cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help deciding between BPM and Business Workflow

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are in the phase of deciding which tool to use for SAP Application systems from Workflow and Business Rules Engine Point of view.

We recommended SAP Business Workflow + BRF+ for that.

But SAP Business Workflow is not having monitoring UI as good as SAP BPM.

So we are planning to propose the solution using SAP BPM instead of SAP Workflow.

Our main requirement is HR Org structure data fetching and it is achievable with SAP BPM what I have studied so far.

My question to the experts is whether SAP BPM can be integrated with SAP BRF+?

Thanks in advance

Message was edited by: Gareth Ryan - please don't use Urgent in your posts and try to use meaningful titles.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

ch_loos
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Check out the following article, which provides a good overview of both solutions and gives guidance when to use what:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a0bf9a3a-c607-2f10-3f82-cdeff15b7...

The biggest difference (besides the underlying technology stack) is that by modeling processes in BPMN, business users gain transparency and become more involved in BPM projects, leading to better results.

btw, SAP BPM is in the market for 5 years now and has more than one thousand productive customers.

former_member191643
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Would suggest Workflow + BRF. Though BPM gives you extra options as compared to Workflow, BPM is not completely stable. Still in the growing stages.

If you want consistency, Workflow is the right choice.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

go with sap workflow +brfplus

if you want trouble, then go with sap bpm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jun Wu,

I totally agree with you.But in terms of Monitoring UI,SAP BPM is far better than SAP Business Workflow.

So is it possible to replicate the same functionality using SAP BPM + SAP BRF+   instead of SAP Business Workflow + SAP BRF+?

Can you please tell me how can I achieve it?

Thanks in advance

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what monitoring function you mean in bpm?

in terms of maturity, bpm is far far far behind workflow

Sharathmg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Logically it should be possible. Its may not be seamless or straightforward as integrating a BRM rule within the process but should be possible through a service or RFC.

Check out this document link for more indepth understanding of the rules frameworks - BRM and BRF It should give you some hints on integrating BRF with BPM.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Sharath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sharath,

Thanks for the valuable reply.

I just read from one of the replies on SDN that BRFPlus can be called from BPM using the RFC call or Web Service.

Can you please tell me how?

Its really urgent.

Thanks in advance

Sharathmg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

With the limited experience in BRF, I can visualize the solution as follows:

1. Create a function module in ABAP, which invokes the BRF-rule. Expose the required parameters in the function module structure

2. Make the function module, remote-enabled. Optionally, convert the RFC as web service.

3. In BPM, consume the service/RFC in one of the steps.

Its a visualization and you need put it some work to test it out.

Regards,

Sharath