problem?

Best regards

Berk

Former Member
0 Kudos

no, even after raising with SAP no helpful solution was provided.

Finally, we installed a fresh system on 16 and did a backup restore.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Based on your file download you are trying to upgrade from ASE15.7/SP122 to ASE16/SP01/PL02 which is not allowed. Please refer to note: 1554717 - SYB: Planning information for SAP on ASE" and either upgrade to ASE16/SP00/PL03 or first upgrade to SP135 and then use this file to upgrade to ASE16/SP01/PL02.

Thanks,
Manhar

crisnormand
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

An upgrade from ASE 15.7 SP135 to ASE 16. SP01 PL02 will also fail, for same bug compatibility problem, see KBA  2231176 - SAP ASE: Error during major upgrade from SAP ASE 15.7 SP135 to SAP ASE 16.0 SP01 PL02

So, if this upgrade is not urgent, the best is to wait for the PL03.

Regards,

Cris

crisnormand
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Which is the exact ASE 16 version you are migrating to?

Regards,

Cris

former_member198560
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Can you please check the file in "G:\Sybase\SYT\ASE-16_0\install\SYT.log" .

Please share this log file to check for any errors in the ASE server.

~Regards

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Please check information in SAP note 2011550 - SYB: SAP ASE on Windows fails to start

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

We are also facing a similar issue in the same phase. ASE is not able to start the server.

How did you solve the problem. We checked the above not but we are not getting any memory related issue.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Puneet